New Star Trek Sorta-Kinda Build.

Started by Go4fun, November 15, 2012, 12:55:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Go4fun

Are these things solid Unatainium? One is $20 with $50 shipping the other is $50 with $30 shipping!  :o I guess it is back to Hindenburg and a 5 gallon bucket of Bondo!  :angry:
"Just which planet are you from again"?

Sticky Fingers

Mossie

Is the Pegasus Hobbies Mecury 9 kit any use to you?  It's about 13" high when built, the lower stage will be around 10".  It comes with three rather than four engines that look very Star Trekky Warpy type things.  If you put it on it's side, it looks roughly like your concept.  Leave off a few of details, add some of your own.

http://www.cybermodeler.com/hobby/kits/peg/kit_peg_9103.shtml
http://www.squadron.com/product-p/peg9103.htm

You can sse quite a few of them built with a Google image search, there's one bashed up here that might help you see what can be done with it:
http://www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic,33501.msg525863/highlight,mercury%209.html#msg525863
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Go4fun

Mossie that is so near perfect my jaw hit the floor. Me want! Thank you very much.

Mossie

Glad to be of help!  Let me know what it's like when you get one, I've been toying with the idea of buying one myself since it came out.  I know what it's like to be on a budget and it retails for the equivalent of sixty dollars over here.  I saw one on sale at a show that was more like the US asking price but still turned it down, I've been kicking myself ever since.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

pyro-manic

Sounds interesting - we need more space stuff on here! Can I make one critique of your deck plan? The airlock needs to be bigger. Much bigger. It looks like there's room for maybe one person in there, and a tight fit in a space suit. No good if you need to get several people in or out at any speed - the cycle time for the airlock would mean that people would be stuck. I'd say have one lock and one suit room, rather than trying to have one each side?
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

Devilfish

I do love anything "Trek".  Slowly working on a Section 31 ship myself. 

A few words of advice.  You say your ship will be pre-warp.  Well, as far as I'm aware, in the Trek universe, there was nothing pre-warp. It was WW3 and the ruins there-of.  Zefram Cochrane brought space travel back to the Earth with the invention of the warp drive.

But, ignoring that, as it's a whif, lets focus on what you have.  On Trek ships, the nacelles house the warp engines and glow blue.  These create a warp "bubble" around the ship.
Impulse, or non warp drive is provided by thrust, in the normal way.  These are the engines usually seen on the rear of the saucer section on most Enterprises, and glow red/orange.
Again, I accept that you could have the impulse engines fitted to pods, as this is all that this ship has.  It also keeps them away from the cargo area and in an emergency, means they could be jettisoned.
Also remember, that in this time period, transporter technology didn't exist, so all cargo would have to be manually loaded and unloaded, so make sure the cargo doors are big enough.

Go4fun

Thanks Devilfish. I needed to be clearer obviously. The Princess Diana was built just after Zefram Cochrane  made his historic first warp flight and interest in space was on the rise. So it is basicly a barely Warp 1.5 ship as designed but restricted to non-warp speeds as it was built as a Sol System only freighter. There were still fears about possible consequences of using Warp in a solar system.
The ship opperates into 2211 but updating it to Warp Drive was seen as an unnecessary expense that would cut into the profit margins. They were unneeded for it's purpose.
The ship also used a pre-Impulse technology and while not the most efficent were 'good enough'. Also the ship was designed to pull space barges for faster turn around and only sensitive items were stored on board the actual ship.
Here is the link.
http://www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic,36123.0.html

Go4fun

And a redesign to match what I have available and the time frame.

deathjester

Looking forward to this - BTW, Impulse engines are perfected Ion Drives, as experimented with by NASA right now!  So they would be around in the time frame that your ship is in, just not as refined / powerful as later versions.  Probably also be much larger, and require rather bulkier / more fusion reactors.

Go4fun

"...Like Robinson Cruesso, it's primative as can be"!  ;D I keep finding more to investigate every day. Then I need changes. :banghead:

Go4fun

Okay I got a picture of the Pegasus Mercury 9 rocket then I did a few mods. Like this.

What do you all think?

NARSES2

Works for me, but then I know nowt about modern Sci Fi. Still in the realms of "Skylark" and "Lensman"
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

pyro-manic

Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

Go4fun

More work on the image and cleaned thins up a little.