Atanasov Twin MiG-15 Project - Now Finished

Started by McGreig, October 18, 2012, 03:43:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tophe

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on February 25, 2014, 11:29:40 AM
I always wondered what that "thing" under the mid wing could be - I see that you interpreted it as a single rocket launcher.
That may also be a 3rd jet engine, above the wing according to profiles.
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

Dizzyfugu

Yeah, the front end looks like an air intale with a shock cone. But it's pretty small, isn't it?  :party:

And it belongs above the wing?  :blink:

McGreig

Thanks for the kind comments. I'm pleased that people like it – it strikes me as one of the more plausible twin-fuselage designs that I've come across.

Quote from: Tophe on February 25, 2014, 05:19:29 PM
I always wondered what that "thing" under the mid wing could be - I see that you interpreted it as a single rocket launcher.
That may also be a 3rd jet engine, above the wing according to profiles.

The thing shown on the wing centre section in the drawing is certainly ambiguous, both as to what it is and whether it is above or below the wing.

I didn't go for the engine for three main reasons - there is no mention of a third engine when the project is covered in Yefim Gordon's MiG-15 book, the shape doesn't seen big enough for an engine (although, I suppose, it could be a booster rather than a main engine and would not have to be a VK-1/Nene) and there doesn't really seem to be any need for a third engine.

I went for the rocket pod because the drawing was vaguely rocket-pod shaped and because this is a ground attack aircraft, so some additional weaponry under the centre section seemed logical. And, whether engine or weapon, under the wing seemed more logical.

McGreig

Quote from: PR19_Kit on February 25, 2014, 04:33:38 PM
Oh yes, I DO like twins!  :thumbsup:

What's that about the fuselages being over scale then?

Thanks  :cheers:

As regards, the fuselage:

When the new Airfix MiG-15 originally came out a quick session with the more reliable references suggested that the span was OK but the length was way off. Bearing in mind the usual caveats about the accuracy of plans and where you source your information, the  dimensions of the MiG-15bis (all in metres) from three of the most reliable sources are given as:

Length:
Four Plus - 10.10
Bill Gunston (Encyclopedia of Russian Aircraft) - 10.10
Yefim Gordon (Aerofax) - 10.11

Span:
Four Plus - 10.08
Bill Gunston - 10.08
Yefim Gordon - 10.08

The Four Plus and Modelmania 1/72 plans scale out correctly to these dimensions (the length of 10.10 runs from the nose to the tips of the tailplanes).

There are always going to be small deviations, but the Hobby Boss and KP kits are very good matches for the Four Plus and Modelmania plans. The Airfix kit is not - it is much too long, the fin is too tall and the wing fences are too far outboard.

And we're not talking here about small differences, such as the length of the nose of the Hasegawa, Airfix and Italeri Mk.IX Spitfires, which I find pretty much invisible to the naked eye and doesn't detract from the look of the model. In comparison, the Airfix MiG-15 has a fuselage that is essentially 1/65 scale – it's not just 17mm too long (7/10 inch in old money) but much bulkier too.

Interestingly, what it does match very well is the old Airfix kit. While in no sense a modification of the old tool, the new kit is very close dimensionally to the old - the misplaced wing fences are in the same place on both kits and the height/shape of the fin/rudder is virtually identical.

Dizzyfugu

Quote from: McGreig on February 26, 2014, 05:48:00 AM
I didn't go for the engine for three main reasons - there is no mention of a third engine when the project is covered in Yefim Gordon's MiG-15 book, the shape doesn't seen big enough for an engine (although, I suppose, it could be a booster rather than a main engine and would not have to be a VK-1/Nene) and there doesn't really seem to be any need for a third engine.

Sounds plausible  :thumbsup: . I'll probably completely ignore it - but I consider hanging two pairs of bombs in tandem under mine. There's a lot of space, no landing gear, and the outer wings still can hold either slipper tanks or a pair of smaller unguided rocket pods. We'll see.

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

PR19_Kit

Sounds like Airfix rather screwed up their 'research' on the fuselage then. Too much reliance on their old 'research' when the modelling world had been telling them the old mould was wrong for EVER! But at least it's good Whiff fodder..... ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

McGreig

Quote from: NARSES2 on February 26, 2014, 07:00:50 AM
I like that....a lot  :bow:

Thanks for the Whiffie nomination. :thumbsup:

Here's the Twin MiG at SMW Telford, along with its cousin the MiG-17 torpedo bomber (a whiff, but based on a real project).

I was thinking of doing a twinned MiG-17 in Polish ground attack colours but now I'm wondering if a torpedo or anti-shipping version might be better. If a torpedo or anti-ship missile was carried under the centre section it would at least solve the torpedo carrying MiG-17's ground clearance problems - - -

PR19_Kit

Whatever were they thinking about trying to carry a torpedo under a MiG-17???  :o

They already had Il-28s that would have been a far better bet I'd have thought.

But a MiG-17Z sounds a great idea nonetheless.  :thumbsup:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

McColm

piko1

about the fakeness of the project i clearly forgot to tell them that the project is legit and 100% real the original article is from Krile magazine issue 1 from January 2009  :lol:

by the way outstanding work  and yes im Bulgarian so that makes me jelly that i dont have one but in the steel camo :lol:

McGreig

Quote from: piko1 on March 01, 2014, 01:37:47 AM
the project is legit and 100% real the original article is from Krile magazine issue 1 from January 2009  :lol:
by the way outstanding work

Thanks. And that is very interesting to know about the original Krile article  :thumbsup:

Mossie

Lovely pair, both the twin MiG-15 and the MiG-17 torpedo bomber. :thumbsup:
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

kitbasher

Lovely, and thanks a lot for posting the pics!  :cheers:

That puts the level pretty high!  :thumbsup:

I always wondered what that "thing" under the mid wing could be - I see that you interpreted it as a single rocket launcher. Not certain what I will hang onto mine (once it gets started... :rolleyes:), maybe just some iron bombs, i got some Soviet specimen in the stash somewhere.

Thread revival: I'd go for something big in the middle were I to build one.  A sizable bomb or better still a drop tank to allow loud flashy bangy things under the wings.  Or even a radar like an F-82.
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter