Machinen Krieger pilot, 1/20, Hasegawa

Started by Sticky Fingers, December 11, 2012, 03:29:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sticky Fingers

My fist ever figure bigger than 1:35! Just trying to figure out how to paint a face, how to make a bit of plastic look like a convincing leather jacket etc. I know there's a whole heap of how-to's on the interweb regarding just that, but I want to try and get my own style. Most how-to's are biased towards oil-paint anyway (and for good reason because they blend a lot easier), and I want to use my limited (which is either a handicap or a challenge, maybe both) Vallejo stash.
It's very difficult, this figure painting! A lot of fun too, thankfully :)

The Figure.
This dude comes from the "Figure Set A", or to give it it's full name:
Figure set A, mercenary troops'arms cold district maintenance soldiers

I used the standing pilot, with the sitting pilot's left arm, and the mechanics left hand. I angled that hand a bit by inserting a bit of paperclip wire so now it will look like he's showing his watch, telling someone else to get a move-on. Probably that mechanic. poor bloke. With his one hand. ;D
I also modified the pilotcap somewhat...

The pictures

Needs more work...

And the coat has its base layer and first shadow. Also no highlights yet and ofcourse no detail painting yet either.

Helpful criticisms most welcome!

NARSES2

If that's your first attempt at a face then I can't wait to see the second  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Sticky Fingers

Haha! Actually what you see here is my second attempt: I wasn't pleased at all with the first result (no pictures of that, I'm afraid) so I removed the paint and started again :smiley:
But thanks, I'm really enjoying this change of techniques!

Progress since first post:

The head and the body have been united:

On the head, I went back to the eyebrows. A bit less Nigel Mansell would suit him better. I also blended the skincolours a bit further.
The jacket has received shadows and highlights. Details have been painted, like the badge I added, the zip and the buttons on his pockets.

So, logically downwards and onwards: the next step is them trousers!
Here in base colour:

And with shadows blended in:

Thanks for looking. :smiley:

Go4fun

Quote from: Sticky Fingers on December 11, 2012, 03:29:11 PM
My fist ever figure bigger than 1:35! Just trying to figure out how to paint a face, how to make a bit of plastic look like a convincing leather jacket etc. I know there's a whole heap of how-to's on the interweb regarding just that, but I want to try and get my own style. Most how-to's are biased towards oil-paint anyway (and for good reason because they blend a lot easier), and I want to use my limited (which is either a handicap or a challenge, maybe both) Vallejo stash.
It's very difficult, this figure painting! A lot of fun too, thankfully :)

The Figure.
This dude comes from the "Figure Set A", or to give it it's full name:
Figure set A, mercenary troops'arms cold district maintenance soldiers

I used the standing pilot, with the sitting pilot's left arm, and the mechanics left hand. I angled that hand a bit by inserting a bit of paperclip wire so now it will look like he's showing his watch, telling someone else to get a move-on. Probably that mechanic. poor bloke. With his one hand. ;D
I also modified the pilotcap somewhat...

The pictures

Needs more work...

And the coat has its base layer and first shadow. Also no highlights yet and ofcourse no detail painting yet either.

Helpful criticisms most welcome!

Except for the creep factor if a head on a stick it's looks like a fine effort. and the second set of pictures is really nice.
"Just which planet are you from again"?

Sticky Fingers

Quote from: Go4fun on December 12, 2012, 06:30:22 PMhead on a stick
Not half as disturbing as brushpainting shadows on someone's crotch, lemme tell ya! ;D

NARSES2

Quote from: Sticky Fingers on December 13, 2012, 02:19:42 AM
Quote from: Go4fun on December 12, 2012, 06:30:22 PMhead on a stick
Not half as disturbing as brushpainting shadows on someone's crotch, lemme tell ya! ;D

;D ;D

I like the way the face fits the pose. It's quite a relaxed pose and he looks fairly relaxed as well - well done  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

MichelC

Hey, that looks great!

I find figure painting daunting but I know I'll take the plunge one day, not so far off I hope.  ;)

I dream of building a dio of the Falke with its crew. BTW, where's the sexy mechanic and the even sexier female pilot holding a helmet? Are U going to do those too? :wub:

Michel

Sticky Fingers

Thanks for the compliments guys!

Figure is finished.
I made a simple base for him to stand on:

And the finished item::

Got a taste for more now ;D !!

Rheged

Most impressive!!  But I was  slightly concerned by the "head on a stake"   That was a bit mediaeval.
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

Sticky Fingers

Thanks gents  :thumbsup:, I'll post some better pics when/if I get some propper lighting.

Army of One

Some awesome modelling and paint skills there...... :thumbsup:
BODY,BODY....HEAD..!!!!

IF YER HIT, YER DEAD!!!!