AIRCRAFT BRITAIN SHOULD HAVE HAD

Started by crudebuteffective, October 30, 2012, 10:15:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

crudebuteffective

Martin Baker/AW Cyclone FR1, Malaya 1953
Remember, if the reality police ask you haven't seen us in ages!
When does "old enough to know better" kick in?

crudebuteffective

Royal Marine Westland Iceni AGP1 (Aerial Gun Platform) falklands 1982

armament: 1x low recoil 20pdr gun
                1x 20mm polsten
                2x matra pods
                12x TOW missiles (brought off americans and hastily fitted for 1982 conflict)

PR19_Kit

That's one BIG gun under the 'dyne's belly and a novel siting for the SNEB pods too! I like it.  :thumbsup: :bow:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

crudebuteffective

i think this would take the accolade of largest gun conventionaly fitted to an aircraft beating the A10 and the HS129

rickshaw

20 Pdr was 84mm in calibre.  The AC-130E mounted a 105mm.
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

The Wooksta!

One Ju 88 flew - by which I mean staggered into the air - carrying an 88mm  anti tank gun.  There were plans to fit the Ju 288 with a 280mm cannon.

There's something very Freudian with the German obsession with bigger and bigger weapons...
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

crudebuteffective

True the C-130E holds the record for biggest gun mounted an aircraft,

I'll stack the Iceni's claim for the largest forward firing gun operationally used  on a aircraft

I could be a politician with my wording lol

crudebuteffective

In Feb 47 a crisis hit the British supersonic flight team, the Miles M 52 had flown at over 700 mph but  the need to cool the engine had reduced the space around the engine for fuel tanks thus reducing the fuel tank capacity, this combined with its high fuel consumption prevented it from flying long enough to reach supersonic speeds.

The team decided to help the aircraft to height by slinging it under a stripped down Lancaster and carry it to 20,000 foot thus saving the fuel required
The mods included removal of all turrets and strengthening the fuselage around the bomb bay to enable the rear of bomb bay roof be taken out and  devising a trapeze type system to lower the AC prior to dropping.

THE BUILD

This started with a text to from one part of crudebuteffective ( son no 1) to another part ( dad) stating that he had found a Czech firm that made a 1:72 M52, in the next hour the text back and forward had ideas for the mothership, chase plane and ground handling equipment.

Santa obviously hacked into our mobiles and we now have the M52 and a Lancaster.

The build is complicated in a way airbus industry would be proud of, because one part of CBE is stationed in south west of England and the other part is at home in the midlands so the Lancaster and M52 will be built in different locations ( to keep the domestic manager happy the Lancaster parts may even be built in different rooms LOL)

LET THE BUILD BEGIN!

crudebuteffective

The Wooksta!

That'll be the A&V Resins kit.  Rough is the best word to describe it.  If you're doing it wheels up, you could have started with a 72nd V-2 rocket. 

IIRC, it was a Lancaster B.VI that was going to be the drop ship. 
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"

The Plan:

KJ_Lesnick

The OP talked about an Avro Agincourt -- what's that?
That being said, I'd like to remind everybody in a manner reminiscent of the SNL bit on Julian Assange, that no matter how I die: It was murder (even if there was a suicide note or a video of me peacefully dying in my sleep); should I be framed for a criminal offense or disappear, you know to blame.

McColm

Su-27 Sea Flanker, I've got a 1/72 kit in my stash. Britian should have taken up the offer from the Russians whilst waiting for the Eurofighter. They could of had some Mil-24 Hinds.
Then there is the A-40 Mermaid, okay so it wouldn't have replaced the Nimrod outright, but for inshore or as a troop transport/special ops.
The engines and avionics would have been British sourced and even used as an aggressor unit for training purposes.

PR19_Kit

If we didn't have the Nimrod MRA4 already in production the A-40 would have made a brilliant replacement for the MR2s. They could even operate them from the Moray Firth just off Kinloss too!  ;D

It's a pity the A-40 looks like going the same way as the Seamaster as no-one wants to buy it.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

McColm

They could of had the 'Nimrod 2000' package fitted to them, Japan seemed the likely buyer they could have used it for Search and Rescue.
You can buy the Anigrand resin 1/144 AA-4040 Breriev A40 Mermaid for $98, I haven't seen a 1/72 kit. I'm not too sure on what kits to use for a Whiff build although a scratch build might be better.
A Models have a 1/72 water bomber version of the smaller Beriev Be-200, AMUBE200 for  £171.56.

The Wooksta!

"Visit Scarfolk today!"

The Plan: