Moebius BSG gun turrets.

Started by seadude, November 15, 2012, 06:12:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seadude

I recently purchased a Moebius Models Battlestar Galactica starship. The scale is 1/4105. I'm thinking of making it into a WHIF and modifying it as a United States Space Navy (U.S.S.N.) space carrier. I'd like to add a little bit more armament and was wondering what scale of guns to use? I have some 1/700 scale 40mm quads that are "slightly bigger" than the kit's guns. Could that work? Basically, I want to add more anti-aircraft defenses. I might add some planetary bombardment guns turrets and missile launchers, but am not sure what scale to make those.
Modeling isn't just about how good the gluing or painting, etc. looks. It's also about how creative and imaginative you can be with a subject.
My modeling philosophy is: Don't build what everyone else has done. Build instead what nobody has seen or done before.

kerick

I take it you are keeping the scale the ship is alread in. Anything might work. For a spacecraft I would make something look much different than a earth bound ships guns. In space you would be fireing in any direction so a ball turret might look good. For a heavy weapon I always thought launch tube doors like on a missle submarine would be a possibility. For planet attack it wouldn't take much to toss a warhead down a gravity well. Just my $0.02.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

Go4fun

Are you talking projectile or energy guns? Or a combination? I'm with kerrick elsewise.
"Just which planet are you from again"?

rickshaw

If the tech is advance sufficiently, energy weapons would use forcefields to bend the beams in any direction, so a hemisphere would more than likely be sufficient to represent a "turret".

If they are still reliant on projectile weapons then you could use most probably any 1/700 main gun turret.  However, it wouldn't be powder propellant but rather magnetic mass drivers.  So, oversize "barrels" would be required, to accommodate the propulsion rings and the electrics to run them.
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

kerick

Its the same old problem, if you want people to thing the ship is armed you have to give it something that looks like a gun barrel. By the time credible warships are in space the technology will probably look nothing like a battle ship turret. But if you want people to think its a gun you have to make it look like a gun. Imagine the reaction if Admiral Nelson could see a modern cruiser or frigate of today with one gun and verticle launch tubes. He wouldn't recognize it.
Otherwise its up to whatever you think looks cool!
ST and the phaser was the only universe to get away with dodging that issue.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise