AIRCRAFT BRITAIN SHOULD HAVE HAD

Started by crudebuteffective, October 30, 2012, 10:15:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

maxmwill

What about the Gloster f9/37?

With a pair of Hercules making it go places instead of the Taurus?

And a quartet of cannon in the nose?

NARSES2

Agree re the F9/37, nice looking aeroplane.

I built an in service example and still have one other kit in the stash. Probably D.A.F. tankbuster if it gets built
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

rickshaw

Quote from: Flyer on July 19, 2014, 06:08:30 AM
Quote from: NARSES2 on July 19, 2014, 05:38:34 AM
Agree re the F9/37, nice looking aeroplane.

I built an in service example and still have one other kit in the stash. Probably D.A.F. tankbuster if it gets built
I too like the F.9/37 but I have one little niggle with it, the fins look WAY too small, they obviously do the job but I cannot help but to think that.

More than likely in service, the fins would have had to be increased in size IMO.  Particularly once engine power increased, as invariably it would have with successive marks.
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

jcf

Quote from: maxmwill on July 18, 2014, 06:59:35 PM

And a quartet of cannon in the nose?

F.9/37 (Taurus 1st prototype, Peregrine 2nd prototype) carried five 20mm cannon,
two in the lower nose, three behind the cockpit.
Carter's later single-seat heavy fighter, the Reaper was based on F.9/37 and
had a quartet of 20mm along with 8 .303 Brownings in the belly, engines were to
be Merlins.

Yes Chris, he enlarged the vertical tails when the engines were changed from
Taurus/Peregrine to Merlin.  ;D

Librarian

Quote from: maxmwill on July 18, 2014, 06:59:35 PM

....and you'd almost have a Breguet 693 ;D. Both a/c in my top 20.

KJ_Lesnick

That being said, I'd like to remind everybody in a manner reminiscent of the SNL bit on Julian Assange, that no matter how I die: It was murder (even if there was a suicide note or a video of me peacefully dying in my sleep); should I be framed for a criminal offense or disappear, you know to blame.

MAD

Quote from: rickshaw on October 31, 2012, 11:29:27 PM
Done two:

Hawker Sea Hunter

Hawker Herne (development of the Sea Hunter)

Rickshaw, I love your carrier-based Sea Hunter! But if I may, it would be more British-like if it's nose landing gear had a longer strut, which would give it better angle of attack on launching  ;)

M.A.D

MAD

Quote from: crudebuteffective on July 13, 2014, 02:23:29 PM
Quote from: MAD on July 13, 2014, 12:19:15 AM
Quote from: crudebuteffective on October 31, 2012, 08:37:19 AM

THE BAC AUCKLAND( typical navy didnt want to use the airforce name)

Amy chance of seeing a better/clearer (focused) photo of your BAC Auckland crudebuteffective?
Including a front-on view.

M.A.D

HERE IS A FRONT ON  will search out a better side on pic

Wow thank's crudebuteffective!! I've been wanting someone to do a dedicated ASW/ASV carrier-based variant of the Canberra for years now, and I've always contemplated what & how was the best wing-fold arrangement would be!
My only concern is the inherent problem with hanger roof clearance of the traditional wing-folding arrangement you've chosen  :o I was wondering if the wing-fold could be engineered to lay more over on the main-wing/fuselage? or could a Grumman wing-fold (eg Wildcat/Hellcat/Avenger arrangement) work? Regardless I love your idea and work!! :thumbsup:
P.S. I would greatly appreciate your offer of
Quotewill search out a better side on pic

M.A.D

DarrenP

westland had the licence to Build the Blackhawk I suspect they were hoping to replace the Wessex HC2 and the the Lynx AH9 would this have been a better option.
I also saw allot of web chat on Avation forums that the AH6/MH6 little bird should have been bought (all this was round the time the Blackhawk Down movie was in the cinema) personally if we'd wanted something like that we should have goten westland to dust of the file marked scout/wasp and build a modern version but to the same build standard.

NARSES2

Can I just ask that you bear in mind the comments I have made here please lads ?

Thanking you in advance

Chris

http://www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic,39108.new.html#new
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

DarrenP

given the use by New Zealand should the RAF have bought the Bristol Freighter?

What would have been the fall back had both Swift & Hunter failed?

Logan Hartke

I always thought so. The Bristol Freighter was a great, efficient aircraft for what it was. Until the advent of heavylift helicopters, it seemed to be about the best way to tactically transport light vehicles by air.

Cheers,

Logan

DarrenP

reading some of the accounts it was highly thought of in Borneo on the air drop side of things to. Would it have been better option than say the Valetta or the Hastings?

PR19_Kit

Quote from: DarrenP on July 26, 2014, 03:17:23 PM
What would have been the fall back had both Swift & Hunter failed?

How many fall-backs would be needed? And what if THOSE fall-back failed?

In one of the other 'Aircraft Britain Should/Shouldn't Have.....' threads people are complaining that we had too MANY fal-backs!
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

MAD

I think the RAF (and for that matter the British military) would have been better of purchasing more and updated Short Belfast long-range, heavy lift transport aircraft. These would be equipped with the 'projected' more powerful Rolls Royce Tyne RTy.22 engine rated at 7,075 hp (5,276 kW) each, replacing the standard Rolls-Royce Tyne R.Ty.12, Mk. 101 turboprop, of 5,730 ehp (4,270 kW) each. Imagine the difference an adequate number of these long-range, heavy lift transport aircraft could have done from the Falklands War onwards!!
Either this or the British/RAF committed itself to the complementing or outright replacement of the Short Belfast with a more modern take on the design - the proposed Short SC.5/45 proposal – essentially a Belfast fuselage (more or less), turbojets and a Lockheed C-141A-like wings

M.A.D