Spitfire F22 question.

Started by JayBee, September 19, 2012, 04:07:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JayBee

I am currently working on the Airfix Spit. F22 for a WhIf that is so cunning that even the Wooksta may not be able to work out why it is. (Here I take my inspiration from the said Gentleman).
My question concerns the colours of the signal lamps in the centre section underside.
The colour scheme diagrams show them to be, from the front, Green, Yellow, Red.
The instructions (Section 6) shows them to be, from the front, Red, Green, Yellow.

Which is correct?

I am sure there is someone out there able to tell me. I just hope that all the answers I get agree!

Jim
Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!

PR19_Kit

This is WhiffWorld JayBee, so does it matter?  ;D

Blue, Pink and Turquoise could look good............. ;)
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Rheged

Quote from: PR19_Kit on September 19, 2012, 04:30:40 AM
This is WhiffWorld JayBee, so does it matter?  ;D

Blue, Pink and Turquoise could look good............. ;)

Pink and Turquoise ???   This sounds more like Radish speak!!.........or will he suggest the more fashionable colours of cerise,taupe and teal?

I concurwith Kit.......In Whiffworld you do what YOU think is appropriate
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

NARSES2

Jim, I've gone (from the front) red, green, yellow. This is as per the instructions and drawings in the 1/48 Seafire XVII
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Mr.Creak

4+ Publications, Mark 1 Guide Spitfire F Mk.22/24 has these:

Which look yellow, green and red.

Interestingly the caption for the 2nd pic reads: ... (front to rear: Amber, Green and Red).
But, to me, the "green" looks blue and the "amber" looks black.

YMMV.
What if... I had a brain?

NARSES2

Just checked the profiles in "On Target" Seafire book and they are red, green, yellow (amber) from the front. My head is starting to hurt  :blink:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

JayBee

Thanks guys for the input, I do believe I can see the way forward from here.
This WhIf has to be so RW correct apart from ..... and.....  :wacko:
Thanks again for all your input.

Chris, if your head is feeling that bad try taking some more water in it!  :cheers:

Jim

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Mossie

Quote from: Mr.Creak on September 19, 2012, 07:32:12 AM
4+ Publications, Mark 1 Guide Spitfire F Mk.22/24 has these:

Which look yellow, green and red.

Interestingly the caption for the 2nd pic reads: ... (front to rear: Amber, Green and Red).
But, to me, the "green" looks blue and the "amber" looks black.

YMMV.

IIRC, some green lights in the WWII/early post war era were yellow bulbs with blue lenses.  So if that's the case, the 'black' lens could possibly be clear in shadow.  It also could be amber but showing up dark due to the poor lighting.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

jcf

Not so much yellow bulbs as the fact that the DC bulbs put out a decidely yellowish light.
A bluish/aquamarine glass seems to be pretty much the rule, as I've also seen it on vintage
boat nav lights.

JayBee

To settle this question I took a trip up to Glasgow this afternoon to have a look at the spitfire F21 that is hanging in the Kelvingrove Museum/Art Gallery.
As you can see from these photos the colours are from the front  Yellow, Green, Red.
This of course does assume that a/ the Kelvingrove Spit is correct, and b/ all Spit's had those lights in the same order.  :blink: :rolleyes: :wacko:

Jim

Cats are not real. 

PR19_Kit

And having sorted out the correct order, what were the darn lights FOR anyway?  :banghead:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

JayBee

IIRC they were used to flash the 'colours of the day' for identification. A sort of earlier idea before IFF.

Jim

Cats are not real. 

perttime

I was just browsing photos of Seafire 17 SX336...

... and the lights on it are red, amber, green, from front to rear  :wacko:

You can get a larger photo at:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/30080678@N04/4136101223

JayBee

Cats are not real. 

PR19_Kit

Perhaps each Mark has a different arrangement?

Or maybe Supermarine just installed at them at random?

Regards
Kit