Firefighting Aircraft

Started by rickshaw, November 10, 2012, 06:08:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jcf

Evergreen's 747 Super-Tanker and the Il 76P both carry far more than the Mars.

DarrenP

Aeritalia G222, C160 Transall and C130's would all make good firebombers.

but how about S3 Vikings, P3 Orions, Avro Shackletons, Lancaster or Vulcan?

PR19_Kit

A Beverley would work well too, pity there's only one left........  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Rheged

It's a shame that they got rid of those  Princesses out at Calshot..........or what about a Belfast or three?
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Rheged on November 20, 2012, 04:12:28 PM
It's a shame that they got rid of those  Princesses out at Calshot..........or what about a Belfast or three?

NOW you're talking!  :thumbsup:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

Hobbes

How about an updated flying boat? Imagine the Sunderland stayed in production for this purpose, getting new engines as they became available. Eventually ending up with 2 powerful turboprops. Total load including fuel was 11 tons, so maybe 5 tons cargo capacity for the original versions, maybe more when more powerful engines are installed.

jcf

The Japanese tested a water-bomber conversion of the Shin Meiwa PS-1 in the late 1970s, and offers the capability on the current production US-2 with a 15 ton capacity system.

http://www.shinmaywa.co.jp/english/guide/us2_fire.htm

kitnut617

Quote from: Hobbes on November 21, 2012, 04:59:24 AM
How about an updated flying boat? Imagine the Sunderland stayed in production for this purpose, getting new engines as they became available. Eventually ending up with 2 powerful turboprops. Total load including fuel was 11 tons, so maybe 5 tons cargo capacity for the original versions, maybe more when more powerful engines are installed.

Hmm! that's just what I'm building now (slowly building that is )

Big tail, straightening the wing to their original position and re-engining it with Darts too. And it will be an amphibian to boot.

I've got a thread started on here somewhere --
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

PR19_Kit

An AMPHIBIAN Sunderland? That's going to need some SERIOUS wheele there!  :o :o

Regards
Kit

kitnut617

Well I'm going on the premises that the RCAF converted their Sunderlands into freighters (I've found out that it actually was proposed for operations with Tiger Force) and that Canadian Vickers got the contract to do the conversions.  This included making door openings and upgrading the enines with R-1830's or even R-2000's.  Canadian Vickers had just finished a contract of building amphibian Catalinas (RW stuff) and they suggested a modification to make some of the Sunderlands amphibious using the Catalina gear design as an example only bigger.  After the war these aircraft all became 'surplus to requirements' and were sold off to start-up freighter airlines operating in the bush country and Arctic.  Later, after Candian Vickers morphed into Canadair (more RW stuff) they used the experience to design the CL-214 and CL-415.

So what I've done is buy some 1/48 Catalina u/c gear, and using some spare Manchester (mains) and Blenheim (front) wheels I have in the spares box, I'll have a sturdy set of landing gear.  I have to modify the main gear to suit the straight up sides of the Sunderland as opposed to the curved sides of a Catalina and I'll study how the CL-215 kit has its u/c legs to help with the final design.

This is the colour scheme I'm going with, RW fire bomber and I've already got the decals for it.

TallEng

Nice idea :thumbsup:
And one that really should have happened.
But can't you do something about that fin?
The Sunderland was/is a very graceful looking flying boat,
That fin doesn't do anything for its looks at all.

Regards
Keith
The British have raised their security level from "Miffed" to "Peeved". Soon though, security levels may be raised yet again to "Irritated" or even "A Bit Cross". Londoners have not been "A Bit Cross" since the Blitz in 1940 when tea supplies ran out for three weeks

PR19_Kit

Good work on that landing gear Robert. I like the idea of 1/48 scale gear on a 1/72 scale model, good thinking. I'm looking forward to seeing it finished.

Regards
Kit

kitnut617

Keith, I'm toying with the idea of going as far as converting the Sunderland into a Seaford, which was powered by nearly 2000 hp Hercules engines and to handle the extra power it had an emormous tail with a dorsal fillet fitted.  The Dart engines I'm using on this had similar power so I needed a bigger tail.  I had in my spares box a left over Bristol Freighter fin & rudder which is nearly the same shape and size as the Sunderlands fin & rudder except of course the dorsal fillet.  I'll file and sand it into something a little less angular.  Even if I don't convert it to Seaford standard, I'll retain the new tail because the engine power will still be the same on it.  I'm working on the backstory where the operating company that converted their Sunderland Freighters into water bombers had upgraded to the Dart at the same time and needing a larger tail just happened to find a number of complete Bristol Freighter tails available, which for some reason or other were in Canada (maybe an upgrade for the RCAF Bristol Freighters).

Kit, my main problem with these u/c was trying to figure out how they went together, also how they really worked.  Eventually, after studying a number of photos I got it worked out so I could then think about how to revise it slightly.  I want to go with the same retraction cylinder that is in the set which means I have to work out how much shorter the top strut needs to be. I'll draw it out in my AutoCad and see what needs to be done.  Here's a pic of how it all goes together when it's on a Catalina.

Here's what I'll have to do to the top strut, first set it at a different angle (the right one here) and then work out how much to shorten the strut.

chrisonord

I am surprised no ha mentioned Mr Hughes uber flying boat the spruce goose, that thing could empty a lake onto a fire in one go. Shame they didn't make any more of them
Chris
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

kitnut617

Quote from: chrisonord on November 28, 2012, 11:35:57 AM
I am surprised no ha mentioned Mr Hughes uber flying boat the spruce goose, that thing could empty a lake onto a fire in one go. Shame they didn't make any more of themChris

This summer I went and saw the real thing, while chatting with one of the curator/guides there, he told me that it very nearly broke up on it's first flight.  I was told that it needed a total redesign before it could fly again and be produced as a 'production' version, that and it was waaay underpowered for something as big as a 747 -----

Here it is lurking behind the front window of the museum.