Retro Typhoon F1

Started by TallEng, September 22, 2012, 02:28:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TallEng

Time for a progress report methinks, or to be more accurate some more pictures ;D

I'm going to have to modify that Tailplane, the angle of the trailing edge isn't quite right :banghead:

And I think I need to fill in between the two jet pipes and add the acorn fairing for the tail plane

I am also really tempted to round the nose radome as well.
Comments etc welcome  :thumbsup:

Regards
Keith
The British have raised their security level from "Miffed" to "Peeved". Soon though, security levels may be raised yet again to "Irritated" or even "A Bit Cross". Londoners have not been "A Bit Cross" since the Blitz in 1940 when tea supplies ran out for three weeks

Gondor

Looks like a development of the Hunter when you see them side by side.

I would suggest that if it is to be radar equipped that you don't blunt the nose but if not go ahead.

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

perttime

Quote from: Gondor on November 17, 2012, 01:18:15 AM
if it is to be radar equipped that you don't blunt the nose but if not go ahead.
And if you do blunt it, shape it into a downward sloping "eagle's beak" - not quite symmetrical.

NARSES2

Quote from: Gondor on November 17, 2012, 01:18:15 AM
Looks like a development of the Hunter when you see them side by side.

It does. Looking good
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

PR19_Kit

That looks SERIOUSLY powerful from aft with those two big jetpipes! Looking forward to seeing the finished article.

I'd round the nose off a tad, just because it would go with the 'Mega Hunter' theme.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Spey_Phantom

looks good, as for the nosecone, you could go for something allong the lines of the F-4K/M Phantom.
on the bench:

-all kinds of things.

nighthunter

Or the F-4B nose cone, my personal favorite! But don't forget that a lot of aircraft had Pointy noses, the F-105, F-104 just to name a few, not that I think it would look good on the Retro Typhoon.
"Mind that bus." "What bus?" *SPLAT!*

Devilfish

Jay-Jay

:thumbsup:
very inspiring model.....
eager to see next step
Good hunting !! ...err...nope... Good hunting   modelling !!  :lol:

TallEng

Hmmm..... Nose job;
well I went and did it :blink:
See what you think

Have you noticed how big the cockpit is on the Typhoon? It's as long as a Javelin for instance!!! (That will be Phantom sized for our colonial friends) ;D
So here's a picture of the Typhoon fitted with a Huntersque cockpit (from the Matchbox Hunter, which was only approximately Hunter shaped) :rolleyes:

And here with a bit of photoshoppery

Comments etc appreciated  :thumbsup:

Regards
Keith

The British have raised their security level from "Miffed" to "Peeved". Soon though, security levels may be raised yet again to "Irritated" or even "A Bit Cross". Londoners have not been "A Bit Cross" since the Blitz in 1940 when tea supplies ran out for three weeks

perttime

Doesn't the nose (the part forward of the canopy) end up pretty long now? What about moving the cockpit forward?

... or do you happen to have other spare cockpit canopies?

Gondor

Quote from: perttime on November 22, 2012, 12:07:04 PM
Doesn't the nose (the part forward of the canopy) end up pretty long now? What about moving the cockpit forward?

... or do you happen to have other spare cockpit canopies?

That will be because the wind-shield has been placed over the existing "tub" but I do agree that it should probably be a bit further forward than shown in that picture to get the "balance" right.  :thumbsup:

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

crudebuteffective

i would stick with the typhoon cockpit
Remember, if the reality police ask you haven't seen us in ages!
When does "old enough to know better" kick in?

Devilfish

I made mine out of a Tornado canopy, cut up and painted to make a single seater.

Remember, the technology at this time (late 60's) is what eventually became the Jaguar and Tornado, so something of that size is plausible.

Having said that, I was looking at a Hunter canopy for my 1/48 version, altho, I'm not so sure now.

As for it's positioning, you have to remember that the Typhoon radar is very small and compact compared to radars of the 60's.  So, a bit more room in the nose would definately have been needed....

Anyway, so far, so good  :thumbsup:

pyro-manic

I would stick with the Typhoon canopy in the original position, but extend the "spine" forward to meet it higher up in a Hunter-ish fashion, covering at least part of that unused back seat position. And "devolve" it a bit by painting some frame lines on the windscreen? Or if you have a spare from an alternative (Tornado might work?) that has a similar sweep angle?

I love what you're doing here, by the way. This is shaping up to be a really beautiful machine, in the finest Hawker tradition. :wub:
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<