1/72 Revell P-47M / Thunderbolt Mk. II (W) Big Wing Weather Recon

Started by The Big Gimper, November 02, 2012, 01:09:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Big Gimper

A long time ago, in a Hobby Shop far far away, I had the small spark of an idea to build a big wing P-47 to be used for weather recon.

But alas I was not able to find the right wing to meet the high standards of the Big Wing WHIF Police (BWWP).   :rolleyes:

I was struggling to extent the wing span by at least 4-6 scale feet per wing. I tried many different wings but nothing impressed me.

Inspiration hit me last night. While surfing on Republic products, I stumbled upon two builds of the XF-84. One of the builders took the quick build Hobby Boss F-84G (which I have), removed the tip tanks and shorten the fuselage. A quick checked showed that a F-84 wing does with a bit of trimming line up the stock P-47 chord. 

So, out with the saw: chop saw chop saw chop and here we have the wonderful Revell P-47M with an extra 12 foot to scale wing span. I cut the P-47 wing just outside the flaps so I could keep the landing gear and guns. No wing pylons, just a fuselage tank.

I need to add some piano wire / styrene strips to build a mini-spar to ensure I keep the dihedral constant.  I was also able to attach the existing wing tip.  :)

Here is the new left wing with the right yet to changed.

Update: Here are both wings primed and attached and a comparison to my Academy P-47D:

To make it a completely boring finish, it will be silver with markings from the new P-47 SEAC T-bolt decal sheet from Xtradecal.

Carl
Work In Progress ::

Lots of stuff

PR19_Kit

Way to go! Yeeeeeeeeeah!  :thumbsup: :bow:

[But I would say that, wouldn't I?  ;D]
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Go4fun

"Just which planet are you from again"?

sequoiaranger

Now THAT looks amazing! Having the "perfect chord and taper" sections worked out wonderfully.

Kind of like the Bf-109T with extended tips, I bet onlookers will not catch on early that the wings are extended--it really looks RIGHT.
My mind is like a compost heap: both "fertile" and "rotten"!

The Big Gimper

Quote from: sequoiaranger on November 02, 2012, 02:54:23 PM
Now THAT looks amazing! Having the "perfect chord and taper" sections worked out wonderfully.

Kind of like the Bf-109T with extended tips, I bet onlookers will not catch on early that the wings are extended--it really looks RIGHT.

Thanks Craig.

It took me awhile to find the right insert. I am learning that you should not rush into the a project like this. I almost used B-25 wings. 

I can't wait to turn a few heads on this. I did have to add some 0.020 and 0.010 styrene patches to contour the underside as I favoured the upper wing surface when lining up the wings.

Lots of stuff

NARSES2

Well thats a super fit  :thumbsup: For some reason it looks Japanese to me ??
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Rheged

After  August  1949,and  the  detonation of  USSR's  "First Lightning"  atom bomb, weather recon  was  an euphemism  for  high altitude   particle  sampling.I  assume that you will be hanging  a variety  of  sampling pods off   sundry parts of this excellent  item of  aeronautical   equipment
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

The Big Gimper

Quote from: Rheged on November 03, 2012, 02:55:12 AM
After  August  1949,and  the  detonation of  USSR's  "First Lightning"  atom bomb, weather recon  was  an euphemism  for  high altitude   particle  sampling.I  assume that you will be hanging  a variety  of  sampling pods off   sundry parts of this excellent  item of  aeronautical   equipment

I had not thought of that. My plan of record is to finish it in 1946 SEAC (that's my current obsession) but give how well the project has progressed, I literally just bought another P-47M so I will commit to building a 2nd one to be completed as USAF fallout sampler.

Thank you for the idea and inspiration.

Lots of stuff

PR19_Kit

And of course it would make an ideal PR aircraft if you could find somewhere to mount the cameras. With a P-47 that'd be difficult as the entire underside of the fuselage is filled up with turbo-charger and the massive pipes that serve it. Maybe underwing camera pods?
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

The Big Gimper

Quote from: PR19_Kit on November 03, 2012, 04:27:51 AM
And of course it would make an ideal PR aircraft if you could find somewhere to mount the cameras. With a P-47 that'd be difficult as the entire underside of the fuselage is filled up with turbo-charger and the massive pipes that serve it. Maybe underwing camera pods?

Agreed. Something like this where a 1/2 fuel tank makes a nice pod.

So what you are saying is I need to build 3 A/C? The scary part is I have enough P-47Ms in the stash to do this.  :rolleyes:

Lots of stuff

Sticky Fingers

Quote from: PR19_Kit on November 03, 2012, 04:27:51 AM
With a P-47 that'd be difficult as the entire underside of the fuselage is filled up with turbo-charger and the massive pipes that serve it.
I believe there was space available between the tail wheel and the turbocharger. What I don't know is if that space is big enough for a camera.

sequoiaranger

Maybe too far in the "future", but if the plane will be a "sniffer", might it be part of the "Stragegic Air Command" and thus have similar markings? I love the "mailed fist grasping lightning bolts" motif, as well as the orange stripes, etc.

Just a thought!

The Big Gimper

Quote from: sequoiaranger on November 03, 2012, 09:04:56 AM
Maybe too far in the "future", but if the plane will be a "sniffer", might it be part of the "Stragegic Air Command" and thus have similar markings" I love the "fist grasping lightning bolts" motif, as well as the orange stripes, etc.

Just a thought!

I love it. The "Milky Way" band.

Of course the night after I apply the decals Curtis LeMay will be paying me a visit in less than cordial terms asking me why there is a WW II vintage fighter in his SAC?

Lots of stuff

sequoiaranger

>Of course the night after I apply the decals Curtis LeMay will be paying me a visit in less than cordial terms asking me why there is a WW II vintage fighter in his SAC?<

Offer him a box of cigars and all will be forgiven.

Remember, though, what we know as "SAC" was started DURING WW II as the "Continental Air Forces", and in 1946 became the "Strategic Air Command". LeMay took over in '48, so "we" aren't that far off, time-wise.

Rheged

Quote from: sequoiaranger on November 03, 2012, 09:39:13 AM
>Of course the night after I apply the decals Curtis LeMay will be paying me a visit in less than cordial terms asking me why there is a WW II vintage fighter in his SAC?<

Offer him a box of cigars and all will be forgiven.

Remember, though, what we know as "SAC" was started DURING WW II as the "Continental Air Forces", and in 1946 became the "Strategic Air Command". LeMay took over in '48, so "we" aren't that far off, time-wise.

You  could always contract  the job out to  someone  else.  The Canadians,  the Norwegians  or  even (very  quietly) the Swedes
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet