Spey_Phantom's corner of solitude

Started by Spey_Phantom, October 20, 2012, 02:07:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spey_Phantom

Blog Entry #229b

today, i have started leveling up my modeling skills after many of my friends noted that my models look a bit too glossy, so i have decided to start experimenting with the Airbrush again. so ive masked off the 1/144 Su-47M im currently building and started spraying again. after a number of failures in the past, i think ive finally got the paint/thinner ratio and air pressure right.

ive applied a first basecoat of soviet blue over the entire model, so in the next sessions im gonna practice camoflage.
ive got an imcomplete 1/144 Mig-29 ive got as a bonus in a secondhand kit, im gonna use it as a testbed for camoflage spraying.

here's a pic of my first airbrush attempt.

with the workbench almost as good as empty now, im gonna start on finishing some previously started builds that have been gathering dust on the shelves.

more soon....
on the bench:

-all kinds of things.

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

DogfighterZen

Yup, looking smooth... i'd say that was a good first experience with the airbrush, it's a cool tool. ;D :thumbsup:
"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

TheChronicOne

Nice looking to me as well. I like the color, too!
-Sprues McDuck-

Spey_Phantom

Blog Entry #230

Last week, ive started using an airbrush for the first time (see previous post). it started of OK for single colors, but when i taped the model off for the splinter camo, it turned into a nightmare. the canopy was okay, but the paint for the splinter calo managed to get under the maskingtape edges  :-\, im gonna have to respray it and start over.

another project im about to start on is a realworld Eduard 1/72 Aero L-39 in East German colors. as for What Ifs, im currently looking into a number of 1/144 Su-47M's, incloding a Slovakian, Bulgarian and maybe even a Czech version. this will complement the Russian version im working on right now.

im also looking for some great camo paters for European based MiG-29's, i have 4 1/144 versions in the stash and im planning on building a few of these with the Romanian SnipeR upgrade, but these will take a while before i start.

before starting on a few larger builds, im about to do some stash management, perhaps looking into selling off some of the impulse buys from over the years. the stashis starting to get out of control and i have no more room for new kits. so its either mass build them or sell some of them off.

as far as jobhunting goes, im having some serious problems on that field that its harming my mental health. i will write more about that some other time as its kinda complicated to explain it.

more soon...
on the bench:

-all kinds of things.

Spey_Phantom

Blog Entry #231

little progress has been made on the bench, the 1/144 Su-47M is nearing completion, the model is fully painted and decalled, just waiting now until the wheels and weapons are dry before fitting them on. i also used a few new techniques on this model, including Airbrush coats of finned enamels and Humbrol clear as a sealant (works better with an airbrush then brush painting).

as this model nears completion, the next projects are those on the Shelf of Shame, including 3 1/144 Super Hornets, 1 Airbus A300 and a 1/72 SeaKing. those will be completed befor starting on the next new projects.

Future projects are already being looked at, including Mig-21's in various scales & versions, an IL-62M tanker version in GDR markings, and various RAF themed models.

and now for a personal update:

as ive mentioned last time, im once again suffering from mental health issues, the many failed job interviews and past experiences that have resulted in layoffs have caused signifficant damage. on the verge of a nervous breakdown (and evenually having had an emotional breakdown), ive started therapy an job coaching a few months ago, and although im starting to feel better, when it comes to jobhunting, ive still lost all confidence. but luck is now gradually starting to change, as i had another job interview yesterday and it went quite well, this has somehow started to restore my faith in the field of looking for work in the metalworks sector. i should get news regarding that later today. its been 6 months since ive left the Navy job, and money is starting to become an issue, ive already cut back on certain points, but its not a permanent sollution. i feel like im being forced to take whatever they offer me.

however this is is still conditional, on one hand im happy that there are people looking to hire me, but on the other hand im still doubtfull it will result in any permanent employment. for the past few months ive felt like ive been sabotaging myself, ive had a few offers from other companies, but they have a bad reputation in regards to treating theyre personel (and i know due to the temp jobs i took in said companies). in most cases (appart from the companies previously noted) they offer me jobs for a possition that ive been (or not) trained in, but have little to no experience in that particular task.

as they say: "when you've hit the bottom, there's nowhere else to go but up".

more soon
on the bench:

-all kinds of things.

NARSES2

Best of luck to you Nils. I had some similar problems,but 40 odd years ago now, so although I do know a little of how you are feeling the whole work situation has changed completely so I can only partially understand. None the less I'm glad you are seeking professional advice, it worked wonders for me, that and good friends.

I'm not sure what the situation is in Belgium but here in the UK more and more employment opportunities are becoming temporary contracts. Unfortunately seems to be the way things are going. I had 3 jobs (and one of those was for 6 months) in 40 years, not the way of the world now though.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Spey_Phantom

Blog Entry #232

its been a while since i last posted an entry, so here's the next installment.

the workbench at this moment is empty (aside from the shelf of shame), i havent has time to do anything lately as i am back at work since last monday.

one of the next projects on the bench is an Eduard 1/72 L-39 Albatross, to be built as a realworld East-German aircraft. in terms of What If's im looking at starting on a number of 1/144 MiG-29A's.
meanwhile preperations are underway for a number of RAF themed builds for various forums and group builds. these projects are:

-1/144 Eurofighter Typhoon T.1 & FGR.4 (for the RAF GB on KG144)
-1/144 Avro Lancaster B.Mk.1 (also  for the GB on KG144)
-1/144 Airbus A320 CC.1 (for the RAF GB either here or on BTS, if it will start soon)

there are sill more RAF builds planned, including, in 1/144 scale, F-104K Starfighter, Vanguard EAW or MPA,....
meanwhile ive been looking at other Belgian themed builds, aside from the Airbus Tiger-MRH and H-135M's already announced, im also gonna look at restarting works on the 1/72 Humvee's that are sitting on the shelf of shame, i think i have enough airbrush exerience to make it look better. i also added 2 new project to the Belgian projects list, namely a 1/72 S300 PMU SAM Missile battery (radar truck and missile launcher), i mananged to find some cheap easy kits over on Aliexpress and with a respray and Belgian Army unit decals, these would look good in a What If scenario.

more soon...
on the bench:

-all kinds of things.

Captain Canada

Hey Nils ! Long time since I checked in. Congrats on the wedding ! I've been married over 20 years, and would certainly recommend it. Where's the wedding pic ? Be nice to see you two.

That NF-5 looks good. Looks like CDN camo !

Best wishes on the job front. And in the mental health front. Like I've said before, make sure you keep up with your exercise; Keeping fit and healthy is a great way to help the mind sort through itself.

:thumbsup: :wub:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Spey_Phantom

as you wish, Cap :)
here's a pic of me and the missus on our wedding day  ;)

on the bench:

-all kinds of things.

NARSES2

Great pic. mate  :thumbsup:

Glad to see you're at work

Spey_Phantom

Blog Entry #233

just a quick update  :mellow:

being stuck at home for a few days with health problems, thought i would pass the time with some modelingwork.
over the past week i have started a few "in-between" projects, including a zvezda 1/144 Mi-24, being converted into an Mi-35M. this one was completed today, i will post pictures of that one this weekend.

another project is a 1/144 scale Mig-29A, being corrected and modified, there might be more to follow at a later date.
just started today is another 1/144 model, this time a realworld Avro Lancaster B Mk.1 for the RAF centenial group build over on KG144, a accompanying Hawker Typhoon and/or Spitfire will be added later.

ive started taking some of the larger 1/144 kits to make room on the stash shelves for more. one of the next builds is a revell 1/144 Tupolev Tu-95, being built as a Luft46 Amerikabomber in Luftwaffe colors.

in terms of 1/72 models, ive restarted researching some eearlier Luft46 project, including the jet-powered swept wing Ju188 and the Arado Ar.434 airliner i was looking into last year. im also starting to do some development work on some modern armour stuff aswell. i recently got a 1/72 S300 missile set (launcher + radar truck) on the cheap via aliexpress, these will be resprayed in NATO olive paint and marked up with Belgian Army unit markings & licence plates.

lots more soon......
on the bench:

-all kinds of things.

strobez

Hey Nils glad to see you're making some progress.  Your 1/144 builds have inspired me, so I've broken free of the 1/72 rule and started putzing around in the 1/144 world.  Amazing some of those tiny planes have some great details. 
Thanks!

Greg

Spey_Phantom

Blog Entry #234

work on the bench has been very steady since the last blog entry, with multiple completed models leaving the bench.
in 1/144 scale i have finished a Revell Avro Lancaster B.Mk.1 (realworld) and a zvezda Mi-35M (converted from an Mi-24), right now, the finishing touches are being applied on a 1/144 Revell Mig-29A.

looking back at last years projects, there are a lot of them that never got built, so ive decided to review them to see if they are still viable ideas. a number of them got cancelled (including the IL-86 tanker), others got revised.

looking at what to build this year, i have narrowed down a number of larger projects to:

-Ilyushin IL-86 Classic in JetAir/TUI markings.
-Sukhoi SSJ-100 as a Russian AF AWACS.
-1/72 Arado Ar.555 as an atomic long-range bomber.
-1/72 Mystére IVA in Somalia Air Force markings.
-1/144 Tu-95 Bear-D as a Luft'46 Amerika bomber

lately, i have been playing arround with an idea to slim down the 1/144 stash witch is getting overstocked.
i have been experimenting with nail decals as alternate markings, they are cheap, easy to come by and apply very well with no residue.
i have managed to get a large stock from aliexpress for less then a fiver and they are perfect for my next builtplan, witch is a modern version of Area 88 aircraft (call it an Area 88 2.0 idea  :lol: ). ideas are being made for new mercenary pilots, new aircraft and markings,....i still need to work out all the details.
there's also plans for various realworld and WHIF RAF themed models for various RAF Group Builds.

of course in 1/72 there are also big plans. i have revived my 1/72 P-84A Thunderjet project for the Allies'46 GB on BTS. other plans include various Belgian military equipment, including S-300 missile systems, Humvee (already in assembly), Airbus H135M's and Tiger-MRH, F-35A Lightning II,...

more soon....
on the bench:

-all kinds of things.

strobez

Quote from: Nils on March 16, 2018, 08:52:29 AM

... perfect for my next builtplan, witch is a modern version of Area 88 aircraft (call it an Area 88 2.0 idea  :lol: ). ideas are being made for new mercenary pilots, new aircraft and markings,....i still need to work out all the details.

Urm... count me in! I'd love to see what hat plan looks like!
Thanks!

Greg