Someone is building that airship battleship we all have seen.

Started by philp, December 15, 2012, 08:52:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

philp

Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies

rickshaw

How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

Cliffy B

"Helos don't fly.  They vibrate so violently that the ground rejects them."
-Tom Clancy

"Radial's Growl, Inline's Purr, Jet's Suck!"
-Anonymous

"If all else fails, call in an air strike."
-Anonymous

Cobra

Holly Jules verne,Batman :o This is Too Cool! Agree this Guy Should Get a Gold Plated Invite :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: This is Something You'd Find in Either a Jules Verne Novel,or Something from Space 1889! Dan

Geoff

Spey_Phantom

i am amazed, that has got to be the most awesome airship ive seen in ages  :wub:
on the bench:

-all kinds of things.

Madoc

Folks,

That illustration is actually from the "Leviathans" game system / universe.  It's a steampunk thing that posits this as its change point:

QuoteIn 1878 the Polish genius Rynchowski isolated an electrical fluid with remarkable lifting capabilities. A single, pivotal event that would change the world.

The smartest military minds of the coming generation—Zeppelin, Jellico, Fisher and others—diverted their attention to the glorious new technological revolution and sea-going battleships were abandoned around the world. In their place, armored giants took to the skies.

In 1906, Great Britain launched the HMS Leviathan, the first of the "super air ships", sparking an arms race around the world. By 1910 the most powerful nations boasted large High Fleets, and the start of small skirmishes left the world uneasy...welcome to Leviathans!

So, they're not "airships" in the traditional sense - i.e. fabric / impermeable membrane covered structures filled with lighter than air gas in order to derive their lifting force.  Instead, the volume of the lifting gas is vastly smaller and contained in metal tanks.  The lifting force is created via the current applied.  So, the power systems for such craft remain entirely conventional.  And the structure of such craft is equivalent to the sea going vessels of the day.  Due to the size and weight of this electrified fluid system, small things such as aeroplanes have yet to make their entry into the world.  Instead, bigger works better and its all steel and steam powered.

And it's also all "full speed ahead imperialism" going on with no "entente cordiale" between France and the UK.  They've developed quite the interesting gaming system and their "leviathans" are quite intriguing as well.  Personally, I think leaving the tankage for your lifting fluid so exposed on the outside of your armored hulls to be a rather shortsighted design element.  But, the folks who created the whole thing must've wanted some obvious visual cue that these weren't simply ocean going ships suddenly aloft.

In any event, the gaming system's universe is hella cool.  And the model creation cited here is even more so!
Wherever you go, there you are!

kerick

There had to be more to it than helium or hydrogen. Like the idea.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

Mossie

Love the finish he's done on it, not the usual copper and bronze you see on most steampunk builds. :wub:
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Weaver

"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Rheged

Quote from: kerick on December 17, 2012, 08:36:43 PM
There had to be more to it than helium or hydrogen. Like the idea.

So do I!   I had wondered if SPACE 1889  "liftwood"  might be involved.   Come to think of it, this genre  could be a worthwhile souce of whiff  ideas.  Many of you are probably already aware of this material.

http://mateengreenway.com/steampunk/Space1889UK.htm

The other thing to Google is "THE TRANSACTIONS OF THE ROYAL MARTIAN GEOGRAPHICAL SOCIETY". 

As a Fellow of the earthbound Royal Geographical Society,I'm told that I have reciprocal fellowship  with this organisation.   If any of you make it to Syrtis Major, perhaps you could check that for me?
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

Go4fun

hhh One question please? What about propulsion and steering?  :-\
"Just which planet are you from again"?

Mossie

Scroll about a third of the way down the page, there's three screws and control surfaces on the fins.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.