Spey_Phantom's corner of solitude

Started by Spey_Phantom, October 20, 2012, 02:07:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Canada

I see you named it Ed ! have a great weekend Nils and congrats to your Sister. have a great weekend yourself !

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Spey_Phantom

Blog Entry #157

there has been little physical progress the past few days, mostly due to more pressing matters.
before the weekend, i managed to finish up my last 1/144 Phantom, see my last entry.

last weekend, i could not do any modelbuilding, sice i was out of town to be the photographer at my eldest sister's wedding.
me and the missus had a great time, although my diet is kinda ruined, as the next day, my Nephew Jayden was turning 4 and my brother held a party for him.

now, back on topic...

Today, i finished designing a new decalsheet, for various future WHIF and RW projects.
to sum them up:

Real World:

-1/144 Mig-29A Fulcrum (German & Cuban AF versions)
-1/144 F-104G Starfighter (Netherlands AF)
-1/144 F-16BM "20 years OCU" (Belgian AF)

What If:

-1/144 DH Comet 4B (Belgian Air Force)
-1/144 F-104G Starfighter "Area 88"
-1/144 F-16A Fighting Falcon "Area 88" (my alternative for the F-20 for Shin Kazama)
-1/144 F-20 Tigershark "Area 88" (Shin Kazama)
-1/144 F-16A "Sonny Tuckson" (from a Buck Danny comic, unmarked with a black skull and number 13 on the tail)
-F-35A-style refueling boom recepters for F-23's (1/144)
-various 1/144 secret projects....

compared to last time, there are no 1/72 projects on the sheet, but those will most likely appear on the next decal design.
as for the next few days, im gonna look into finishing the A330-MRTT and the 2 Sea Kings.
next in line to be built is a series of single type aircraft, im still decided between F-16A/B/C's, Mig-29's, F-23's and F/A-18E/F's.
as for the F-16's there are at least 8 in line, half of them are WHIF projects.

looking at the stash, there are a lot of potential future projects. a Hasegawa 1/144 NAMC YS-11 for example, im thinking of building it as an RAF HS.748 series 3 (or HS.749, or super Andover).
im also planning on building an RAF Vanguard AEW.1 using the radar of a heller E-2C Hawkeye. as for a color scheme, im thinking similar to the Shackleton AEW aircraft (overall dark grey with light grey/blue underside).

also in 1/144, i have 4 F-104 Starfighters. 2 have been earmarked to be build, a Dutch and an Area 88 version. a 3rd one will be an RAF machine and the 4th one will be Converted into a Zombite Fighter.
on the bench:

-all kinds of things.

Spey_Phantom

Blog Entry #158

again, a lot of activity on the bench the last few days.
the RCAF Airbus A330-MRTT has been put on hold for a while due to development problems with the refueling kit (boom design).
also, i have started work on 4 realworld 1/144 scale Mig-29A's (3 revell and 1 academy). the 4th one (academy) was pretty much unwanted (bought it just for the decals), but i had an old "The Swifts" mig-29 that needed a replacement, so i thought "want not, waste not".
the 3 revell kits are being built as Russian AF, Cuban AF and German Luftwaffe fulcrums.
ive had to make some modifications as to make them look like fulcrums. changes include a 4mm nose extension, shorter and revised rear landinggear struts, shorter and repositioned weapons pylons, new ordanance (for some, salvaged from a trumpeter Su-27/30).....

ive also done some work on the SeaKings, mosty the assembly of the landinggear pylons.

as for what to build next, after the Mig's, i still dont know, im thinking some 1/72 Luft'46 kits might be a good idea, still have a lot of those in the stash, although ive been in the mood for Russian equipment lately, so im thinking a 1/144 Tu-95 Bear-D. ive also been playing with the idea of buying one or 2 more bears and convert them to a Civilian airliner (like the Tu-114 "Cleat") or even a tanker derivative (Tu114TZ or Tu-95TZ "Meat").

lately, i havent been feeling so good. for the last few days, i feel tired, my chest feels heavy and i get nervous for no reason.
i think i might be coming down with something, or maybe its just cabin fever trying to get to me, as ive been unemployed for the past 3 months and i havent had any succes finding a new suitable job. for the moment im doing fine, but living on my own with my girlfriend is quite expensive and my unemployment benefits are barely enough to support me. i have to put on a little of my savings on top of it, just to get by. i can hold out for a while, but i need a better income. i really hope to find something, but with the holidays only 3 weeks away, i dont think im gonna find something until after newyears.

more soon....
on the bench:

-all kinds of things.

Spey_Phantom

Blog Entry #159

more progress has been made, i am now in final stages of completing the last 2 of 4 1/144 Mig-29's.
the aircraft for The Swifts and Luftwaffe were completed earlier this week.
the other 2, an operational Russian AF and Cuban AF version, are in final stages of painting and assembly.

pictures of the completed Fulcrums:

no progress on the 2 1/72 SeaKings or the 1/144 RCAF A330-MRTT this week.
looking at the stash, i have a hard time selecting the next projects, on one side i have3 or 4 1/144 Alpha Jets to be built, while on the other ive been  wanting t odo some WHIF building, looking at 3 1/144 Su-47 Berkuts, in witch i plan to build 1 Russian AF, 1 PLAAF and 1 New Flanders version. for the Russian version, various upgrades are in line, including a new radar nose section, thrust vectoring nozzles, a new Su-37 style slinter camo,....

there are also plans to design new decals for the first projects for 2016, WHIF projects including: Saudi Su-30MKS (long overdue), French Aeronavale A320-MPA, RAF F-104K Starfighter F.3....
i still havent figured out most of the WHIF project, but lately ive been workign on a number of RW projects, like the F-4's and the Mig-29's. other RW projects in 1/144 for 2016 are 3 F/A-18C Hornets (US Navy, Spanish and Canadian AF versions), various F-16A/B/C's (decals already printed in the last run),.....

im really looking at getting back into the 1/72 arena, i still have tons of '46 themed models waiting to start, also some modern and classic jets and helicopters. i also recently found my lost Revell 1/72 Fairey Rotodyne, witch i planned to build in Belgian AF colors.
ive also been looking at a series future Belgian AF whifs that needs to be built, including the Tiger ARH, H135M and possibly a KAI T-50BE (as an Alpha Jet replacement).

there are still many more, but to su mthem all up would take forever, for now, im gonna look at finishing up what i have on the bench now, and then stop building new models until after the holidays.

ive been stuck with a horrible cold for the past 2 days now, im going to the doctors office tonight to get me checked out.
i asked for a housecall, but they were overbooked already  :-\ so now i have to go 7 kilometers to another town to get a checkup, i need to be there by 18.00 (3 hours from now). the missus isnt to happy about my sickness, my shortness of breath is keeping her up.
hopefully i can get better by the weekend.

more soon..... ;D
on the bench:

-all kinds of things.

Spey_Phantom

Blog Entry #160

this morning, i finished up the last of the 4 1/144 Mig-29's, pictures will follow soon.
right now, the next thing to do, as the end of the year is closing, is to clear whats on the bench, being a A330-MRTT and 2 1/72 SeaKings.

meanwhile, ive started preperations for 3 more new builds, the first WHIF's for 2016.
these are 3 1/144 Su-47 Berkut fighters. 2 will be built as a New Flanders AF and an operational Russian AF version.
also, the 3rd one will be quite different, as i plan to upgrade it to an Su-47S Berkut-E standard. this upgraded version will include new TVC nozzles (from a trumpeter Su-27 kit) and a new Su-35 style nose (also from the trumpeter Su-27). as for a color scheme, im thinking 2-tone desert spinter camo (sand/brown) in the same style as the Su-37 Terminator, with the black forward canopy of the new Su-35.

in 1/72, im looking to start on new '46 themed models, including the P-84, AW Meteor, Luft46,....i mentioned a previous time.
since i have a larger workspace now, im even thinking of starting on that 1/72 Italeri B-35 flying wing bomber i have in the stash.
im also planning a number of Civilian models in the new year, including the scale-o-rama Ar.234 Airliner conversion.
other long overdue civilian models include an InterFlug Tu144, Sabena Vickers Vanguard (or Bristol Brittania),...

there are also the very long delayed builds, such as my 1/72 future Belgian Air Force project (Airbus Helicopters Tiger-MRH, H135M, KAI T-50, F-35A, A400M.....).

so there's still lots and lost more to come in 2016.  :mellow:

more soon....
on the bench:

-all kinds of things.

