Spey_Phantom's corner of solitude

Started by Spey_Phantom, October 20, 2012, 02:07:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spey_Phantom

Blog Entry #260

little progress made this week, i was planning on starting a few new projects, but right now, im doing a bench clearing build.

today, i restarted work on 3 1/144 scale F/A-18E/F/G super hornets, witch have been gathering dust on a shelf for almost 3 years.
other projects recieving attention are the last 1/72 Sea King and another 1/72 F-16AM.

over the next few months my benchtime will be reduced conciderably due to other priorities.
i cant go into details just yet, but lets say big things are coming...

until then, its bussiness as usual, next projects in line are the first 1/144 area 88 builds and 1/144 WW2 WHIFS. im also planning on dusting off a half-started Luft'46 project in both 1/72 and 1/144.

more soon......
on the bench:

-all kinds of things.

NARSES2

Quote from: Nils on June 16, 2019, 09:08:41 AM

over the next few months my benchtime will be reduced conciderably due to other priorities.
i cant go into details just yet, but lets say big things are coming...

Tease  ;D
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Spey_Phantom

Blog Entry #261

slow progress this past week, little progress has been made on the realworld (and 1 WHIF) 1/144 Super Hornets. the EA-18G Growler version is now for most part assembled and recieved its first decals, the rest wil be done at a later time. im waiting to continue with the single-seat (WHIF) until the two-seat F-version is fully assembled and painted. all 3 of them still need wheels and weaponry painted.

with the last of the realworld 1/72 Sea King's now in final stages of completion, i will take on some of the last sub-assemblies (rotors), but first the rotorblades need to be painted. i also found another WIP model on the fridge, a 1/72 F-16AM, but it still needs more work before it can be painted, som im going to look into doing some smaller assemblies over the next few days in short sessions.

in terms of future builds, im getting idea's for new Civil builds lately. i remembered i was planning to build a 1/144 Boeing 707 with 4 CFM56 engines (707-800 or -8), but i have 2 more CFM56-5C engines left over from a revell Airbus A340, i was thinking of putting those on a Roden VC-10 i have in the stash. ive been thinking of building it in WHIF Air Bruges colors. i also have plans for an A330-300 i have in stash for a while, and im thinking either Citybird or VLM Airlines colors.

next on the line are still the 3 1/144 F-5E Tiger II's, work will begin once the Super Hornets are finished. when the 1/72 Sea King is done, work should begin on 2 1/72 Belgian NH90-NFH's. 1/72 Luft46 projects will also continue once the F-16 is done.

More soon.....
on the bench:

-all kinds of things.

TheChronicOne

I like the sound of these civvie birds.   :mellow: :mellow: :mellow:
-Sprues McDuck-

Spey_Phantom

Blog Entry #262

the 1/144 Super Hornets are making good progress, the EA-18G version is now finished, the E-Model is not that far behind either. the Aussie F-model however is going to have to be cancelled, i used Revell spraycan primer for the first time and had some sputtering in the nozzle  :-\ result, the paintjob ended up with a poured concrete texture, useless  :-\
so the E- and G models wil be finished with the F- ending up being stripped for spare parts. i will buy a new revell 1/144 EA-18G to replace it at a later date.

the next model to be finished on the bench is the 1/72 Sea King Mk.48. this one still needs decals, rotors and its frons wheels, but for the rest is all finished.

for my next build, im gonna start on the 1/144 F-5E's and a single F-20 Tigershark next, but to prevent the mistakes i made with the Super Hornet, im gonna be using the Humbrol primer in the tin and airbrush it on.

i was planning on going to Koksijde today, for the Belgian Aerobatic championships, but severe exhaustion and a painfull lower back this week has prompted me to stay the weekend at home to rest.

big news is coming up next month, so stay tuned  ;D.....
on the bench:

-all kinds of things.

