THE DREADED CARPET MONSTER! Coming Soon!

Started by seadude, November 11, 2012, 08:36:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seadude

Not sure if I should post this here or somewhere else. Mods are free to move it if it's in the wrong place.

Modelers fear it.
It is the scourge of the modeling world.
We loath it.
We hate it.
We lose model parts to it.
What is it you ask?

THE DREADED CARPET MONSTER!  :banghead:

To the best of my knowledge, I've never seen anybody do a diorama or other model creation of this dreaded mythical beast. This would represent a very fun and humorous model subject that I would love to tackle. It just begs to be done, and I want to do it! But.......I need some advice.

How do you think a carpet monster should look?
How big should I make the diorama?
What materials should I use?
How should I make the scene? What should I have the carpet monster doing?
Modeling isn't just about how good the gluing or painting, etc. looks. It's also about how creative and imaginative you can be with a subject.
My modeling philosophy is: Don't build what everyone else has done. Build instead what nobody has seen or done before.

Go4fun

It should be reared up on one end, having teeth on the underside and be consuming a partially built model. Eyes or a simulation are a good detail.
"Just which planet are you from again"?

Hobbes

Quote from: seadude on November 11, 2012, 08:36:08 PM

To the best of my knowledge, I've never seen anybody do a diorama or other model creation of this dreaded mythical beast.

PhilP did this:

jcf

This showed up at the IPMS-Seattle Spring Show in 2007, modelled by Terry Davis, photo by Terry'braincells37'Moore.

Go4fun

All good ideas. But can WE do something better?  :wacko:

seadude

Quote from: Go4fun on November 12, 2012, 10:59:17 AM
All good ideas. But can WE do something better?  :wacko:

I certainly intend to try!  :thumbsup:  What would be really cool is if I could do a "life size" carpet monster. By that, I mean create something from a 4x4 or 3x3 foot piece of carpeting and actually lay it on the floor. I don't know what the IPMS rules are for floor displays, but I think doing something more "realistic" is better than doing a small diorama that sits on the table. I would add eyes and a mouth and teeth. The inside of the mouth would look like a black hole. I could put orange warning cones and CAUTION tape around the whole display, with a sign that reads "Don't feed the monster."   ;D  ;D  ;D
Modeling isn't just about how good the gluing or painting, etc. looks. It's also about how creative and imaginative you can be with a subject.
My modeling philosophy is: Don't build what everyone else has done. Build instead what nobody has seen or done before.

Go4fun

NARSES2

Well there's a description of the "Sock Monster" which is obviously related in one of Terry Pratchet's Discworld books. It looks like a small furry animal with an Elephants trunk as far as I remember
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Dizzyfugu

And do not forget the Pastafarian Flying Spaghetti Monster! It might be related to the Carpet Thing!?