Spey_Phantom

Blog Entry #161

Wing assembly on the Airbus CC-165T Manitoba (A330-MRTT in RCAF service) is done, but i still need to do some corrections on the refueling equipment. i already finished one of the planned 3 1/144 Su-47's, the other 2 might get started after the holidays.
im also getting some space ready for a few '46 themed builds in 1/72 scale.

meanwhile, ive been eyeing that Mig-1.44 MFI in my stash lately (both the 1/144 and 1/72 versions) so those might be the next 5th Generation fighters i will build.

there has not been much activity on the bench in the past few weeks due to other commitments, and most likely there will be no further activity due to the holidays, maybe after Christmas i will get things moving again.

last saturday, me and the missus traded christmas gifts, this was because we will be spending christmas at our families (christmas eve with mine, and christmas day with hers), so we decided to give our gifts early so we could enjoy them before we left.

i got her a brand new laptop, as i saw that she was struggling with her old one (couldnt work without the powercable, malfunctioning SD & USB ports,...). she was obviously very happy with her gift  ;D

i was really happy with mine to, no new stash additions unlike last year (that was before she saw the actual stash), but i did get a new Playstation 4  ;D, it didnt come with games, so the next day she went out to get some (Transformers: Devastation & GTA 5).
and with the announcement of Ace Combat 7 a few weeks ago, it really was a gift with potential  :thumbsup:

next week will be my last Blog entry for this year, so for now,

Merry Christmas!

on the bench:

-all kinds of things.

NARSES2

All the best Nils, have a good one  :party:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Spey_Phantom

Blog Entry #162

no progress this week, but ive mostly been doing some planning for the new year.
ive been clearing the worktable and im about to do some cleaning and stash management the next few days.

looking at the stash, ive started planning for after new years.
earier this week, ive partially started on 2 trumpeter YF-23 Black Widow II's (to be modified and built as production machines) and i have 2 more in the pipeline.

in 1/72 scale, im hoping to start on a new Luft46 project soon, i havent figured out witch one yet, but before i start, i have to get some tins of Humbrol RLM enamel paint.
furthermore in 1/72, im planning on revisiting my Belgian AF: 2025 project, beginning with an Airbus Helicopters H135M.
other plans include a H665 Tiger-ARH, Lockheed F-35A Lightning II, Airbus A400M (both 1/144 and 1/72) and an Airbus A330-MRTT (1/144).

the first project to be finished after newyears is the 1/144 scale CC-165T Manitoba (Canadian A330-MRTT).
also, there are 2 Su-47's and a Mig-1.44 next in line (the latter will be RW, but there is a 1/72 WHIF coming).

2015 has also been a very productive year for me modelwise, completing more project then i did in 2014 and 2013 put together.
here's to a even better 2016  :cheers:

until then, enjoy the last days of 2015  :thumbsup:

more soon....
on the bench:

-all kinds of things.

Captain Canada

Merry Christmas Nils ! Sounds like you had fun and what a great gift to give the GF !

Cheers to 2016 !

PS-looking forward to some Manitoba progress pics  :thumbsup:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Spey_Phantom

Blog Entry #163

im a few days late with this blog entry due to other priorities, but here it is  :mellow:
the last week ive been focusing my efforts on 2 1/144 scale YF-23's and a 1/72 Mig-21F-13 for the Cold War GB.
the Mig will be painted in a Dutch all-metal color scheme in 321 Squadron markings.
so far, only the pilot figure has been painted.

the A330-MRTT and the 2 Sea King have been put on hold this week due to lack of motivation.
as soon as the YF-23's are done, priority will shift to the Sea Kings.

ive started to make a list of all the projects im planning for this year.
with Revell re-releasing the 1/144 F-5E, im planning on building a couple of these, including a RNZAF version (allong with an A320 Tanker), an attempt at an F-5A/CF-5/NF-5A conversion (did some research, it can be done) and many others.
revell also is rereleasing an Su-27 in 1/144, but ive build this one before and im not going to put any effort in this horribly innacurate kit, besides, i got plenty of Trumpeter flankers to keep me busy.

for now, im going to do some cleaning and reorganisation of the workbench and do some stash sorting.
there are still many projects in the pipeline, but im not going to reveal much about that until the workbench has been cleared.

more soon....
on the bench:

-all kinds of things.

Captain Canada

Sounds like a plan Nils. Look forward to Seaing the Sea Kings  :thumbsup:

Also nice to hear that the F-5E is coming back out.

