Dies the Fire - Recon Riders

Started by buzzbomb, October 24, 2012, 05:16:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

buzzbomb

I haven't contributed for a while so here is a quick vignette I have done over the last few weeks.
Based on the book Dies the Fire by SM Stirling,  which, if you have not read it, has a basic concept of a change sweeping the world that stops all electricity and changes the physics around high pressure. In a nutshell, nothing that has electricity in any form or things like guns and Steam Engines work any more, so basically we are back to medieval times, bows and swords etc.
Different groups form and it is about survival in this new world.

so Here is my take on one of the Groups, the Bearkillers, this is perhaps one of their forward recon teams using bikes as tranport.

One bike is scratchbuilt

the other is from the Tamiya German Bicycle set, suitably modified.
Figures are 1/35 from from Zvesda and Dragon, bits and bobs with modified weapons into more modern crossbows

cheers

Brian T

Go4fun

Oh I love this concept!  :bow: I take it you know about the show "Revolution" on American Teli? All electric vanishes. But your senario sounds even better. :blink:
"Just which planet are you from again"?

Old Wombat

That's cool, Brian! One of those "God Effect" ideas, usually very good for character-driven stories & how people cope with change.
Really do like that vignette. :mellow:

Missed you at the SAPMA Expo, actually displayed my C-119C(T) dio & the old "28 Months Later..." dio.
Just for display, not in the comp... maybe next year. Just finished writing an article on the C-119 for Frank Morgan.
Need to get someone to take some decent photos, now.

Major ego boost, that! ;D
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

NARSES2

Excellent vignette  :thumbsup: That scratch built bike is marvellous  :bow:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Go4fun

That scratch-built bike is a wonder. Looks like something my oldest son hammered together in his pre-teens with the help of a local racer.
I won't go into the fork VS gooseneck angle here but I will say I learned they were very important to a good steering bike.  ;D

Old Wombat

I just noticed that the guy with the Dragunov sniper crossbow has a whopping great sword slung across his back, too! :o

So, what's the AK crossbow carrying guy using for a close-in weapon? ;)

:cheers:

Guy
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

buzzbomb

Ha ha.. well spotted Guy.

That would be the short backsword that is still wandering on the bench somewhere, I know I started one but clearly did not put it on.
Have to find that and remedy that situation

Yeah the scratch built bike does have some engineering "issues" but at 1/35.. close enough. I actually like it better than the tamiya bike which aside from the mudguards which in hindsight are just wrong, it does not have the right feel.  Tried to to a 1/35 Derailleur but that was an abject disaster as well. Gave that away as well.

;D

Zaskar24

Great little dio buzzbomb.  I've read the original 3 books in the series and this really captures the feel that Stirling created.  Is the ring pommel sword something you found or made?  Now I'm going to have to dig out my copies and reread them!

Rheged

Quote from: buzzbomb on October 25, 2012, 05:21:15 PM
  Tried to to a 1/35 Derailleur but that was an abject disaster .

I  have enough problems  fiddling with a  Derailleur  at 12 inches to the foot scale.  Even  considering a 1/35  version commands my respect and admiration.
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Rheged on October 27, 2012, 03:20:54 AM
I  have enough problems  fiddling with a  Derailleur  at 12 inches to the foot scale.  Even  considering a 1/35  version commands my respect and admiration.

I know JUST what you mean!  ;D :lol:

I've got about half a dozen of them, all designed by sadists, and none logical in their operation in the slightest. For the true deraileur gear fan try this web site. : http://www.disraeligears.co.uk/Site/Home.html

You could be gone for quite some time.......  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Rheged

Quote from: PR19_Kit on October 27, 2012, 04:08:56 AM
Quote from: Rheged on October 27, 2012, 03:20:54 AM

I know JUST what you mean!  ;D :lol:

I've got about half a dozen of them, all designed by sadists, and none logical in their operation in the slightest. For the true deraileur gear fan try this web site. : http://www.disraeligears.co.uk/Site/Home.html

You could be gone for quite some time.......  ;D

Thank you!  As  far  asI can see,  Derailleur gears  only work because cyclists believe in them. It's  rather like mediaeval  dragons........they existed  until knights stopped believing in them.   
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Rheged on October 27, 2012, 04:53:33 AM
Thank you!  As  far  asI can see,  Derailleur gears  only work because cyclists believe in them. It's  rather like mediaeval  dragons........they existed  until knights stopped believing in them.   

Hehehe, I can relate to that too!  ;D

I have a friend who lived most of her life in London and she says the same thing about the South Circular Road. If you're travelling along it yoiu'll only get where you want if you BELIEVE in 'The Road', once you've lost faith that it's there and it's ALWAYS going to be there, you're lost!  ;D

If you've never been along the SCR you won't know what I mean, so don't even try!
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

JayBee

Kit,

during my training as an ATCO I spent some time at LATCC/West Drayton.
On one of my days off, I circumnavigated both the South Circular AND the North Circular in their entirity.
Now even given that it was some 30+ years ago my mind still refuses to remember all of it.

Jim
Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!

Go4fun

Two real world things I see as pure magic and not to be fiddled with  at all"
Derailers and Automatic Transmissions!  :blink:
I can rebuild any manual transmission with a manual and the right tools but once I open an automatic all the magic escapes.
Sort of like computers. Filled with magic smoke. Once you open them and let the smoke out they are DONE!! :banghead: :banghead:

NARSES2

North Circular is a pussy compared to the South  :banghead:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.