Supacat Jackal and Coyote

Started by Mossie, September 20, 2012, 03:59:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mossie

Modern kit is harder to come by, Tamiya do a few Hummers, Academy a few motorised cold war/modern MBT's but not much else.  I'm hoping the scene expands as 1/48 seems the Goldilocks scale for me, 1/72 or 1/76 is small, 1/35 too big and expensive, 1/48 just right.  The WWII ranges are expanding nicely so it seems there's interest in armour in this scale so hopefully modern stuff will be just a matter of time.

Airfix has released several other kits in their Afghanistan theme, the Snatch and WMIK land Rovers, troops on patrol, a couple of resin buildings and their new Lynx fits in nicely.  They started hitting the shops in the UK a couple of weeks ago.  The Jackal/Coyote and vehicle crew should be along soon.  There's a lot of interest in them so hopefully it gather momentum for Airfix and other manufacturers will catch on.
http://www.airfix.com/airfix-products/new-models-for-2012/afghanistan/
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Weaver

Quote from: coolpop6307 on September 25, 2012, 03:17:36 PM
How could you make one into a anti aircraft one

Thanks
  Joshua

Shouldn't be that hard to model a Starstreak LML launcher:

"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

kitnut617

Quote from: Mossie on September 26, 2012, 03:44:58 AM
Modern kit is harder to come by, Tamiya do a few Hummers, Academy a few motorised cold war/modern MBT's but not much else.  I'm hoping the scene expands as 1/48 seems the Goldilocks scale for me, 1/72 or 1/76 is small, 1/35 too big and expensive, 1/48 just right.  The WWII ranges are expanding nicely so it seems there's interest in armour in this scale so hopefully modern stuff will be just a matter of time.

Airfix has released several other kits in their Afghanistan theme, the Snatch and WMIK land Rovers, troops on patrol, a couple of resin buildings and their new Lynx fits in nicely.  They started hitting the shops in the UK a couple of weeks ago.  The Jackal/Coyote and vehicle crew should be along soon.  There's a lot of interest in them so hopefully it gather momentum for Airfix and other manufacturers will catch on.
http://www.airfix.com/airfix-products/new-models-for-2012/afghanistan/

Thanks Simon,  I've always wonder why armour went 1/35, nothing else is in that scale.  I could understand if they had gone 1/32 as there's loads of other stuff in that scale but with 1/48 there doesn't seem to be very much.
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

jcf

Quote from: kitnut617 on September 26, 2012, 06:10:34 AM

Thanks Simon,  I've always wonder why armour went 1/35, nothing else is in that scale.  I could understand if they had gone 1/32 as there's loads of other stuff in that scale but with 1/48 there doesn't seem to be very much.

One word Tamiya.

Prior to Tamiya introducing their standardized 1/35th range of vehicles and accessories, larger scale
armour models were a hodg-podge of scales. Primarily 1/40th and 1/32nd from US manufacturers, although
oddly enough Monogram had a couple of 1/35th kits in the late '50s and Aurora did a few 1/48th. Outside of
the US was a variety of scales with even some 1/30th scale kits from Japanese manufacturers.

Tamiya's decision to produce not only vehicles but also an extensive range of figures and accessories pretty
much created armour modelling as we know it. From that point on if you wanted to compete in the market,
you went with 1/35th.

Steel Penguin

if you dont mind working from wargames resin ( for less than you might think it costs)  look here for a few
http://www.hlbs.co.uk/
the things you learn, give your mind the wings to fly, and the chains to hold yourself steady
take off and nuke the site form orbit, nope, time for the real thing, CAM and gridfire, call special circumstances. 
wow, its like freefalling into the Geofront
Not a member of the Hufflepuff conspiracy!

coolpop6307

Group build anyone?

Thanks
  Joshua
"I am a tangerine, and no one can see me"
"Your despicable!!"
"EHHHH Whats up doc?"

rickshaw

Quote from: Steel Penguin on September 26, 2012, 10:43:59 AM
if you dont mind working from wargames resin ( for less than you might think it costs)  look here for a few
http://www.hlbs.co.uk/

Problem is most wargames manufacturers have, shall we say, a "flexible" idea on the concept of scale and proportion, particularly for their figures.  Either they end up looking like they're wearing spacesuits and carrying over-sized weapons or they look anorexic and carrying under-sized weapons.  There seems to have developed in the last 10-15 years a wargaming ethos that all figures must look like over-sized super-he-men.  I blame Warhammer.
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

Steel Penguin

i hear that, thought the above link is maily for the 1:48 vehicles that they produce, which are ( i think) pretty good. They used to do a range of troops to go with them, that wernt bad  but have stoped at the moment as they were being sold as moderns but wernt modern enough for the sculpter.  Proportion wise they were good  with some minor alowances for the problems of casting. ( i have had a couple of good long chats with the sculptors, and while they do try to get as close as possible the white metal for the figs does limit the size of some things due to strength / weight)
the things you learn, give your mind the wings to fly, and the chains to hold yourself steady
take off and nuke the site form orbit, nope, time for the real thing, CAM and gridfire, call special circumstances. 
wow, its like freefalling into the Geofront
Not a member of the Hufflepuff conspiracy!

NARSES2

Quote from: rickshaw on September 26, 2012, 06:55:09 PM
There seems to have developed in the last 10-15 years a wargaming ethos that all figures must look like over-sized super-he-men.  I blame Warhammer.

Been going on for 50 years or so. If you look at the original Hinton Hunt 20mm scale figs and then the slightly latter Miniature Figurines 20mm figures, there's quite a height difference. Miniature figurines 20mm figures then started to grow and eventually became 25mm, the old 20mm figures being almost then current 15mm  :banghead: I've some old Alberken 20mm figs which are probably half the size of current 25mm ranges and smaller then 15mm ???

In aircraft modelling a lot of older (60's/70's) Japanese aircraft kits which are still readily available on the second hand market are 1/75 (I think they were originally marketed as such) and some are probably nearer 1/85 ??

Anyway back on subject. I agree that 1/48 is a nice scale for armour and hope that Airfix have enough success with this new stuff to consider a Warrior ?

Chris
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

DarrenP

1: Starstreak shoulder launched version was in the italeri airdefence weapons pack

2:would love to see Jackal and Coyote replacing Pinzgauer as 105mm light gun tractor. Or maybe replacing Pinzgauer and Wolf fleets

Weaver

Quote from: DarrenP on July 01, 2014, 10:16:23 AM
1: Starstreak shoulder launched version was in the italeri airdefence weapons pack

2:would love to see Jackal and Coyote replacing Pinzgauer as 105mm light gun tractor. Or maybe replacing Pinzgauer and Wolf fleets

Looks like that Italeri set had an RBS-70 on a stand that would go straight on the Coyote, and it also had what looks like a 30mm ASP cannon which was proposed for all sorts of SPECFOR light vehicles.

EDIT : just found out that the gun is a 25mm Bushmaster, not an ASP. Still make a good addition though.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

darthspud

ooo, now where would I find the italeri air defence set?

I've got a Jackal, Coyote and three rovers plus two sets of vehicle crew/patrol figures and the HVM /Starstreak system would be great addition.

I know Hannants don't have any , neither does evilbay.
ideas?
too old for a paper round, too young for me pensions, dammit, back to work then!

DarrenP

I prefer it if Airfix joined the rest and did the 1:48th range in 1:35's and yes added warrior and 105mm Light Gun they did to the Light gun in polythene mould in 1:32 many years ago and they also did a range of vehicles in 1:35 now with italeri

proditor

I got the 2 rover combo set and the Jackal at my LHS' yearly sale, and I'm going to be using them in my superhero games for my Hydra/Cobra/villainous bad guy group; Oni.  I got some awesome minion figures here: http://crossoverminiatures.com/ and they'll form the bulk of the baddies.  My SHIELD analog is going to get Hummers.  Of course, I'm in the states, so feel free to reverse the vehicle roles, shake, stir, and season to taste.  ;)

DarrenP

looks like BW models is no more cept someone has taken over