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Spey_Phantom

Blog Entry #164

little bits of progress at a time, last night, i finished 2 trumpeter 1/144 YF-23's, and im already thinking of starting a 1/72 version soon.
meanwhile, work has (AGAIN!) restarted on the 2 1/72 SeaKings. i have 2 more seakings in the stash, and im thinking of building 1 in RAF SAR colors (the yellow one).

the Airbus A330-MRTT in Canadian markings has been put on ice for a while, as im gonna move forward with the Dutch Mig-21 (witch shouldnt take that long).

looking ahead into the stash, i have 2 more 1/144 YF-23's there, and im thinking of building one of them as a German Luftwaffe aircraft as a tornado replacement. the other im thinking of building in either USAFE or RCAF markings.
still waiting in line for the 1/144 collection are 3 Russian aircraft, 2 Su-47's and a Mig-1.44.

there is still lots of work planned for 2016, and this afternoon, im gonna do some stash management.

as for future builds, i have this planning, mostly limited due to hobby-budget limitations:

-as soon as the 2 SeaKings are done, work will begin on 2 1/72 NH90-NFH's (also commision builds)
-bench planning will include at one time: 2 small 1/144's, 1 larger 1/144, 1 1/72 build and 2 1/72 commision builds (progress & priority to varry).
-reduced new stash buy until the current is slimmed down (will still get new stash, but will be 1 for every 3 or 4 gone).

more soon....
on the bench:

-all kinds of things.

Spey_Phantom

Blog Entry #165

the past week, ive been focusing all effort and hobbytime on the 2 Sea Kings. progress is very good, and the first layers of sand/green camo are applied. if all goes well, they should be done by the end of next week.
the 1/72 Mig-21F-13 and 1/144 A330-MRTT have been put in the fridge until the Seakings are finished.

when the SeaKings are done, work will begin on 2 1/72 Belgian NH90-NFH's.

this week, ive been looking into getting back into the Civilian modeling sector, ive been looking at reviving old disbanded Belgian airlines (SABENA, CityBird, Air Belgium, Young Cargo....) with newer equipment. DACO still has some Citybird decals available on the cheap, so these will most likely be aquired for newer airliner (A320neo, A320, Boeing 737-800,...), ive been looking at getting a pair of Concordes for Sabena and Citybird (or maybe JetAir).

so while Military models wil still be built, i will be looking at civvy models aswell  ;D

but for now, no new builds this week as the missus is stuck at home due to a stomach bug, so im gonna be spending some time with her and get her better.

more soon.........
on the bench:

-all kinds of things.

Spey_Phantom

Blog Entry #166

work has been very slow this past week due to more urgent priorities, but im getting there  ;)
the 2 Sea Kings are making good progress, bith of them have recieved its camoflage colors and one of them already has a layer of orange/red on the nose and tail.
it might need to be touched up as some of the paint managed to get beneath the maskingtape.

no progress on the Mig-21 or the A330-MRTT, work will continue as soon as the SeaKings are done.
there will be little time this week to do some actual building, last week my GF was home with a stomach flu, this week she's home due to a bad back (again, last time she was at home for almost 6 months).

this weekend there will be no building, as im gonna spend the weekend with the missus at my parrents place.

back to modeling  :mellow:,

ive been researching a conversionwork for a 1/144 MAN 630 truck from the revell Bundeswehr vehicle set.
i have been looking into converting one or 2 into fuel trucks for an airfield diorama set (with an F-104G).
research is still going on for a series of civilian aircraft models, such as Lufthansa, Sabena & Jetair concordes, A320's,....

so yes, its been a slow week, but i hope get things up to speed again soon  :mellow:

more soon....
on the bench:

-all kinds of things.

Spey_Phantom

Blog Entry #167

Main paintwork on one of the SeaKings is done, but work on both models is temporarily halted due to other priorities.

this week, i have started sorting out the stash, and have already sold one of the surplus kits, a 1/72 Heller Ju52.
still need to sort out what else to sell, but right now, im busy assembling 3 new cabinets.

ive also got an Airbus A300B on the way, witch plan to convert into a A300-600F first, and then into a refueling tanker.
nationality will still remain secret for now.

the bench also needs cleaning, so that space is freed up again for more work, including on the 1/72 Mig-21F13.

sorry for the short blog, will post a longer one at a later date....

more soon...
on the bench:

-all kinds of things.