B-36J-II 1967

Started by SigfanUSAF, November 16, 2012, 08:00:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SigfanUSAF

I've just finished my first monogram 1/72 B-36, deviating slightly from my strict rule of 1/350th ships or 1/48th aircraft.

Aside from some sanding in the am, she's ready for primer.......

I have two ideas for this beast- the original YB-36 was supposed to fly in Aug44, so possibly the OD/grey of the YB-29? Or push the story line into Vietnam, with the black underbelly and camo top of the B-52s????

kevincallahan

It can sit next to mine, which will be a Bomber Command version in DG/DE over Black. Peacemaker B1. I'm just getting started on the painting this week. Going to need a lot for this beastie... :mellow:
Visit the 72 Land blog at http://72land.blogspot.com/

TallEng

How about heavily weathered OD/Grey, lots of mission markings, 'Vargas girl' artwork :wub: and faded theater markings?
Say after the invasion/battle for Japan (assuming the Atomic bomb was late/not used)

Regards
Keith
The British have raised their security level from "Miffed" to "Peeved". Soon though, security levels may be raised yet again to "Irritated" or even "A Bit Cross". Londoners have not been "A Bit Cross" since the Blitz in 1940 when tea supplies ran out for three weeks

pyro-manic

Air Force One. ;D

Or how about Nasa's "Balls 8" with all the dayglo patches?

Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

Roger the Cabin Boy

Drill windows and add Pan Am decals.   :thumbsup:
The future's so bright, I gotta wear NVGs...

NARSES2

Quote from: TallEng on November 17, 2012, 01:41:28 AM
How about heavily weathered OD/Grey, lots of mission markings, 'Vargas girl' artwork :wub: and faded theater markings?
Say after the invasion/battle for Japan (assuming the Atomic bomb was late/not used)

Regards
Keith

That gets my vote  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

albeback

Quote from: SigfanUSAF on November 16, 2012, 08:00:13 PM
I've just finished my first monogram 1/72 B-36, deviating slightly from my strict rule of 1/350th ships or 1/48th aircraft.

Aside from some sanding in the am, she's ready for primer.......

I have two ideas for this beast- the original YB-36 was supposed to fly in Aug44, so possibly the OD/grey of the YB-29? Or push the story line into Vietnam, with the black underbelly and camo top of the B-52s????

I'm not personally sure of Vietnam but, how about a KOREAN War deployment? Fits in more with the B-36s career span AND,you  could have it in an "experimental" two tone green/tan/matt black camouflage?  There are numerous B-29 Korean War decal options you could use for your model? I have a part built ( part built because I'vo no space !!Lol!!) B-36 and, although undecided, I'm leaning towards an RAF version used to bomb Egyptian targets during the Suez crisis. Bomber Command finish with Suez invasion stripes. Another one I've considered is an RAF machine used in Korea finished in standard Bomber Command Dark Green/Dark Earth/Black

Whatever you choose, it'll be great to see it here ;D. I sometimes wonder how many of these huge models actually DO get finished!!
Allan
Loves JMNs but could never eat a whole one!!

JayBee

OK mine is just the 1/144 model, but it is still fairly big.
Here she is resplendant in post WWII Bomber Command sceme.

http://www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic,23483.0.html

Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!

PR19_Kit

The 1/72 scale B-36 in my Loft would be one of those on the 'not quite finished' list too.

I've been building mine for YEARS now, and the intention was to make a GRB-36 with an RF-84K 'snuggled' (the latest 'in' word in cooking according to Mrs PR19....) into the bomb bay. The Thunderflash has been finished for years, but my efforts on the Big Stick have been foiled by lack of information on the interior of the gun bays. When the RF-84Ks were launched they opened the B-36's gun bays for extra ventilation but didn't deploy the turrets themselves, which meant I'd have to scratchbuild the bays AND the retracted turrets!

However, reading all the comments above I'm seriously considering changing the aircraft's ownership to the RAF and replacing the Thunderflash with an FR10 Hunter, with an anhedral tailplane of course!  ;D

That rather raises the question of is there enough PRU Blue paint in the entire world to paint the B-36 though...........  ;)

As for the original question, I rather like the idea of the '1946' scenario over a still fighting Japan, there's loads of scope for a seriously large Vargas girl on that ginormous nose.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

coolpop6307

You could do it as a wheather bird like the WB-50, seeing that flying in the 50's and 60's would be cool. There is my 2 cents.  ;)

Thanks
  Joshua
"I am a tangerine, and no one can see me"
"Your despicable!!"
"EHHHH Whats up doc?"

kitnut617

Quote from: albeback on November 17, 2012, 02:57:31 AM
Whatever you choose, it'll be great to see it here ;D. I sometimes wonder how many of these huge models actually DO get finished!!
Allan

Umm! well -- right you are -- I've got five of them (the 1/72 scale ones), ones built but needs it's paint re-worked. 

Me and finsrin (Bill) have been discussing a Twin-B-36 to do some time in the future --- I'm going with turbo-props though, XT-35's or XT-37's with contra-props.
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

albeback

Quote from: kitnut617 on November 17, 2012, 06:33:13 AM
Quote from: albeback on November 17, 2012, 02:57:31 AM
Allan

Umm! well -- right you are -- I've got five of them (the 1/72 scale ones), ones built but needs it's paint re-worked. 

Me and finsrin (Bill) have been discussing a Twin-B-36 to do some time in the future --- I'm going with turbo-props though, XT-35's or XT-37's with contra-props.
Lol!! A twin B-36 is WAY too big for me but, I have done a twin Victor - now almost finished!  Has a wingspan of a mere 72 cm!! I might finally get my B-36 finished when I move to my new flat next month! I'll have a whole extra spare bedroom which my very supportive girlfriend has suggested I turn into a model room! ;D. There's motive to this madness - she wson't buy ANY more kits for me until I get some of the existing stash items built & displayed!! How's THAT for encouragement!! :o ;D

Allan

ps - I'd like at least one more B-36!! (1/72)
Loves JMNs but could never eat a whole one!!

SigfanUSAF

I'm leaning more towards the Vietnam paint....the jet pods wouldn't fit well with the WW2 extended time frame......

SigfanUSAF

Also, my original intent was to build a B36 from Loring AFB in the 50's.

I bought the Warbird decals set 72-002 for this, but it appears their "Loring" B36 from the 42d Group are actually for a Fairchild B36 from the 92d?????

The Loring birds never had tail codes as they were delivered in '53 after the USAF was phasing them out.

This is what got me in whif-mode for this!

Mossie

There are drawings of earlier B-36's with Liberator style tail if you were willing to a little more work that might add a little more to the OD scheme.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.