Yank '46 Sherman APC

Started by Mike Wren, November 23, 2012, 01:32:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Wren

aluded to in another post is this little project... so, in 1946 half track are obsolete and you need to move your troops round the battlefield with better protection. And, you've got loads of Shermans lying about after being replaced by M26 Pershings. So the Shermans get rebuilt with the engines moved forwars and a big box on the back. Obviously this hull can then be used as an ambulance, mortar carrier etc...

Base kit is a Dragon M4A3 HVSS, the one in the background is a card model test I did using a dragon pre-built. I have been thinking of doing an earlier variant based on VVSS tracks, and widening the rear hull 'box' on this later one out to the width of the HVSS track guards to make more internal space.

Finally I'm hoping to cast them in resin so I can produce a few variations, plus lend-lease Allied ones etc...

The pics aren't great as they were taken in a rush as the flash has washed out the plastic card as usual  :banghead:   :tank:

NARSES2

You can see this soldiering on in many forms with some armies through to the present day  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Mike Wren

Quote from: NARSES2 on November 23, 2012, 08:03:00 AM
You can see this soldiering on in many forms with some armies through to the present day  :thumbsup:

yeah, I did basically nick the idea off the Israelis...

chrisonord

This looks interesting Mike, I will be watching how you go about this one as I have a few ideas for some converted soviet stuff I would like to do for my Cartel armour builds. It would be easier I dare say to scratch build something like this than build one of ACE's BMP-1 APC's :rolleyes:
Cheers
Chris.
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

Mike Wren

Quote from: chrisonord on November 25, 2012, 08:08:16 AM
It would be easier I dare say to scratch build something like this than build one of ACE's BMP-1 APC's :rolleyes:

;D I dare say it would!

Army of One

Will it get weapons on top....?? Maybe a prototype one man turret with a 20/30mm aircraft cannon......??
BODY,BODY....HEAD..!!!!

IF YER HIT, YER DEAD!!!!

Mike Wren

Quote from: Army of One on December 03, 2012, 12:09:41 PM
Will it get weapons on top....?? Maybe a prototype one man turret with a 20/30mm aircraft cannon......??

I'm planning on a standard 50 cal for the early version, with the later one getting the T122 gun mount cupola with twin external 30 or 50 cals, but I was thinking of having an early tank destroyer version with twin bazookas too...  ;D

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Cliffy B

"Helos don't fly.  They vibrate so violently that the ground rejects them."
-Tom Clancy

"Radial's Growl, Inline's Purr, Jet's Suck!"
-Anonymous

"If all else fails, call in an air strike."
-Anonymous

Rheged

"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

NARSES2

Quote from: Rheged on December 05, 2012, 08:28:20 AM
Quote from: Cliffy B on December 05, 2012, 07:43:14 AM
Quote from: NARSES2 on December 05, 2012, 07:36:19 AM
Or recoiless rifles ?

ONTOS!  :mellow:

To a classical Greek user, ONTOS  translates as "REVOLTING THING"

You learn something new every day  :thumbsup:

Always liked the Ontos - have fond memories of the old Revell 1/48th scale kit. Had a good Boxing day with that one

rickshaw

Or recoiless rifles ?

Interesting.  I'd always seen it translated as simply "thing".   "Revolting thing" seems just so much more apt for the M-50.  ;D
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

Rheged

Quote from: rickshaw on December 09, 2012, 11:54:59 PM
Or recoiless rifles ?

Interesting.  I'd always seen it translated as simply "thing".   "Revolting thing" seems just so much more apt for the M-50.  ;D

The Greeks in classical times were very keen on defining things, so to have a word meaning simply "THAT THING"  means (according to my classics master 46 years ago)  that they chose not to define it.....therefore, by implication,  the item  under discussion was too revolting to require a special word.  Hence, REVOLTING THING.

Looking at the M-50, I'd agree with you that they probably had a point!!
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

dekybomber

Captain Canada

Sorry I almost missed this one....awesome ! I need to gran myself some little 72nd scale Shermans. What a machine. But I like the look of the square back better than the angled version, just looks more utilitarian to me.

:wub:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?