Spey_Phantom

Blog Entry #263

bit by bit, the bench is getting empty, but just when space starts to clear, it gets filled again.
with one 1/144 Super Hornet now done and the other awaiting decals, have started on 4 new kits in assembly line mode.
these are 3 /1/144 Revell F-5E Tiger II's and a single Mini Hobby Models (ex-LS) F-20 Tigershark, all in Area 88 colors. a 4th F-5E might be added later.

the 1/72 Sea King is being prepped for decals and the rotors are being prepped for paint.

building the old 1/144 LS F-20, ive been thinking about giving it a major upgrade, by kitbashing it with a Revell F-5E to create a somewhat decent version of the tigershark. on both the upgraded and OOB versions, im going to ad a new engine nozzle, from the cancelled RAAF F/A-18F.

the last week has been a roller coaster ride with ups and downs, mostly on my wife's side. upside was her cousin just had her first baby boy born on tuesday. but the down side is her last grandmother passed away last sunday, we went to attend the funeral today. of course this has brought back some memories of her mothers funeral last november, specially as it took place in the same location.  :-\

of course there is some good news, but i wont be able to give it until the beginning of august, just to be sure nothing goes wrong.

more soon.....
on the bench:

-all kinds of things.

NARSES2

Please pass my condolances on to your wife Nils.

Oh by the way you are a big tease  ;)
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Spey_Phantom

Blog Entry #264

its a hot one today, with temperatures reaching 42°C and more today. at this moment, im at home for the next 3 to 4 weeks since the workplace is closed for the summer vacation, so plenty of free time to do some building.
over the last few days, the stash has grown again, but for now the growth will stop due to other priorities.
also, im heading for Billund, Denmark next week.

on the bench, things are moving very slowly, with 3 1/144 F-5E's and an F-20 on the go at the moment.
i would work on more, but atm its too hot in the mancave, so im waiting for things to cool down before starting airbrushing.
so i might start some decal design work for the 1/144 B-1B Lancer, designing Saki's "White Swan of Death" tail art. i have the decal design, but i jedt need to scan in the B-1's tail to scale it down.

i was gonna write more, but my PC is having issues due to the heat.

more soon...
on the bench:

-all kinds of things.

NARSES2

Spey_Phantom

Blog Entry #265

final preperations are being made to tomorrow's departure to Denmark, but i did find some time to get a few smaller works done.
in 1/144 2 out of the 3 F-5E's are almost done, one had to be canned after a paint problem in the airbrushing stage. the F-20 also looks satisfactory.

from what ive seen for tomorrow, we are gonne be flying on a CRJ-900LR (from Cityjet, on behalf of Brussels Airlines), compared to BA's own A320/319 as i first thought. just hope there's enough room for our luggage on board that small airliner. being there might give me some inspiration for future Civilian builds.  ;D

more soon....
on the bench:

-all kinds of things.

zenrat

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Spey_Phantom

Blog Entry #266

time for another blog entry, on returning from Denmark, i got back at it in whatever free time i had.
the 2 1/144 F-5E's and F-20 are mostly completed, they are now ready for decals and armament. for my next build, im not quite sure yet, first im gonna complete whatever is still on the go.

still in line for continuation are a 1/72 Sea King, 1/144 Luft46 bomber and a 1/72 Luft46 strike aircraft.

and now for the news  :mellow:

first off, our trip to Legoland and the Lego house was a huge success, we really had a great time, everyone in Denmark is really friendly and we are definatly going back there some day  :thumbsup:

pictures: https://www.facebook.com/nils.steyaert/media_set?set=a.10219801005472755&type=3

and the plane spotting, from the hotel room  ;D: https://www.facebook.com/nils.steyaert/media_set?set=a.10219748490719919&type=3

and now, for the big announcement:

......WE ARE PREGNANT!!!!  ;D

thats right, my wife is now 13 weeks far, im so happy im going to be a dad!
we still have to wait a little while before we know if its a boy or a girl, but i dont care, i will love that baby.
birth is expected to be mid-februari 2020, and we have already started works and preperation to get everything ready by yearend. this will however cut my benchtime conciderably, but its worth it  ;D !

more soon......
on the bench:

-all kinds of things.

PR19_Kit

Now that's GREAT news, congratulations to you both.  :thumbsup: :drink: :cheers: :bow:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

zenrat

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

NARSES2

That is terrific news. Congratulations to the pair of you  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: