Ebay screwed up?

Started by Weaver, October 28, 2012, 09:06:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Weaver

Has anyone else noticed this?

In the last few days, they've revamped ebay, with a new logo, much bigger pictures etc..  However, in the Model Kits category, most of the specific search filters on the left, like Scale, Brand and Type have gone. So for example, you can no longer search for all the "hueys" with "1/72nd" in the "scale" box of the item spec, you can only search for items with "1/72nd Huey" in the title, thereby missing any that didn't put the scale in the title. The really annoying thing is that if you have an old saved search which uses those filters, they still work (so it's obviously still technically possible), but you just can't choose them for a new search. Filters are also still available on things like cars and clothes.

I've tried all ways to get the filters back but I can't so if anyone knows how, pray tell. I've also e-mailed ebay, to which I await a reply (without much hope I must say: their response to issues like this is notably dire).
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

PR19_Kit

A classic example of 'If it ain't broke, DON'T fix it'!  :banghead:

So many web sites do this sort of thing, changing the ONE thing that made you like their site in the first place. Change in itself is NOT a good thing, only change for the better!
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Martin H

still looks the same to me.
I always hope for the best.
Unfortunately,
experience has taught me to expect the worst.

Size (of the stash) matters.

IPMS (UK) What if? SIG Leader.
IPMS (UK) Project Cancelled SIG Member.

NARSES2

Looks the same to me as well ??
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Weaver

Mine looked the same after the logo change for a while too, then the whole layout changed on about Thursday..... :unsure:
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."

- Indiana Jones

albeback

Ah! Wondered what had happened! Can't say I'm impressed. The filters were a really useful feature .
Loves JMNs but could never eat a whole one!!

NARSES2

Quote from: Weaver on October 29, 2012, 05:14:58 AM
Mine looked the same after the logo change for a while too, then the whole layout changed on about Thursday..... :unsure:

That's weird - I've just been in and there's no change at all.

Do you log onto Ebay.co or Ebay.com ? I use .co and there's no change (as yet)

Chris
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Go4fun

Seems the different website's programer mottos are "If it ain't broke we'll change it anyway to earn our tupence".
"Just which planet are you from again"?

Weaver

Narses: I use ebay.co.uk.

Albeback: glad it's not just me! (if you see what I mean)

- Indiana Jones

rickshaw

Must be a British thing.  .com.au is still the same.
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

Martin H

hmm still no change for me, im still getting all the old fetchers here on .co.uk. long may it remain so ;D
I always hope for the best.
Unfortunately,
experience has taught me to expect the worst.

Size (of the stash) matters.

IPMS (UK) What if? SIG Leader.
IPMS (UK) Project Cancelled SIG Member.

Weaver

I got an e-mail back from them yesterday, but it only served to confirm that they didn't understand the question..... :rolleyes:

Mailed them back, waiting with baited breath now.....

- Indiana Jones

Nick

Weaver, are you certain you are in the specific Model Kits category page? Are you going to it via a now incorrect link? This page works for me - http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/Model-Kits-/1188/i.html?_catref=1

Because I'm seeing it just fine with all the options after clicking through the Categories lists. You may need to clear the browser cache.

jcf

eBay.co.uk has different search options than ebay.com in the US, which does not have a pick for scale.

Weaver

Quote from: Nick on October 30, 2012, 10:50:14 AM
Weaver, are you certain you are in the specific Model Kits category page? Are you going to it via a now incorrect link? This page works for me - http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/Model-Kits-/1188/i.html?_catref=1

Because I'm seeing it just fine with all the options after clicking through the Categories lists. You may need to clear the browser cache.

You might have solved it there!

I thought it couldn't be the browser cache because it's set to delete-on-exit, but when I looked at the settings, it was preserving favorite site info. I unchecked that, deleted the cache, then logged back onto ebay and up came all the old filters. It must be some odd interaction between old saved info and the recent changes that they've made to the site.

Nice one!  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

- Indiana Jones