Horsa, Operation Coronet- Complete.

Started by sandiego89, September 20, 2012, 01:30:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rickshaw

Quote from: Mossie on September 24, 2012, 04:09:03 AM
I know, but stick the figures in to an online power to weight ratio calculator and the Horsa with Gypsy six's comes out well compared to a sports glider.

Mmm, I'll take your word for it. I can't find such a calculator for aircraft.
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

Mossie

All I used was a simple calculator, p/w doesn't matter what vehicle it's applied to.  Adding in drag factors and such, well, that's for aviation engineers!
http://www.easycalculation.com/physics/fluid-mechanics/power-to-weight-ratio.php
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

sandiego89

Richshaw, the Gipsy's are only there to give it a little more oomph- not to takeoff on its own, not to sustain flight, not to dogfight. ;D  Granted they will only provide a little thrust, but that is all I wanted for my planned scenario.  Just a little glide extender so the crew could better pick up the LZ.  Avoiding a flooded rice paddy is a key concern for my scenario.  A 750 to 1000 HP engine would indeed give more thrust, but would weigh much more and effectivley turn this into a motorized transport- not something I wanted to do.  Fuel will be nowhere near 30 minutes- we are talking a few minutes tops.  The Gispys are a low mass engine and low drag. 

Using your words, maybe still a brick, but a brick with a little push!

Thank you for the input and comments Mossie.       
Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

sandiego89

A little more work.  Pre-painting done. Cockpit work.  Cruddy photo- will try another, it has nice detail for control wheels, etc. 

The kit has well done fuselage breaks if you want to show the detachable tail or swing nose, depending on the version you decide to build.  The forward port door can also be open or closed with cut lines scribed on the fuselage interior.

Dave "Sandiego89"

sandiego89

Quote from: salt6 on September 24, 2012, 04:25:52 PM
How are you determining the thrust angle of the engines?

They will be aligned with the fuselage, they may appear a little askew in the last picture as they are just tacked on with a bit of tape. 
Dave "Sandiego89"

sandiego89

Finished.  Tiger Force Horse used in support of Operation Coronet, March 1st 1946.  Used to bring light artillery and troops to secure main roads and to support amphibious landings near the the Tokyo plain. "J4"  delivered an anti- tank weapon to secure a main road, preventing Japanese reinforcements moving towards the beach head.  

To increase the glide distance a pair of gyspy six engines were added.  This gave a few additional critical moments for the crews to identify and maneuever towards optimal landing zones. The engines were used to assist on take off, were then feathered for the ferry flight behind the tow plane, and were re-started on the glide towards the target.  

Upon landing, tail removed and 6pdr being readied for action.      

Take off configuration.  Wheels on.  

Dave "Sandiego89"

Tophe

[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

Rheged

Quote from: sandiego89 on September 24, 2012, 07:15:15 AM
Richshaw, the Gipsy's are only there to give it a little more oomph- not to takeoff on its own, not to sustain flight, not to dogfight. ;D  Granted they will only provide a little thrust, but that is all I wanted for my planned scenario.  Just a little glide extender so the crew could better pick up the LZ.  Avoiding a flooded rice paddy is a key concern for my scenario.  A 750 to 1000 HP engine would indeed give more thrust, but would weigh much more and effectivley turn this into a motorized transport- not something I wanted to do.  Fuel will be nowhere near 30 minutes- we are talking a few minutes tops.  The Gispys are a low mass engine and low drag.  

Using your words, maybe still a brick, but a brick with a little push!

Thank you for the input and comments Mossie.      

Are the Gypsies there to provide what the guy in Toy Story  described as "Not flying,just falling  with style!"  

It's a very stylish piece of kit!!
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

sandiego89

[/quote]

guy in Toy Story  described as "Not flying,just falling  with style!"  

It's a very stylish piece of kit!!
[/quote]

Exactly!  Good quote. Thank you.
Dave "Sandiego89"

Mossie

She looks good dressed in white, the Gypsies give it that little something too, great stuff! :party:
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

PR19_Kit

That's utterly brilliant sandiego89!  :thumbsup: :drink:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

McGreig

Very impressive - a great idea that has come out really well  :thumbsup:
And the colour scheme really suits it   :cheers:

TallEng

Nice! :thumbsup:
Is there any particular reason why the roundels  have a yellow surround?
I assume they are S.E.A.C type roundels, or did you use normal ones and
Not use the red center?

Regards
Keith
The British have raised their security level from "Miffed" to "Peeved". Soon though, security levels may be raised yet again to "Irritated" or even "A Bit Cross". Londoners have not been "A Bit Cross" since the Blitz in 1940 when tea supplies ran out for three weeks

NARSES2

That does look good, and the colour scheme really suits it  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

TsrJoe

really nice, i like the addition of the Gipsy engines, very plausible, def suits the scheme too  :thumbsup:

cheers, Joe
... 'i reject your reality and substitute my own !'

IPMS.UK. 'Project Cancelled' Special Interest Group Co-co'ordinator (see also our Project Cancelled FB.group page)
IPMS.UK. 'TSR-2 SIG.' IPMS.UK. 'What-if SIG.' (TSR.2 Research Group, Finnoscandia & WW.2.5 FB. groups)