Spitfire F22 question.

Started by JayBee, September 19, 2012, 04:07:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gondor

Would it really matter as long as the correct light lit when you flipped the appropriate switch?

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

perttime

Does anyone have a chance to get a peek underneath the F.24 VN485 at Duxford?

How were they used for ID?

One possibility is that the lights could be arranged a few different ways. Looks like they wouldn't be hard to remove and install.
http://spitfirespares.co.uk/Pages/lighting.html

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Gondor on September 22, 2012, 03:49:15 PM
Would it really matter as long as the correct light lit when you flipped the appropriate switch?

Not at all, but the wiring system for every aircraft would have been different.

This thread will presage hordes of us grovelling undeneath every Spitfire on display anywhere now, scribbling notes as we go.  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Rheged

Quote from: PR19_Kit on September 23, 2012, 01:10:25 AM
Quote from: Gondor on September 22, 2012, 03:49:15 PM

Not at all, but the wiring system for every aircraft would have been different.

This thread will presage hordes of us grovelling undeneath every Spitfire on display anywhere now, scribbling notes as we go.  ;D

Good morning Kit.   This  thread   is in great  danger   of  introducing the sport of Spitfire Grovelling in the next Olympics!
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

JayBee

Well that is one thing to be said for the F21 at Kelvingrove, being hung from the ceiling there is no grovelling required. Which, given the state of my knees is just as well.  :rolleyes:
Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!

Geoff

I have a nasty suspision that the panel/order of lights got changed around during maintanence and as long as the switches operated the right light it did not matter. Corse if the wiring got altered and you are showing green when the good guys are showing amber - you is toast!

Spifire grovling - that I would watch.

NARSES2

If indeed they were used for identification (and I've wondered what they were for as well) then no it probably wouldn't matter in which order they were as long as they were flashed in the right sequence.

But didn't the RAF have electronic IFF ? or was that just used to ID yourself to radar ? I'm even more confused now  :banghead: :banghead:

As for Spitfire grovelling, it should be taught in schools  ;D I'm now begining to have some amusing visions of the Hendon show next year  ;D ;D
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Gondor

Synchronised Spitfire Grovelling anyone?  :blink:

Gondor

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

TallEng

Aircraft recognition lights is what they are, an early form of IFF.
And the order of the lights in question?

The white light was on top of the airframe somewhere, but not always fitted as I understand.
So it looks like the order is Red, Green, Amber.
Hope that helps ;D

Regards
Keith
The British have raised their security level from "Miffed" to "Peeved". Soon though, security levels may be raised yet again to "Irritated" or even "A Bit Cross". Londoners have not been "A Bit Cross" since the Blitz in 1940 when tea supplies ran out for three weeks

Rheged

Quote from: Gondor on September 23, 2012, 03:11:06 AM
Synchronised Spitfire Grovelling anyone?  :blink:

Gondor

I'd thought of Spitfire Grovelling   as an individual event .   The team equivalent   is   surely group Lancaster Limboing ;  and as for  the  Olympic pool ..........what they get up to under the Walrus (individual) or  Sunderland (team)  is anyone's guess.  

Sorry,  I apologise  for the introduction of the thread  drift virus!

Further bit added later.  Mrs Rheged   points out that theseare all British  aircraft.  What  would the   equivalents be in other countries.........? Think how the USA took the game of Rounders, and made Baseball out of it.

Stuka squirming  or  Corsair crawling anyone?
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

NARSES2

Quote from: TallEng on September 23, 2012, 03:42:49 AM

So it looks like the order is Red, Green, Amber.
Hope that helps ;D

Regards
Keith

You are assuming of course that the RAF operated logically, now from my experience of HMG very few departments do, and if they do it's infuriating logic. Logic designed to turn your hair white overnight  :banghead:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

perttime

Looks like US aircraft used Red, Green, Amber, too.
http://www.ww2aircraft.net/forum/aviation/recognitiion-lights-11908.html

When did everybody start using them?

JayBee

I believe what I have seen with my own eyes in Kelvingrove. So mine will be Yelow, Grren, Red from the front.
If anyone who visits the Glasgow show objects, then take a walk across the road and look up at the real thing.

Jim
Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!

Gondor

ChrisF

I thought spitfire grovelling was concerned with the corect shade of green for the interior ?!

*Runs and hides*