Spey_Phantom's corner of solitude

Started by Spey_Phantom, October 20, 2012, 02:07:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spey_Phantom

Blog Entry #105

alright then, the last Blog entry of 2014  :mellow:

no progress this past week due to the holidays, and i dont think there will be anymore finished models for 2014  :-\
still in progress on the bench is a 1/144 scale F-14A Tomcat, to be in Area 88 markings.

im also gonna start on decal designing for a new project for 2015, a Managuan Air Force F/A-18C Hornet, from the Comic book, "Buck Danny: Battle over the Mountains". this will be an entry from the Buck Danny Group Build over on the Dutch modelbuilders forum.
the scale will be 1/144, although im concidering upping it to 1/72  ;D

here's a pic of the project:

other projects currently on the drawing board are a 1/144 Mig-21 from Area 88 (using a trumpeter J-7II kit) and the 2 1/72 SeaKings.
meanwhile, i decided to cancel my 1/144 Belgian AF Airbus A320, and use the decals on a Zvezda A321 (kit announced for 2015).
this means i now have 2 A320's for Whiff projects, im thinking of building one in new SABENA markings, similar to the Airbus A350 i built earlier this year (see here)
as for the second one, im thinking of a A320-MPA version for the French Aeronavale, as a replacement for the Dassault Atlantique II.
although i could go for a NATO SIGINT platform aswell  ;D
but im thinking of painting in vintage RAF Air Support Command markings with the Grey/White/Blue scheme.

also on the projects list is a 1/144 Airbus A400M in Belgian Air Force markings, A CC-145T tanker aircraft (Canadian A330-MRTT), Interflug Tu-144,.......but thats for later in 2015.

of course there are 1/72 projects aswell, such as a Mig-39 Flatpack in Russian AF service, A GDR Mig-37 Ferret, a Beriev Be-6 in Luft'46 markings (due since 2013), belgian A400M (Due since 2013),.......
so there are plenty of ideas to chose from  :mellow:

the holidays went by pretty good, Christmas eve at Jessica's place was nice, Christmas was a tad low key, since her mother had a case of the flu and couldnt eat much. but we had a good time.

Jess got me a very nice christmas gift, a Revell 1/72 F-4F Phantom "Pharewell" and a 1/144 Tornado ECR "Tigermeet 2011".
if course i was very happy with her gift, and she was with her's aswell (got her a nice silver/blue stone necklace).
some day im gonna propose to her, as a wise man said "Any girl/woman who gives you modelkits for Christmas is the one you're gonna marry." but not yeet, we've only been together 10 months, maybe an idea for next Christmas  :wub:

newyears eve is coming up this week, im gonna be spending it at home with my family and Jessica  :mellow:
as for new years resolutions, at the moment i only have 2.
1. get a new job, 2. get my drivers license.

until then: Happy Newyears, everyone  :drink: :party: :cheers:

more soon......
on the bench:

-all kinds of things.

Captain Canada

Cool cartoon. Lots of action going on down on the ground !

Glad to hear you got some plastic. I never do anymore. If only. I love fondling that stuff on Christmas morn !

I'd also like to file a complaint. All this ramble and not a single mention of the Arrow or your Sea Kings ? What up with that ? lol

Happy Holidays Nils. See you next year !

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Spey_Phantom

Quote from: Captain Canada on December 28, 2014, 07:03:27 AM
I'd also like to file a complaint. All this ramble and not a single mention of the Arrow or your Sea Kings ? What up with that ? lol

the Arrow was finished 2 months ago

http://www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic,38498.15.html
on the bench:

-all kinds of things.

Captain Canada

LOL and upon re-reading the whole thread I see you still have the Sea Kings on the drawing board.  :blink:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Spey_Phantom

Blog Entry #106

first new entry for 2015, so lets get down to bussiness  :mellow:

the 1/144 F-14A is moving again, starting with the tail sections, witch still need an tip of yellow and decals.
should start on the cockpit later today aswell.

meanwhile, i also started on a 1/144 Airbus A319 in New Flanders Air Force markings, but i had some problems with the second layer of white this morning, as as soon as i applied it, it started crisp and peel off, so i had to strip it off and start over  :angry:

as a change of pace, ive started work on a new ship, a 1/144 New Flanders navy Corvette, using a hull from an airfix 1/72 E-100 Shnellboot i got on the cheap and a scratchbuilt top contruction of my own design, witch will include a helicopter deck. i already salveged a gun turret from a scrapped Revell 1/132ish USS Defiance gunboat. (the remains will be converted to an unarmed Belgian coastguard vessel).

as for the 2 Airbus A320's i have in the stash, witch will be built on a later date, i have decided to paint one in a new SABENA color scheme, the other will be painted in RAF Air Support Command markings.
at the moment, im currently designing decals for the 1/144 F/A-18C in Managuan Air Force colors.

no progress on the 1/72 SeaKings in the past week.

in 1/72, im gonna start on a new next-gen project as soon as the bench clears up, im thinking of a Mig-1.44 in Air-To-Ground configuration and/or a MIG-37 in GDR and VVS markings.
although for the Mig-37, im planning on closing up one of the weapons bays (witch are way to small for my taste) and cut out 2 new larger ones to accomodate a pair of KAB-500 Laser guided bombs or a pair of R-77 Adders.

more soon.........
on the bench:

-all kinds of things.

Captain Canada

Sounds good Nils, especially the ships and the ground attack Mig. 1.44.

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Spey_Phantom

Blog Entry #107

the Bench is starting to clear up, i just finished an Area 88 1/144 F-14A Tomcat (Revell), expect pictures later today  :mellow:
meanwhile also on the bench is a revell 1/144 P-51B Mustang, that was converted to a P-51D, the result isnt that good, but good enough for a 99 cents kit  :-\ still need a paintjob for it, dont know what markings yet.

no progress on the SeaKings  :-\

with the bench now clearing up, i might start ona Real World 1/144 Mig-31 Foxhound, got a Revell kit in the stash, but the aircraft needs some serious work to make it correct, especially the landing gear, witch appears to that of a Mig-25  :unsure:
there's also numerous modifications needed to make it look like a Mig-31, the landing gear is gonna be the hardest part, trying to find replacement parts that fit, and wheels big and flat enough to fit on them, its not gonna be easy  ;)

also on the "soon to start" pile are a 1/144 scale F/A-18C (revell) and Su-27 (trumpeter).
the F/A-18 will be painted in managuan Air Force markings for a Buck Danny Comic Book GB over on the Dutch modelers forum.
as for the Su-27, i have 2 kits, one will be built OOB, with Russian AF markings, the other will be converted to an Su-35S (possibly Russian AF). im hoping to get a pair of 2-seaters soon (Trumpeter Su-27UB and Su-30MKK).

as for the larger projects, in 1/72 im still looking into building a Russian version of the Shorts Tucano, and a more advanced version of the Mig-37 Ferret. research in both subjects is nearly done. for the tucano im thinking Russian rocket pods and a pair of AA-8 Aphid AAM's, and the aircraft painted in desert camoflage with lightgrey or lightblue underside  :mellow:
as for the Mig-37, im thinking either 3-tone slinter camo, or 80's Grey/green camo like on the Mig-29A.

more soon........
on the bench:

-all kinds of things.

Captain Canada

You had my interest until I got to the Sea King part lol. When did Revell release the wee Mustang ? Can't say as I've ever seen or heard of a 144th scale Mustang before now.

No word on any of your ship projects ?

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Spey_Phantom

on the Naval front, Cap, all is quiet, but, im gonna look into that soon.

the revell mustang is part of theyre "micro wings" series, they are not the best out there though,
the moulds date back to the 1970's and the fit is way to far from perfect  :-\

but they do make a good source for whiffs or spare parts, i got 4 hawker typhoons, just for the propellors to fix an old Lancaster  ;D
i might cut off the Sabre Napier engines for another project  ;)
on the bench:

-all kinds of things.

Captain Canada

I like that idea Nils ! A 4-engined Napier Sabre engined Lanc ! In 144th scale, of course  :thumbsup:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Spey_Phantom

Blog Entry #108

on the bench at the moment is a realworld Revell 1/144 Mig-31 Foxhound, undergoing some corrective surgery and upgrade.
changes include reshaping of the inert intake walls, new landing gear, fitting of airbrakes, new tailplanes,...

on the whiff line, there is a 1/144 F-22A Raptor all ready and painted up (for WW3 story build), but i dont know what markings to apply yet.
it used to be in New Flanders Air Force markings, but i torn those off and now im looking to a new operator. i was thinking Saudi Arabia, but looking at the current situation, im thinking of re-equiping them with Russian/Chinese aircraft, im thinking Su-35 or Su-47 and J-20.
also, in the WW3 build, im curretnly looking at the YF-23 as a JSF alternative, i can easely get the trumpeter 1/144 version and im thinking of painting that in Dutch, Italian, USAF,....versions. in the same dark color scheme as the F-35A with lighter grey/metallic panel lines.
using the low-vis dutch decals from italeri's F-35A (witch look a bit to small for my liking, wish they at least added serials to the UK, AMI, RNLAF and BAF decal options  :-\ )

im thinking taking in some 1/72 models in between to, i got some ideas figured out for the Mig-37 and Mig-39 (Mig-1.44)
this weekend i also got a 1/72 Italeri Kamov Ka-52 Alligator, im thinking Czech Army or Saudi Army. ive also got plans for the Ka-58 stealth helicopter :)

im still looking into some naval models aswell, im gonna look into continueing the building of the 1/144 Corvette, there's also plans for a 1/144 frigate in the future, as im planning to scrap my old westkerke-class frigate and use the hull to build a new main assembly for a new and better frigate design. also got plenty of old ship-hulls to convert into 1/144 patrol boats and LHD's.

more soon........
on the bench:

-all kinds of things.

Captain Canada

I like the idea of the Saudis switching to Russian stuff. And who knows ?

Look forward to seeing some pictoral updates. I love 14th scale stuff, as well as the naval builds.

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Spey_Phantom

Blog Entry #109

lots of work on the bench at the moment. but no real progress this last week due to more urgent personal matters.

on the bench are:

Quote1/144
-Mig 31 Foxhound (realworld 80% done)
-F-22A Raptor (awaiting decals)
-P-51D Mustang (awaiting paint/decals)
-USS Defiance (old 1/131 revell kit, undergoing restoration and conversion to a Belgian Coastguard ship)
-SH-60 Seahawk (old one being converted to a Fleet Air Arm/Special Forces Blackhawk HC.4).
-Flandria-Class Corvette (NVMS Artevelde, New Flanders Navy)

1/72
-2 x Seaking Mk.48 (realword, more then 8 months behind shedule)
-2 x NH90-NFH (to start as soon as the SeaKings are done)

on the drawing board are 2 x 1/72 Mig-37 Ferrets (with updates), a ground pounding Mig-39 (mig-1.44) and many more.
also on the drawing board are some more 1/144 models, including various Sukhoi Flanker Variants (Su-27, 27UB, 30, 34 & 35) and a couple of YF-23's. but i havent worked out all the specs and further details yet, so the YF-23's and a mayority of the flankers are blank-tails at the moment, but im thinking of building a Khemed Air Force version for the Su-35S Flanker. i got some more Su-47's in the 1/144 stash, i might make one in a Royal Saudi Air Force version.
also there are plans for an F-15S/MTD Active Eagle in USAF colors, im thinking low-vis grey and light-grey markings, like the F-35.
if course not all aircraft are going to be boring grey, as im also planning on adding some more colorfull Russian Aircraft in the mix.

as for the planned 2 Airbus A320's, the one in RAF Air Support Command markings is still on, but thesecond one in Sabena markings, im thinking of changing into either a Small Tactical Tanker or a Maretime Patrol aircraft. im still working out the details on a tanker version of the Boeing 737-800, and im thinking an Iraqi Air Force version would be nice, to refuel the F-16C and Mirage 2000's (ex-UAE), im even thinking of adding some ex-USAF F-15D/E's in the mix.

i wont have much time to build in the next few days, as im currently overbooked, got a job interview on monday and thursday and on teusday and wednesday i have to be in town on follow-up interviews in an employment consulting office. im gonna try to get something done in the evening, but i havent been feeling to well the last few days and i think im coming down with something, might be a flu.
havent done anything the past few days as my girlfriend Jessica came over for the weekend. for tonight, i might get back to work on the Mig-31, and clear up the bench this week.

more soon, until then, here are a couple of pictures from the bench at the moment.  :mellow:

on the bench:

-all kinds of things.

Captain Canada

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

NARSES2

Best of luck with the interviews Nils  :thumbsup:

Hope you don't get the flu. Apparently it's a particularly nasty strain this year
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.