Far and high, MiGs over Africa

Started by sletch, October 11, 2012, 05:43:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sletch

The National Air Force of Angola was established, after the independence of Angola, in january 21th 1976. The Roundel uses the same color scheme than the national flag:

(Images from Wikimedia)

Aircraft Inventory

In the beginning, most of the inventory came from the Portuguese  Air Force legacy. Little by little, the National Air Force of Angola has completely renewed its fighters. The current inventory is shown below:

Manufacturer and type In service Comments
Mikoyan-Gurevich MiG-23 ML
10 of them will soon be retired
Sukhoi 27 S
Bought from Belarus
Sukhoi 27 UB
Retrofit in process to match the MiG 34 needs
Mikoyan-Gurevich MiG-34 MK
Bought from Ukraine and Russia

The planes are based at Luanda, Belas, Luena, Kuito, Lubango and Mocamedes air force bases.

(Images from Wikimedia and Mission-angola.ch)

GALERY

Photos of the Angola air force planes are very rare. Most of the documents shown below comes from the far-maroc forum.

MiG 23 Flogger :

Sukhoi 27 Flanker :

The brand new MiG 34 has been seen several time by spy satellites. Anyway, no close-up photo are available. The folowing model kit has been realised using  explanations and drawnings sent by the Luanda Air force base workers. The work-in-progress of this kit can be seen on the  fighters.forumactif site.

MiG 34 Fahrenheit :

Extract from "Far and high, MiGs over Africa" by Jonas LEITCH
Last finished!

Captain Canada

Looking good ! Funky camo. I'd like to see it dirtied up tho. The old Flogger looks pretty ratty. I love the pics of Sukhoi.....never seen one in those colours.
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Dizzyfugu

Quote from: Captain Canada on October 11, 2012, 05:48:05 AM
I'd like to see it dirtied up tho.

Me too  ;D

Nice idea for the 1.44 - cammo suits her surprisingly well?!
:thumbsup:I also have one in the vast kit pile, wondering what to make of it...

BTW: Fahrenheit is a pretty code, but unappropriate because it should only have two syllables for a NATO jet fighter code. But, hey, it's a whif  ;)

sletch

Hi,
[/quote]
Quote from: Dizzyfugu on October 11, 2012, 08:03:32 AM
Quote from: Captain Canada on October 11, 2012, 05:48:05 AM
I'd like to see it dirtied up tho.

Me too  ;D
=> I know... I know... my MiG is far(and high  ;D) to clean. This camo scheme was some kind of a nightmare to paint. That's the reason why, I didn't want to take the risk of destroying my incredible job while wheatering it

Nice idea for the 1.44 - cammo suits her surprisingly well?!  :thumbsup:I also have one in the vast kit pile, wondering what to make of it...
=> I had the same problem while choosing the camo  :-\ I wanted to avoid the eternal Flanker legacy:

or the PAK FA new wardrob:

Finally, I chose the camo style used on the Angolan Flankers  :mellow:

BTW: Fahrenheit is a pretty code, but unappropriate because it should only have two syllables for a NATO jet fighter code. But, hey, it's a whif  ;)
=> Really  :blink: ! I knew that the NATO fighters code had to start by an "F". But I had no information about the syllables

Oh no! That means that my MiG 24 "Fade to black" is not realistic  :banghead:

Thank you very much for your nice comments and informations  :thumbsup:

A bientot / Frederic
Last finished!

chrisonord

The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

ChernayaAkula

Whoa! Awesome!   :party: It looks really great in Angolan colours.

"After Ray Bradbury's dystopian classic <<Fahrenheit 451>> comes a new classic: Sletch's <<Fahrenheit 1.44>>!"  ;D :mellow:
Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

bearmatt

Now that's a very interesting topic! And the mig-34 looks awesome! Very nice  :thumbsup:
The carpet monster took it!

rickshaw

Now, that is nice!  Lovely camouflage.   :thumbsup:
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

sletch

Hi,

:thumbsup: That you very much  :thumbsup:

Quote from: ChernayaAkula on October 11, 2012, 10:34:27 PM"After Ray Bradbury's dystopian classic <<Fahrenheit 451>> comes a new classic: Sletch's <<Fahrenheit 1.44>>!"  ;D :mellow:
That's excellent !!!

:ph34r: / Frederic
Last finished!

pyro-manic

I read your post, thinking "what the hell is a Mig-34?? He's got it wrong!"

Then I saw the model. :banghead:

Cracking colour scheme, and the ol' Flatpack looks fantastic in camouflage! Good stuff. :thumbsup:
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

sletch

Hi,
Quote from: pyro-manic on October 12, 2012, 03:36:09 PM
I read your post, thinking "what the hell is a Mig-34?? He's got it wrong!"
Everything can happen on what-if modelers... everything...

Thank you very much pyro-maniac  ;)

:ph34r: / Frédéric
Last finished!

Ed S

Great camo on that Mig.  Very eye-catching model.

Ed
We don't just embrace insanity here.  We feel it up, french kiss it and then buy it a drink.

Spey_Phantom

i am impressed, i love the camouflage  :thumbsup:
on the bench:

-all kinds of things.

perttime

Quote from: pyro-manic on October 12, 2012, 03:36:09 PM
I read your post, thinking "what the hell is a Mig-34??
"Real life" MiGs have been numbered using odd numbers, as far as I can tell. So, for weird ones, it is safest to use even numbers.

Here's my idea for a MiG-32: http://www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic,34783.msg555704.html#msg555704

.-.-.-.-.-.

The MiG-34 camo looks good. Somehow it reminds me of an El Salvadoran Corsair jungle scheme, from the Football War, that I saw recently: http://hsfeatures.com/features04/fg1ddwa_2.htm