Royal Mail Warning, please read

Started by Aircav, November 14, 2012, 02:15:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aircav

As of January Royal Mail is banning the posting of Paint Aerosol's, Thinners and Airbrush propellants so you won't be able to get them in the UK mail order so stock up now while you can.
"Subvert and convert" By Me  :-)

"Sophistication means complication, then escallation, cancellation and finally ruination."
Sir Sydney Camm

"Men do not stop playing because they grow old, they grow old because they stop playing" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Vertical Airscrew SIG Leader

PR19_Kit

What have we done to deserve that? Do other carriers have similar restrictive practices?
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Nick

What's new about that? The Royal Mail website states that aerosols of more than 50ml and solvent based paints are prohibited already. You could get around it by using Recorded Delivery if I read it right.

FWIW, these rules are set by the Civil Aviation Authority, Dept for Trade and Industry and the Maritime and Coastguard Agency.
http://www.royalmail.com/despatch-inward-mail-services/hints-and-tips/prohibited-goods
http://www.royalmail.com/despatch-inward-mail-services/hints-and-tips/restricted-goods
http://www.royalmail.com/customer-service/terms-and-conditions/compensation-and-delivery#danger1  (Next years changes)

Aircav

It's now all aerosol Nick just in case it ends up on a plane as you can make them at the mo' "Do Not Fly".
We've been told that even if we send them via say TNT and the RM handles it somewhere we'll get them sent back to us.
"Subvert and convert" By Me  :-)

"Sophistication means complication, then escallation, cancellation and finally ruination."
Sir Sydney Camm

"Men do not stop playing because they grow old, they grow old because they stop playing" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Vertical Airscrew SIG Leader

PR19_Kit

So how the devil are we supposed to buy this stuff, or how are the manufacturers supposed to sell them? It's OK if you have a 'Local Hobby Store' but the nearest one to me that sells these things is around 80 miles away! In US terms that's around 250 miles........

I sense the ever present hands of the Health and Safety Executive and the insurance industry at work.

[Note : The word 'industry' is used here in its widest possible sense.....]
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

Been on the cards for ages (as Nick says) Be interesting to see what the couriers do ? Strictly you shouldn't even post enamel paints which is why Hannants always insisted you bought them with kits. Never seems to bother White Ensign however  :blink:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Mossie

Heh.  I suspect Hannants rules are a little more cynical.  They posted several to me when they were on back order without a kit (they'd already sent those in the original order) or any kind of special packaging.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

NARSES2

Quote from: Mossie on November 15, 2012, 07:41:37 AM
Heh.  I suspect Hannants rules are a little more cynical. 

Undoubtedly Simon
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

jcf

Well Radish should be happy as posting 'toiletry aerosols' and nail varnishes will now be legal. ;D

So, maybe just have your packages marked hairspray and nail varnish?  ;)

albeback

Forgive my ignorance but, do these rules only apply to Royal Mail? Just curious because ( for example) a number of items I recieved from Amazon recently were delivered by courier. This included a consignment of kits AND, 2 large aerosols of Vallejo Water based acrylic matt varnish!

Allan
Loves JMNs but could never eat a whole one!!

NARSES2

Allan each courier will have its own rules so for now I think these changes will only apply to RM. Note I only think they will I don't have a definitive answer.

Must admit I'm not sure how Amazon decide between courier and RM for delivery. I thought I did but a recent book delivery has confused me a tad

Chris

albeback

Quote from: NARSES2 on November 17, 2012, 02:15:43 AM
Allan each courier will have its own rules so for now I think these changes will only apply to RM. Note I only think they will I don't have a definitive answer.

Must admit I'm not sure how Amazon decide between courier and RM for delivery. I thought I did but a recent book delivery has confused me a tad

Chris

Hi Chris. I signed up for a trial period for delivery under Amazon Prime service - that may be the reason for courier delivery.

NARSES2

I'm on Amazon Prime as well (excellent service and a cheaper option if you use them a lot) they still use both Royal Mail and courier and as I said I can't quite figure out why and how they decide which. I thought it was weight/size but I don't think it's that. But, hey never mind it still gets here next day anyhow.

Personally I prefer RM by the way as they come at a reasonable time and if I'm not in I just go up my local sorting office. Don't often have to do that now I'm retired though  ;D

albeback

Quote from: NARSES2 on November 19, 2012, 07:52:41 AM
I'm on Amazon Prime as well (excellent service and a cheaper option if you use them a lot) they still use both Royal Mail and courier and as I said I can't quite figure out why and how they decide which. I thought it was weight/size but I don't think it's that. But, hey never mind it still gets here next day anyhow.

Personally I prefer RM by the way as they come at a reasonable time and if I'm not in I just go up my local sorting office. Don't often have to do that now I'm retired though  ;D

I do use Amazon a lot & agree that the Prime service is worthwhile. You're probably right about the weight/size issue. I don't really mind HOW they deliver - as long as it gets there next day, I don't mind! ;D I only work Mondays - Wednesdays so, I usually arrange for delivery on my days off.. Wish I WAS retired though!! ;D.
I could REALLY make inroads into my stash!!
Allan

NARSES2

Quote from: albeback on November 19, 2012, 09:50:39 AM
Wish I WAS retired though!! ;D.
I could REALLY make inroads into my stash!!
Allan

Thats what I thought as well - the actual impact was/only about a 30% increase. So many other things to do  :thumbsup: