H P Victor B/K4

Started by albeback, October 14, 2012, 04:14:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

albeback

The latest product of my fevered imagination. While the Matchbox Victor builds into a good model, it is , to say the least, a challenge & I think I must be a glutton for punishment to willingly build TWO at the same time!! :lol: :o

Fortunately, the worst of the filing/filling/sanding is over! :lol: I didn't like the single fin/twin cockpit layout of the fake Victor shown. I opted for the twin fin/single cockpit. I figured that, regardless of which side the cockpit was on, the view to the opposite side would be very bad with a flush cockpit so, I raised it as shown. The canopy is the spare from the Airfix Valiant. It's actually quite a good fit.

In this concept, the rear crew would relocate to the lower forward nose, ejecting through a frangible roof panel/escape hatch in front of the pilots' cockpit. The single large tailplane comprises both tailplanes salvaged from an old KC-135 model.

I'll have the wings/airbrakes attached later today. The wings are only dry fitted right now for the purpose of the photo. Hopefully, I'll have it standing on its own 6 legs by the end of next week!! :lol: Haven't decided on a colour scheme yet but, I will be fitting underwing stores. I couldn't be bothered with doing something to improve the kit air intakes so, I'll yake the cowards way out & fit intake covers.

Allan

IMG]http://i1098.photobucket.com/albums/g362/albeback52/005-9.jpg[/IMG]

Loves JMNs but could never eat a whole one!!

sandiego89

Courageous build! Keep it coming. 
Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

PR19_Kit

Strewth, that's going to take up a LOT of space when it's done!  :o
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Army of One

That is indeed a gutsy build......!! Good luck with it....you using any white metal for the u/c....??
BODY,BODY....HEAD..!!!!

IF YER HIT, YER DEAD!!!!

albeback

Quote from: Army of One on October 14, 2012, 11:00:27 AM
That is indeed a gutsy build......!! Good luck with it....you using any white metal for the u/c....??

If I can get hold of a set, the answer is yes. Do you know offhand if Scale Aircraft Conversions (?) do a set. At the very least, I can fully build,paint & decal the model BEFORE adding the u/c. As to where I'm going to PUT this beast.........!!! Still, I like 'em big!! ( ooerrr missus!!)

I might install the kit u/c anyway as a temporary measure

Allan

Ian the Kiwi Herder

Quote from: PR19_Kit on October 14, 2012, 10:19:52 AMStrewth, that's going to take up a LOT of space when it's done!  :o

I'm guessing/hoping it will be the little known folding wing version  :blink: - Going to be watching this one all-the-way !!

Ian
"When the Carpet Monster tells you it's full....
....it's time to tidy the workbench"

Confuscious (maybe)

albeback

Progress!! :lol:
Main assembly complete & first primer coat on. I've posed it next to my bog standard Victor for comparison. Todays task - make the intake covers & assemble the undercarriage! Hopefully this will be the last of all the !£$&@!* filling,filing & sanding!! My whisky bottle is severely depleted!! ;D

Allan

IMG]http://i1098.photobucket.com/albums/g362/albeback52/001-11.jpg[/IMG]

Steel Penguin

that is an impressive looking beast there. :thumbsup:   
congrats on percivering.
the things you learn, give your mind the wings to fly, and the chains to hold yourself steady
take off and nuke the site form orbit, nope, time for the real thing, CAM and gridfire, call special circumstances. 
wow, its like freefalling into the Geofront
Not a member of the Hufflepuff conspiracy!

TallEng

Cor! That's twinsane :thumbsup:
Excellent work., and fast too.

Regards
Keith
The British have raised their security level from "Miffed" to "Peeved". Soon though, security levels may be raised yet again to "Irritated" or even "A Bit Cross". Londoners have not been "A Bit Cross" since the Blitz in 1940 when tea supplies ran out for three weeks

albeback

Thanks for the kind comments folks. Taken less time than I anticipated! ;D. The relatively modest parts count of the kit does help!! Hopefully, I'll have it standing on its own 6 legs (& 36 wheels!!) within the next few days! I'm using the Halford's grey primer as a base coat over which I will be applying a disruptive dark grey pattern ( the colour of the canopy will give you a clue to the shade)
Undersides are going to be a very dark grey/black - either Revell Aqua Anthrazit or Teerschwarz (Tar Black). Also have 4 very large whizzy bangy things to hang under it!!! :wacko:

Allan

McColm

Wow!!
That reminds me, I must finish off my 'Welsh Harp Sea Monster' :thumbsup:

albeback

Quote from: McColm on October 21, 2012, 11:16:49 AM
Wow!!

Lol!! Now, THAT I am looking forward to!
;D :cheers:

Got the undercarriage legs assembled & painted.. Not looking forward to painting all those 36 wheels though! Think I'll do THAT in stages!! ;D . do wish however that Matchbox had NOT modelled the wheel bogies separately from the main legs. A weak point in an otherwise quite sturdy undercarriage.

Rheged

Quote from: albeback on October 22, 2012, 05:10:34 AM
Quote from: McColm on October 21, 2012, 11:16:49 AM
Wow!!

Lol!! Now, THAT I am looking forward to!

And so say all of us!
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

kerick

I have to get one of those fuselages for a Flash Gordon style rocket ship!
Impressive work, I hope you have ample display room.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

albeback

Quote from: kerick on October 22, 2012, 07:41:31 PM
I have to get one of those fuselages for a Flash Gordan style rocket ship!
Impressive work, I hope you have ample display room.

So do I ! ;D

The wingspan is just under 72cm !