P39D v Hurricane Mk I

Started by Army of One, November 25, 2012, 12:33:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Army of One

Wooks.....I read about that.....one mission apparently that was a strafing mission in France.....then they were rejected....one interesting fact I found was the RAF ordered oxygen mask to be worn from engine start up until engine shut off due to fumes, from the engine mounted cannon when fired, that were apparently enough to render the pilot unconscious....deemed dangerous....Russians didn't seem to think so....
BODY,BODY....HEAD..!!!!

IF YER HIT, YER DEAD!!!!

rickshaw

Low down, the P-39 was considered one of the fastest of the USAAFs fighters in the early part of the war.   Apparently not much could catch then on either side.  There wasn't much wrong with the P-400 which a bit of care and attention wouldn't have fixed as far as the Carbon-Monoxide fumes in the cabin.  Better sealing around the front and rear bulkheads was what was needed.   Problem was no one was prepared to expend even that amount of time on them, although it's interesting I've never read of any problems with them in the Pacific in that regard.   Eric "Winkle" Brown quite liked the one he flew as a "hack" until they condemned it.  
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

Weaver

Maybe it had something to do with the fact that the RAF ones had a fast-firing 20mm instead of the 37mm normally fitted? Sure the 37mm cartirdges were bigger, but I wonder if the fast firing rate of the Hispano caused fumes to build up faster than they could be cleared?
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

The Wooksta!

IIRC, Brian Derbyshire did an article in the SIG newsletter some years back RAF ones in the desert fitted with Vickers S guns in place of the 37mm cannon and used as tank busters with 6 Sqn.  

I've a Hobbyboss one somewhere part painted that I was going to do as an RAF desert one, mainly to use it up as I'd bought it to get the decals from it (the red stars) to use as kill markings.  Extreme?  Perhaps but when you see the price of the kill markings decal sheet that Fantasy Printshop do, it seems like a bargain.  And I get a free kit to do as well.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

Army of One

Right.....def going to be a low level fighter.....I'll choose of of the non Spit/Hurri options on the sheet I'm getting....think there are some Gladiator n Defiant options on it....although I could always say a Hurri sqn changed to the P39 for the purpose described.....
BODY,BODY....HEAD..!!!!

IF YER HIT, YER DEAD!!!!

The Wooksta!

I'd go with one of the Gladiator squadrons being hurriedly re-equipped - Defiants were switched to night operations, although using them as bomber destroyers over London out of range of the 109s would have made more sense. 

Alternatively, give them to one of the Polish or Czech squadrons working up.  Makes more sense to have them training on the P.39 from the off.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"

The Plan:

NARSES2

Sounds a good idea Hank, look forward to seeing it.

Built an RAF Desert AF "tank buster" a few years ago. It's on one of my P-39 postings. Got a fair few P-39's as I like the aircraft and the Academy kit. Not buit a BoB one though
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Army of One

MZ are selling the Airfix P39Q for £2.99....

Wooks....good idea re the Polish sqn....I'll see what decals I end up with.....I might even have some 1/144 markings of a Mig or something in the decal stash....
BODY,BODY....HEAD..!!!!

IF YER HIT, YER DEAD!!!!

The Wooksta!

Use the Polish checquerboard in the Airfix Spit Mk IX.  The desert option is the Polish Fighting Team.

"Visit Scarfolk today!"

The Plan:

Army of One

Wooks......not got any of those kits, I'll have a look in some of my other kits....I'm sure a got Revell P51B that has some in....I'll look at my other WW2 stuff as wel.....
BODY,BODY....HEAD..!!!!

IF YER HIT, YER DEAD!!!!

rickshaw

Quote from: Weaver on November 26, 2012, 04:10:03 AM
Maybe it had something to do with the fact that the RAF ones had a fast-firing 20mm instead of the 37mm normally fitted? Sure the 37mm cartirdges were bigger, but I wonder if the fast firing rate of the Hispano caused fumes to build up faster than they could be cleared?

So did the P-400s used in Australia and on Guadalcanal.  I've read no reports about fumes in the cockpit preventing their use (I though it was from the engine, not the guns?).   I suspect the RAF just wanted to be shot of them, perhaps a problem of too many different types and any excuse was good enough to get rid of them?
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

NARSES2

Quote from: The Wooksta! on November 26, 2012, 08:28:23 AM
Use the Polish checquerboard in the Airfix Spit Mk IX.  The desert option is the Polish Fighting Team.

Hi Hank If you need this let me know. I've an unused one so can always stick it in the post

Chris
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Army of One

Chris....that would be awesome.....that's one a/c outta the way....doing a pair in flying mode chasing down an as yet un decided German type....probably a plane in the stash already.....Stuka or Me109/110 spring to mind....think they are more appropriate unless they wait for damaged bombers trying to escape at lower level.....but don't have any early German bombers....
BODY,BODY....HEAD..!!!!

IF YER HIT, YER DEAD!!!!

The Wooksta!

Hank, PM me your address.  I've a slew of Airfix IX decals that I have spare. 

"Visit Scarfolk today!"

The Plan:

Army of One

BODY,BODY....HEAD..!!!!

IF YER HIT, YER DEAD!!!!