North American F1J1 Sea Mustang

Started by kevincallahan, October 16, 2012, 11:45:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kevincallahan

Finally, after being a lurker for many moons, I get to join in the fun officially. This is the first whif model I've finished in ages (can't count the Bomber Command B-36 that has been sitting on the Shelf of Shame for years). But I've obviously embraced the whif aesthetic: the next three models that come from the 72 Land small aircraft production line will be what-ifs.

The backstory is on the blog, but basically I was looking to put a couple of frontline WW2 fighters into theatres where they didn't historically appear. First up is the North American F1J1 Sea Mustang, a navalized version of the P-51D. The prime attraction for me was putting it in Gloss Sea Blue. I used VF-76 markings from SuperScale 72-511 (they were meant to be for a Corsair). Stay tuned for two more whifs coming soon.

This is completed model #410 (#35 for the year), finished in October of 2012. The full story is on the 72 Land blog, referenced below. I know that Sea Mustangs have featured on this forum in the past, so this is just another to add to the genre.

Visit the 72 Land blog at http://72land.blogspot.com/

PR19_Kit

That looks pretty darned smart in the Gloss Sea Blue Kevin, nice one.  :thumbsup:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Dizzyfugu

Nice. The Sea Mustang is IMHO a very nice whif topic - I wonder what one in later grey/white livery would look like (like the USMC Corsairs)?

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

tc2324

Love this look,  :thumbsup:  ....... just needs a big `Navy` down the fuselage.  ;)
74 `Tiger` Sqn Association Webmaster

Tiger, Tiger!

kerick

Would have curled the hair of every admiral in the fleet. And that would have been fun to watch! Nice job :mellow:
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

Captain Canada

Beauty ! She does look good in gloss blue. Maybe a longer/ more sturdy tail oleo ? Or would it not need it ?

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Cobra

Superb Job,Kevin :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: Could You Picture VMF-214 Flying These instead of Corsairs? The Japanese would No Doubt Say Stuff I'd have to Bleep :wacko: This was Superb! Welcome! :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: Dan

bearmatt

Great Job on that Mustang and officially welcome to the fun!  :thumbsup: :drink:
The carpet monster took it!

kevincallahan

Thanks all. It is good to actually be able to join into the festivities rather than just admire from afar. My trio of October whifs (with the captured Go-229 still to come) has made me want to revisit the Bomber Command B-36 that is currently languishing on the Shelf of Shame.... mostly due to a shortage of Dk Green, Dr Earth and Black that will be required to paint the monster!
Visit the 72 Land blog at http://72land.blogspot.com/

Rheged

Quote from: kevincallahan on October 18, 2012, 12:29:58 PM
Thanks all. It is good to actually be able to join into the festivities rather than just admire from afar. My trio of October whifs (with the captured Go-229 still to come) has made me want to revisit the Bomber Command B-36 that is currently languishing on the Shelf of Shame.... mostly due to a shortage of Dk Green, Dr Earth and Black that will be required to paint the monster!

It's good to welcome  another member!   If we hear of a world shortage of Dark Green, Dark Earth and Black  we'll all know you have  started painting the vast acreage of B36 wing.
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet