Project Pye

Started by tc2324, October 09, 2012, 02:34:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NARSES2

Well it's coming together - as what I've no idea  ;D ;D - but it's coming together  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

martinbayer

Would be marching to the beat of his own drum, if he didn't detest marching to any drumbeat at all so much.

McColm

Great idea, another one to cross off on my list of 'what to do with my Revel Lancaster'. I'll move the main wing to the rear :cheers:

Captain Canada

Neat stuff. Almost scale-o-rama.....

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

tc2324

Thanks guys.  :thumbsup:

Todays, or rather this weekends update, shows that the `battle damage` from kitbashing has now been repaired.

Still needs a bit of smoothing off in some places but I think it`s starting to take shape.
74 `Tiger` Sqn Association Webmaster

Tiger, Tiger!

NARSES2

Oh this has got to nicknamed "Jimmy Durante"  ;D
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

sequoiaranger

"DeHavilland Durante"?

"Schneider Schnozzola"?

"Westland-Curtiss Fields"  (W.C. Fields--known for his bulbous and usually red nose)?
My mind is like a compost heap: both "fertile" and "rotten"!

Go4fun

Will the delux model be "Pye Ala Mode"?  :lol:
"Just which planet are you from again"?

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Go4fun on October 22, 2012, 01:59:34 PM

Very few non-Americans will get that.........  ;D

Which raises the question, just WHY are pies with ice cream called 'A la mode'? I've asked loads of Americans friends but no-one seems to know where it comes from.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

scooter

Quote from: PR19_Kit on October 22, 2012, 05:07:29 PM
Quote from: Go4fun on October 22, 2012, 01:59:34 PM

Very few non-Americans will get that.........  ;D

Which raises the question, just WHY are pies with ice cream called 'A la mode'? I've asked loads of Americans friends but no-one seems to know where it comes from.

Because there's no set truth for the history of "a la mode", but it was probably coined early in the last century, circa 1903.

http://english.stackexchange.com/questions/10438/origin-of-the-meaning-of-a-la-mode
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

Logan Hartke

tc2324

;D

Intresting to see the Pye comments, everything ranging from Homer Simpson to Pie and ice cream which I`m sure are related somehow....?  :lol:

However, to put you all out of your misery, the real reason for my name choice of this project was simply that David Randall Pye, who was the Director of Scientific Research at the time of Frank Whittle`s engine tests, was one of the main reasons for the Air Ministry to back further research and funding on the engine.

So in my back story, (soon to be released at all good what if forums, RRP £9.99),  the Project was named Pye as homage to the man.

Hope that clears things up.  :blink:

Tiger, Tiger!

PR19_Kit

Was that Pye anything to do with the Pye Radio firm that flourished in the UK in the 50s and 60s?

And thanks for the various 'a la mode' explanations, I know much more about it now. Interesting that the Wiki entry that Logan posted says 'citation needed' after the main title when the wiki entry itself IS the citation!  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

tc2324

Not that I know off Kit.

Records state that he took up the Provostship of University College in London from 1941 to 1952 and he died in 1960.

Tiger, Tiger!

Rheged

Quote from: PR19_Kit on October 23, 2012, 07:03:57 AM
Was that Pye anything to do with the Pye Radio firm that flourished in the UK in the 50s and 60s?

W.G. Pye & Co. Ltd. was founded in 1896 in Cambridge by William George Pye,  as a  business making scientific instruments. In 1928 William sold the company and had no further  link with it.  The name is currently associated with modestly priced DVD players.  No connection seems to exist with  D R Pye.

"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet