Started by Spey_Phantom, October 20, 2012, 02:07:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gondor

Quote from: NARSES2 on July 10, 2015, 06:15:54 AM
Congratulations mate. All the best to you and your lady  :thumbsup:

Agreed  :thumbsup:

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

DogfighterZen

Quote from: Gondor on July 10, 2015, 09:13:57 AM
Quote from: NARSES2 on July 10, 2015, 06:15:54 AM
Congratulations mate. All the best to you and your lady  :thumbsup:

Agreed  :thumbsup:

Gondor

I make the gent's words my own and reaffirm them, all the best for the couple! :cheers:
"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

Captain Canada

Good stuff Nils....congrats to you both ! The wee man cave sounds exciting too  :thumbsup:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Spey_Phantom

thanks everyone :)

Blog Entry #138

at the moment there are 6 models on the go, 3 1/144 Tornado of different marks in RAF, Luftwaffe and Marineflieger markings (realworld), a 1/144 SA330 Puma in Belgian Police colors and (still) 2 1/72 Sea Kings. im really hoping to get the latter finished before the move in September.

and my WHIF ideas are coming back  ;D, as ive been getting ideas for various production YF-23's in different markings.
designated the F-23C, this version of the F-23A is upgraded with various features that are also implemented on the F-35A, its basicly designed by Northrop Grumman to be an alternative for the F-22A Raptor on the Export market  :mellow:

ive been thinking about building a few of them in 1/144 scale in USAF, Norwegian, Dutch and Singapore Air Force markings. for a color scheme i was thinking of the dark metallic grey with the edges of the panels in a lighter tone, similar to some F-35's.

regarding the House, the contracts have been signed, last weekend i spent almost a months wages on furniture. ive also been doing some roughsketch designwork on what will eventually become Project: Mancave 3.0. i think ive also found a way to get the most out of the limited space in that room. the most difficult part will be the shelves, as the walls are possibly stone, i might have to drill holes and use plugs before i can screw them on, compared to here where the walls are wood and simple woodscrews suffice.

in terms of stash storage, since we already bought a new dresser for the bedroom, im gonna use her old one (about 1.7 meters high with 2 doors and 3 drawers) as a stash storage cabinet. by the looks of it, i think i just about fit the whole stash in there (or ate least most of it  ;D).

anyways, i got some more good news, my internship (temp job contract) has been extended again, as of friday the factory will close for 2 weeks (summer vacation) and when it re-opens on august 3, ive been asked to come back, of course i said yes  ;D

in the next 2 weeks, i hope to finish some projects, box up some of the stash for the move and get home insurance sorted out.

more soon......
on the bench:

-all kinds of things.

Gondor

Sounds good  :thumbsup: best of luck with everything

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

zenrat

If I may, I would suggest free standing shelving units rather than fixing shelves to the wall.  They are more flexible and you can rearrange them when you realise you can squeeze out a bit more stash space if you just move that one along there and...
You should be able to pick up cheap open fronted softwood bookcases, perspex sheet (to cover the front) and magnetic catches (to hold the perspex in place) for less than the cost of the timber and fixings you'd use for shelves.

Best of luck.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Captain Canada

I agree with Zenrat. You had also better check your contract and be sure you are allowed to be drilling holes !

I'd also suggest double boxing. If your stash is to remain in your hands and be built, start tossing the excess packaging etc.

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Spey_Phantom

Blog Entry #139

The bench is starting to move again, the 3 1/144 Tornado's are progressing well, although no work has been done on it over the long weekend. no progress on the 1/144 SA330 Puma for over a week, same for the 1/72 SeaKings.

there is however 1 project that got finished, a Trumpeter 1/144 F-22AJ Raptor in JASDF markings.
this is one of 2 F-22 from what i like to call the "Blank fleet", witch is a small number of models with the paint and stenciling on, but no nationality markings. another such model is a restored/upgraded JAS-39 Gripen, witch im gonna paint in either Croatian or Romanian markings.

while pre-packing some of the stash for the move, i came across an ols shoebox with old discarded 1/144 whiffs. i threw most of them away due to ageing and glue/paint damage. i did however recover a 1/144 revell YF-23 in IRIAF markings i built for a 1-week GB a few years ago, its not the best looking model, but i think i can improve it. i stripped it of its decals, and modifications, sanded down the edges of the weaponsbay doors and soon i will strip its paint and repaint it in prototype "Grey Ghost" colors. this will also serve as a prototype for future YF-23's (or F-23A or F/A-23) to be built.

as for today, i have inventory duty, its boring but it has to be done  :-\
i need to make a list of everything Jess and i have for the move, from electronics to coffee spoons.
then i need to scan in the sketches and dimentions of the rooms of our new home, last monday i was there to measure the dimentions of the new room, including those of "Mancave 3.0" (witch will need some reorganising). i also have attic duty today to see if i can find some dinnerplates and drinking glasses, and also to see what old models are staying or going. at some point next week, im also gonna look into stash reduction, by selling off some unwanted kits, mostly 1/48 & 1/32 (aircraft) and 1/43 (cars).
im also thinking of selling my old Nintendo Wii, since i dont use it anymore and hasnt played in almost 2 years.

so there is still a lot of work to be done, but that doesnt mean i will enjoy life. i still have a week and a half vacationtime, and at the end of the month, me and Jess are going to spend a weekend at the seaside in Koksijde (home of the Sea King and NH90-NFH).

Bench Status:

-2 x 1/72 Seaking Mk.48 (50% finished)
-3 x 1/144 Tornado GR1/IDS/ECR (30% finished)
-1/144 SA330 Puma (5% finished)

more soon...........
on the bench:

-all kinds of things.

Spey_Phantom

Blog Entry #139b

an extra blog update, with some bad news  :-\

this morning, we recieved news that my aunt Rita was dieing :(
she had been suffering from Lung- and Bone cancer for some time and last week was taken into hospital after she got very ill.
we were all shocked of her condition deteriorating so fast, she was in chemotherapy for some time, it looked like she was gonna make it.

this afternoon, it was all over, she passed away peacefully.

RIP Aunt Rita, we will miss you :(
on the bench:

-all kinds of things.

NARSES2

Sorry to hear that Nils. All the best to you and yours
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Spey_Phantom

Blog Entry #140

work on the bench is at an all-time high, in the past week, several models have left the bench, including a restored1/144 Revell YF-23 and a 1/144 F-22 raptor in JASDF markings (for the WW3 storybuild). and now, i have another restoration project on the go, an old revell 1/144 X-35B, witch currently being repainted in USMC colors after being stripped of its paint and parts (previously in Royal Navy FAA colors), the nosewheel didnt survive the work, but has been replaced with a spare from a trumpeter YF-23, witch is about the same size.

the 3 1/144 tornado's are going smoothly, as main assebly is about 95% finished and they are nearly ready for painting, the 1/144 SA330 Puma is also nearing the end of its build, as the assembly is completed and a first layer of paint has been applied.

on the planning list, i still have a few production versions of the YF-23 in 1/144.

i know, i know, ive been focusing a lot on this scale, but thats because its my favorite scale to work in  ;)

dispite an emotional setback earlier, with my aunt Rita passing away, i have been holding strong, although i do feel like im having difficulties.
with the stress from the move, my nervous breakdown a few months ago and now this, its very difficult to keep your head cool.
ive decided not to attend the funeral, as the stress and emotional burden would definatly sink me into another breakdown or even depression, thats why ive dived into the stash the past few days, to keep me occupied.

my last week of vacation has started, on Friday, me and Jessica are going to spend a weekend at the seaside in Koksijde. im gonna need this weekend away more then her. we both have been busy and stressed out in preperations for the move to our new home in Oedelem (near Ursel, RAF wartime airfield B67). next monday its back to work for me, so i need something to give me some stress relief.

more soon...
on the bench:

-all kinds of things.

DogfighterZen

Sad to hear about your aunt... but she's resting now, no more suffering.
Take it easy.
My condolences
"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

Captain Canada

I love 144th scale Nils !

Glad things are still going well and enjoy your time away my friend !

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Spey_Phantom

Blog Entry #141

the bench has progressed conciderably before the weekend. the 1/144 SA330 Puma is now finished. focus now shifts towards the 3 1/144 Tornado's. there's also a little extra side project on the go, just a little experimental in-between project.
the 2 1/72 Seakings will also be recieving some attention tonight, mostly detail parts before the first paintwork begins.

the past 3 days there has been no bench activity due to a weekend away at the seaside, i got some hilarious pics from the 3D world exposition to share with you guys, will upload them later  :lol:

as soon as these projects are finished, there will be NO new builds until after the move in September.
i still need to order a few things for "Mancave 3.0", like new small drawer-units for the paint-tins, styrene sheet- and decals storage.
im also gonna box up some more of the stash tonight.

i just finished designing, printing out and sealing the next decal sheet  ;D
project on the scheet include:

What if:

-1/144 A330-MRTT's (Belgian and Canadian)
-1/?? secret side project (a car with a big "currently Politicaly controversial" flag on the roof)
-1/?? Ghostbusters logo's (for matchbox toy to Ecto1 conversion test)

Real World:

-1/144 HH-60J Jayhawk (USCG)
-1/144 F-16BM (Belgian AF)
-1/144 Phantom FGR.2 (RAF)
-1/144 F-4G Wild Weasel (USAF)
-1/144 F-111F Aardvark (USAF)
-1/144 32TFS "Wolfhounds" emblems (on demand)

there will be more What If projects on the next run of decals, but these will be done after the move.
there will most likely be some Russian Aircraft in Saudi markings.

more soon...........
on the bench:

-all kinds of things.

Spey_Phantom

Blog Entry #142

bench activity is slowing down again, the 3 tornado's have been untouched for almost a week now and the 2 1/72 Sea Kings feels like the neverending story  :-\
since i started working again on monday, i had very little time and motivation to do any modelbuilding work, since most of my free time is going into pre-packing the stash. about 90% of the stash is now in boxes ready for the move next month.

yesterday, the 2 new drawerboxes for "Mancave 3.0" have arrived, these will replace the old wooden and broken down plastic sets and will be used for storing styrene scheets, Humbrol/Revell paint tins and decals.

also, tomorrow i expect the delivery of what will most likely be the last stash additions for some time.
i will be holding off buying of new kits until after the move. this weekend there will be no bench activity, as i will be spending the weekend at my girlfriend's parents place.

and bad news seems to be coming on a regular basis the past few weeks. 2 weeks ago, as noted earlier, my aunt passed away.
and now, at the worst possible time, i heared that next week will be my last week on the job  :-\
only Teusday, the company i work at has been taken over by a Dutch industrial group, and yesterday, i recieved news that im going to loose my job (again!!! :angry: ).
this is all Deja Vu to me, as the past 3 jobs i had, ended in a similar scenario, someone takes over the place, and i lose my job! this has got to be the 3rd or 4th time now!
for pete's sake, i just signed the rentlease for our new place!  :banghead:

im not going to look for new work until after the move, i might find something closer to (the new) home  :unsure:

more soon..........
on the bench:

-all kinds of things.