737 on ice, shaken not stirred- finished- more pics

Started by sandiego89, December 07, 2012, 05:02:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sandiego89

Real world:  Operators asked Boeing if the 737 could operate from gravel strips to support remote field operations such as oil exploration sites. Several operators in Alaska and Canada used gravel kit modifications which included among other things a deflector mounted to the nose wheel and bleed air blowing debris away from the front of the engine.  Even with these modification, foreign object damage was still a concern, and required carefull grooming of the airfield.  

WHIF: A northern operator undertook a more extreme modification to undertake operations from even less prepared surfaces, including gravel, dirt and ice fields.

The kit- 1/44 Airfix 737-200.  

Cargo door mod- combi configuration.  

scratch cargo floor from strip styrene. Forward windows blanked.

Primer on.
Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

scooter

The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

PR19_Kit

Ah yes, Fotocut did a brass fret for that gravel kit for the 737-200, I have a couple of them squirrelled away somewhere.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

nighthunter

This I want to see, also, there is an Airfix 1/144 737-200? Sweet! I can mod it to be AEW
"Mind that bus." "What bus?" *SPLAT!*

rickshaw

How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: nighthunter on December 08, 2012, 12:16:26 AM
..... also, there is an Airfix 1/144 737-200?

Blimey, I should think so! It's one of their earlier 1/144 airliners and the one that got me into airliner modelling in 1972!
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

kitnut617

Nice project sandiego, I've been on one of those 'gravel strip' converted 737's and saw all those conversions they do to them.  It was when I was designing some equipment for a test-bore drilling outfit who were operating at a diamond mine up near the arctic circle, they flew me up there so I could do some measuring, take some pics etc.  When I was told I was going to a diamond mine up there I had visions of going in on a bush plane or something like that, imagine my surprise when we all trooped onto a 737 and then landing on a gravel strip.  The mine BTW, had a population of 2500 at any one time, worked 24-7 and workers were constantly being flown in and out as their '12 day on - 12 day off' cycles were implemented.

I also saw quite a few 'freighter' 737's being loaded with all sorts of stuff --
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

PR19_Kit

Were the cargo 737s fitted with the gravel kits too Robert? That'd make a good variant to build. And can you remember which airline operated them if so?

Regards
Kit

kitnut617

Yep! the ones that were loading up next to the hanger where I was waiting for my ride had them, even the hangers aprons where I was had gravel (this is in Yellowknife).  Here's a good link:

http://flickrhivemind.net/Tags/gravelkit/Timeline

The airline I went into the diamond mine on was Canadian North and First Air also freighted stuff on the 737.  There was a couple of them shuttling back and forth to somewhere close by as they only took a couple of hours to return.  Once the ice road is closed, the only way to get in and out and about up there is by air.

PR19_Kit

Cracking piccies there Robert, thanks very much.

I LOVE that Canadian North scheme, and with that side-on piccie I can see one of them in my 1/144 scale future.  ;D

Regards
Kit

kitnut617

Airline Hobby Supplies do a sheet for a Canadian North 737 in 1/144 Kit.

http://www.airline-hobby.com/shop/index.cfm

Edit:  D'oh!  it doesn't go to the page, do a search for Canadian North and it should come up

PR19_Kit

Sadly not any more it seems, a pity.

Regards
Kit

kitnut617

Sorry about that Kit, they appeared available when I had a look on the website.

PR19_Kit

NP Robert, that first photo will probably give me enough to go on for a decal sheet of my own.

Regards
Kit

pyro-manic

I'm going to guess over-wing engines and skis...
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<