What is the most whiffed kit/design?

Started by philp, November 20, 2012, 07:45:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

philp

Ok, there are some obvious answers to this and after looking at pics from SMW another has jumped into view.

I see a lot of the TSR.2 kits that are in what if schemes, both the 72nd and 48th Airfix kits but I have also seen a lot of the Airfix Angel Interceptor in alternative schemes.  Got me wondering which kit is most whiffed or is it something like a Spitfire or Bf-109?

What do you all think (and pictures to support your premise are highly encouraged)?
Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies

PR19_Kit

You'd better give the Spitfire a class of its own as otherwise The Wooksta's MONUMENTAL Plan will overrun all the other candidates by a factor of ten.  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

FAR148

I can't say that the Rafales and Tigercats are the most whiffed kit but I've seen alot of them. Both the Revell 1/48 Rafale and the 1/48 AMT/ERTL(reboxed Italeri) are great kits.

Here's a few Rafale build I have came across

and a few Tigercats

My 2 cents
Steven L  :cheers:

The Wooksta!

TSR2 or one of the Luftwaffe 46 types most likely.

The completed models in The Plan have now reached three figures - I finished 60 in time for Telford with another 7 since.  in terms of models completed, I think I'm in my most productive year ever.  Ran out of the plastic storage boxes and having to make do with a4 box lids for now.  Which is a shame as I wanted to stick the lids on the bonfire.

Not Telford, but part of the display at Temple Park in June:

Photos courtesy Martin H.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

puddingwrestler

Dunno, but it'd have to be something fairly common. I mean, there have to be a lot of kits of it out there.

And now, a spanner shall be introduced to the works:
You can consider any custom car model, apart from those based on specific real world custom cars, to be whiffs. In which case, there are a HUGE number of customized car models built each year. Some are out-of-box whiffs (the old AMT Trophy series three in one kits, and their many descendants and imitators) all feature numerous parts to customize the car, answering the question 'what if I owned this car? What would I change?'
If you include these as whiffs, then the 1957 Chevy and 1932 Ford must both come in for huge figures.
The numbers get bigger if you decide to include alternate paint. I've never painted a model car in factory authentic paint before. I've gotten close, but never exactly authentic. I suspect a fair number of motor modelers do the same.
There are no good kits, bad kits or grail kits, just kitbash fodder.

philp

Good point Owen, I agree most cars you see built (unless they are depicting a specific racer) are probably whiffs.

I had also forgotten about Luft '46 so the Do335 and Ho229 both would rank high.

And then there is armor.  Lots of Krieg '46 kits, especially of the Maus and E100's and sure there are a few Shermans that get whiffed.

What about ships?  Which ship kit gets whiffed the most?

Hmm, this could be funner than I first anticipated.
Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies

kitbasher

Dunno generally, but I can say that a significant proportion of mine are either based on, or have got bits from, the old Airfix Kittyhawk.  I don't know why, they just have!
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

NARSES2

Quote from: philp on November 21, 2012, 07:21:39 AM
What about ships?  Which ship kit gets whiffed the most?

Bismark or Tirpitz ? If not then one of the Iowa's ?

My personal collection includes a few (and still growing) number of P.39's for some reason
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Martin H

That Israeli Tigercat looks like one of Radish's many builds.
I always hope for the best.
Unfortunately,
experience has taught me to expect the worst.

Size (of the stash) matters.

IPMS (UK) What if? SIG Leader.
IPMS (UK) Project Cancelled SIG Member.

The Wooksta!

Quote from: Martin H on November 24, 2012, 04:18:43 PM
That Israeli Tigercat looks like one of Radish's many builds.

Certainly Tel's style.  Can't remember it but it looks like one of his.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"

The Plan:

Army of One

Wooks......blimey...!!!!

I seen a model build of a whiff Rafale in a model mag.....it was touted as a Kahu II to replace the A4's that New Zealand had.....great camo scheme...

As to most whiffed kit......not got a scooby....!
BODY,BODY....HEAD..!!!!

IF YER HIT, YER DEAD!!!!

The Wooksta!

To be fair, that's the culmination of several years work, although I finished another 60 or so since those photos were taken.

"Visit Scarfolk today!"

The Plan: