raaf wirlwind mk111 "have go joe"

Started by oz rb fan, October 08, 2012, 01:01:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

oz rb fan

after taking the Philippines the allies were plagued with bombing raids from nearby bases still in Japanese hands,the best interceptor available to them was the newer model whirlwinds,now made in Australia and merlin powered they now had the altitude performance to take the fight to the later model Japanese bombers,two sqns of whirlwinds were moved to Clark field to keep the enemy from getting through.

and with my previous Darwin defense whirly

it is one of martin h's resin fuselages with special hobby wings and tail,airfix undercarriage and canopy
the markings are an old aeromaster Aussie spitfire sheet and the scheme based on one of the "pentland" schemes that in resent research seems to have never existed..but in my minds looks great.
Paul

NARSES2

Now that is nice and if the scheme never existed it should have  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

McGreig

Quote from: NARSES2 on October 08, 2012, 01:13:12 AM
Now that is nice and if the scheme never existed it should have  :thumbsup:

Seconded  :thumbsup: The whole package - lengthened fuselage, four bladed props, colour scheme - looks really convincing.

PR19_Kit

Excellent looking pair you have there.  :thumbsup: :cheers:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Dizzyfugu

Pretty! These RAAF Whirlies look great!

I also have a Whirlwind on my "to do" list - with Merlins, a longer fuselage and 3" rockets under the wings as an FB.II fighter bomber.

Tophe

[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

The Rat

As it should have been!  :thumbsup: :wub: :bow:

I'm certain that this question has been asked every day since WWII, but why was the Whirlwind not given a pair of Merlins in the real world?
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

deathjester

Quote from: PR19_Kit on October 08, 2012, 07:00:12 AM
Not quite the smoothest chat-up line I've ever heard, but I'm sure it'll work in certain parts of the country... :thumbsup:

PR19_Kit

Quote from: deathjester on October 08, 2012, 11:55:39 AM
Not quite the smoothest chat-up line I've ever heard, but I'm sure it'll work in certain parts of the country... :thumbsup:

It did............  ;)
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

James

Great models.  :wub:

Quote from: PR19_Kit on October 08, 2012, 01:04:57 PM
Quote from: deathjester on October 08, 2012, 11:55:39 AM

It did............  ;)
:wacko:

Quote from: The Rat on October 08, 2012, 11:35:17 AM
As it should have been!  :thumbsup: :wub: :bow:

I'm certain that this question has been asked every day since WWII, but why was the Whirlwind not given a pair of Merlins in the real world?

Certainly is. A true what if. Believe it would have been as successful as the Mossie and Typhoon (although not as legendary as the Spit or Hurricane).

loupgarou

Very well done.
The big 4-blade propellers give the Whirlwind a powerful look, like a fighter should have.
The original one (I am thinking of the old Airfix) always looked sissy to me.  ;D
loupgarou
Owing to the current financial difficulties, the light at the end of the tunnel will be turned off until further notice.

NARSES2

Obviously Merlin Whirlwinds are in vougue at the moment  ;D I to have an Airfix Whirlwind and 2 Airfix Spitfire V's all ready for a post Telford bash, will be my first major kitbash since Gord knows when ????
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Weaver

Nice Models!  The paint job on the new one is particularly nice. :thumbsup:

The Whirlwind concept was not so much a big, twin-engined fighter like the Bf-110, but more of a "split single", i.e. a spitfire-sized (ish) aircraft that had two little engines instead of one big one, in order to fit cannons in the nose (this was in the days when they though it would be impossible to put cannons in the wings). The result was that it was very tightly tailored around it's Peregrines. Fitting Merlins would have entailed a completely redesigned wing structure, a longer fuselage, more fuel etc., to the point where you'd have essentially a new aircraft; a sort of "Westland Hornet", if you like.

I've always wondered if one could have been fitted with two Mercury radials as a dedicated ground-attack model. Late Mercuries had as much power as the Peregrines, were lighter, and being air-cooled, were more resistant to ground fire. The nacelles would have to be revised of course, but the inner wing would actually get simpler (no radiator) which is always good...
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Dizzyfugu

Yup, the Whirlwind was a dead end, because it was so tightly constructed around its two smaller engines that there was not much development potential - and even then, single-engined aircraft stepped up to fill these potential gaps. But that does not prevent us from spinning the wheel further... The Whirlwind is a pretty aircraft, and it deserves some whiffy praise.  ;)

oz rb fan

thanks guy's
actually you'd be amazed but apparently petter want the merlin..and the cowling was aparrently designed to take it.
and this letter from westlands to the air ministry ..thanks to brewerjerry

Following extract not from a ' what if ',
but from genuine preserved correspondence...

Jan 41 in a letter to Sholto Douglas
by Eric Mensforth M.D. Westlands.

....... We are now able, because of the solution of certain undercarriage retraction problems, to offer to install in the whirlwind twin merlin XX engines .....

Therefore in answer to all the long standing internet debates, Westlands in 1941, put in writing that the whirlwind airframe could handle merlin engines..

truth can at times be stranger than fiction..