Hurricane IIc with a difference

Started by kitbasher, November 14, 2012, 02:24:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kitbasher

I've wanted to build this for ages and, unable to resist a new Airfix 1/72 Hurricane IIc at a much reduced price decided to take the plunge.  A simple build using a nice, well-engineered kit.  The kit has its well-documented faults but it goes together like a dream, has a really good decal sheet and is ideal as a first or early kit to someone new to the hobby.  Also perfect whiffing material.
So, straight out of the box (apart from the obvious) and using one of the kit's marking options, i present a Hurricane IIc with a chin radiator:

You cannot view this attachment.You cannot view this attachment. 

As I said, not big, not clever, but very enjoyable.  The new nose come from a recycled Kittyhawk that was whiffed a couple of years ago (see http://www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic,26459.msg388855.html#msg388855: the same model gave up its floats for my de Havilland Dolphin effort for SMW 201 as posted elsewhere on the forum).  The propeller is adapted from redundant NOVO Wellington Ic prop blades, while the spinner is also recycled from the Kittyhawk/Jacana.
Enjoy!
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

The Rat

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

wagnersm

It is logical.  The Tempests and Typhoons had chin radiators. 

Nice whiff.

Steve

Go4fun

A wonderful piece of thingking and a good job in the building!  :bow:
"Just which planet are you from again"?

Captain Canada

Neat stuff ! I love that colour scheme with those SEA markings. The new rad sure changes the look of it eh ? And I have to admit....I don't like it ! Now you put that radiator back where it belongs, this instant !  :thumbsup:

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

PR19_Kit

Despite the very familiar canopy and fin that radiator totally changes the look and character of the aircraft.  :o

Amazing work there Dave, well done indeed.  :thumbsup:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Army of One

Wonderful.......simply wonderful.......!!!!  :thumbsup:
BODY,BODY....HEAD..!!!!

IF YER HIT, YER DEAD!!!!

The Rat

I've just realised what it needs - SHARKMOUTH!
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

kitbasher

Quote from: The Rat on November 15, 2012, 04:47:27 AM
I've just realised what it needs - SHARKMOUTH!

You're not wrong. Probably would have done that were it a kit decal option.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

The Wooksta!

"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

Mike Wren

really like this one, looks suitably purposeful with the chin radiator

NARSES2

Does look good and threw me for a while until I went around front  :bow:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

kitbasher

Quote from: The Wooksta! on November 15, 2012, 06:32:47 AM
Too obvious.  Looks better without.

Interesting point. Don't recall seeing many - if any - profiles or photos of any sharkmouth Hurris. Also Typhoons and Tempests were perfect sharkmouth fodder but I can think of only one Typhoon so adorned, and no Tempest Vs or VIs. Any evidence of sharked-up Tempests anywhere?

The Wooksta!

No, but I've a stalled Tempest that was going to get that sharkmouth.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

Glenn Gilbertson

Interesting idea & great modelling - but brutally ugly! :thumbsup: