Matchstick Fleet!!!

Started by Pirate Pete, November 25, 2012, 02:21:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pirate Pete

Not the usual modellers medium for here....
- The text below is from the original 'article'.....

If the Argentines start to get arsey about the Falklands, they'll find out that the UK & US navies are more than a match for them  It has taken Britain's one remaining shipyard worker 62 years to build this incredible fleet of 432 ships and 1200 aircraft, all built entirely of matchsticks and their wooden boxes. The combined fleet comprises 370  U.S. and 60 British ships and their associated aircraft.
Now 79 years of age, our man commenced work by creating his first boat in 1948 when he was 17. He uses a razor blade, tweezers, sandpaper and glue. He has used more than 650,000 matchsticks to create this amazing flotilla.

Truly awesome - once again we rule the waves.

http://s294.beta.photobucket.com/user/pfmatthews/library/Matchstick%20Fleet#
Seek and you shall find.

PR19_Kit

Oh yes, I've seen Phil Warren's matchstick fleet numerous times at various model boat regattas around the UK, although he never has enough room to show the whole fleet these days.

He still has the very first model he built for the fleet and usually has a couple of his current builds on show. He really does use matchsticks and the outside of the boxes for flat surfaces, although it's becoming increasingly difficult for him the find the latter as they are no longer made in UK and he has to import them from Asia I think.

His carriers all have an air group aboard and his matchstick F-14s have to be seen to be believed! Yes, the wings do sweep in conjunction with each other!!!!  :o
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.