Firefighting Aircraft

Started by rickshaw, November 10, 2012, 06:08:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chrisonord

Its an impressive piece of woodwork though isn't it, and if it was developed further it could have been an impressive piece of kit. It would certainly over shadow the martin mars.
PS what is the Russian plane in the foreground?
Chris
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

scooter

Quote from: chrisonord on November 28, 2012, 03:43:01 PM
Chris

Looks like a Fox series, probably a Foxbat
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

chrisonord

Cheers scooter,
I had a sneaking suspicion thats what it was, but which one  :unsure:
Chris 
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

Mossie

One I've thought about for a while for the Gannet in my stash (not necessarily to be in Quebec colours).  I've deleted the radar and associated third seat, faired over the tail-hook mounting.  If the Tracker can, why not the Gannet, eh? 

I know the Tracker was a simpler beast and more suitable for private operators than the Gannet, but lets assume the Gannet got more exports (Canada for instance) to make it more viable.  A couple of rough profiles:

I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

sandiego89

Ohh, I like that, espcially the yellow/ornage combo.  Think the Gannet is great WHIF candidate- a natural follow up to the firefighting Avengers in Canada. 
Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

Weaver

Nice one Mossie: with the 3rd canopy and the radar gone, you might be able to do without the auxiliary fins too.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Mossie

That's a good point, if I ever get around to doing it I might leave them off.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

kitnut617

Quote from: chrisonord on November 28, 2012, 03:43:01 PM
Its an impressive piece of woodwork though isn't it, and if it was developed further it could have been an impressive piece of kit. It would certainly over shadow the martin mars.
Chris

Sorry to say nothing exotic, plain old Mig 29.  McMinville though is one of the few places where you'll see an F-14, there was one right next to this aircraft.  Notice the 747 in the background, well that is mounted on top of a building --- a water slide park to be exact and you have to go up into the 747 as that is where the slides start, in the fuselage.

If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

NARSES2

Saw the Spruce Goose when it was in L.A. Strangely I was rather underwhelmed by it. My imagination made it larger then it was in real life. Glad I got a chance to see it though  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Weaver

Quote from: NARSES2 on November 30, 2012, 03:36:30 AM
Saw the Spruce Goose when it was in L.A. Strangely I was rather underwhelmed by it. My imagination made it larger then it was in real life. Glad I got a chance to see it though  :thumbsup:

Funny how these things work, isn't it? I had the same thing at Woodford:

I'd always thought of a Vulcan as a "big" aircraft because, I suppose, it's much bigger than most jet fighters, it has such a tall undercarriage, and I first encountered it as a little kid.

Conversely, I'd always thought of a BAe 146 as being a "small" aircraft because it is small, relative to other airliners, and has a certain "cuteness" about it.

Then one day, you see the one taxiing past the other, and realise they're roughly the same size......... :unsure:
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

kitnut617

Was that when it was parked next to the Queen Mary Chris ?  I would imagine anything would look small compared to that ship.

NARSES2

Quote from: kitnut617 on November 30, 2012, 06:30:45 AM

Was that when it was parked next to the Queen Mary Chris ?  I would imagine anything would look small compared to that ship.

It was in the museum at Longbeach and yes the QM was nearby, but not so that you could compare the two. I just had this image in my mind of a flying behemouth and it just didn't match it  :blink: Was still a very interesting aircraft though and the whole "Hughes" aerospace exhibition was fascinating
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

kitnut617

It's just occurred to me that the 747 in the last pic I posted is a water bomber of sorts, when the water slide park is open it continually dumps water down to the pool on the bottom level of the building    :lol: :lol: :lol:

NARSES2

Flipping big crane to get it up there  :blink:

Rheged

At first glance, I thought that it was a 747 on a thundering great ski jump.   Useful for getting out of small airfields.
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet