The "Shack Pack"(4 models built with with leftover Shackelton propellers)

Started by CSMO, December 16, 2012, 06:24:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CSMO

Hi, folks, My name is Larry Schmidt, and I am a first time poster.  I am a retired U.S. Army officer and am retired from the U.S. Postal Service.   These are my latest "What-ifs", based on adding contra-rotating propeller units to existing airframes. The propellers came from a scrapped 30-year old FROG Shackelton build. I have posted these with their backstory on Hyperscale's Airfix Classic British Kits Forum and the Retro & Nostalgia Scale Modeling Forum, where I usually hang out.  I am honored to have been allowed to join such a talented group of modelers. So here are a few of my humble efforts.

"Field Artillery brings dignity to what otherwise would be merely a vulgar brawl."

Dizzyfugu

The contraprop Tempest in PRU blue looks REALLY SEXY! Well done (all of them)  :wub:

Rheged

Most impressive!!  Whiffworld has acquired  another worthy citizen.
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

Go4fun

Welcome to the front Larry. Our mission statement is to overcome the forces of sanity and the JMN, (Joyless Modeling Numbties) and cause major consternation at model shows
I love your builds and look forward to seeing more of your great works here.
"Just which planet are you from again"?

PR19_Kit

Outstanding Larry, and all that with just five kits!  :thumbsup: :bow:

The question of the hour is though, what are you going to do with the prop-less Shackleton? It'll surely look crazy with the single props donated from your four others here.

And that's whatr I call a Grand Entrance too!  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

The Wooksta!

As the person who coined the phrase, JMN stands for Joyless Modelling Numpty.  Nazi is way too strong for application to modellers and risks dumbing down the term.  A dumbing down of evil if you like.

Rant over.

The Sea Fury is nearly real as it was considered for a contraprop.

The only thing I'd suggest to improve them is a matt varnish and both the Tempest II and Fury need a polished aluminium panel just aft of the exhausts.  This was always kept highly polished as if there was owt wrong with the engine, it would show in the exhaust gas residue.

Hmmn, may just have to steal that Tempest II idea but put a bit of a slightly different spin on it.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

kitbasher

What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

loupgarou

Very interesting!
But now you HAVE to do something with that poor Shack.
Maybe some jet engines à la Avro Ashton? It would look nice.
Owing to the current financial difficulties, the light at the end of the tunnel will be turned off until further notice.

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

CSMO

Hi, folks. Thanks for the kind words.

A little bit about me and how I model. I build for me and for my enjoyment. I am resistant to Advanced Modeler's Syndrome. Everybody has their own way of doing their hobby and I appreciate everybody's work. But I like the Retro & Nostalgia Scale Modeling site because nobody gets judgemental over fooling around with "old and crappy"(not my words, I love the old and crappy kits). What I see there and here is the results of people who can REALLY model.

I brush-paint only. I started building a collection in 1962. All there was back then was gloss paints, for the most part. Because my early models are gloss, I have elected that method of presentation for all of my 1/72 models. I don't own an airbrush and don't like rattle-cans. As my models are on open display, it makes keeping them clean a whole lot easier. I now use a lot of Humbrol and Xtracolor paints. Johnson's Klear is my friend as it makes decalling a whole lot less hassle.

The Matchbox Tempest II is an armed photo recon bird used to patrol the air corridor during the Soviet blockade of Berlin during the Airlift. The Air Lines(FROG repop) Sea Fury is an operational type , designed as a Combat Air patrol interceptor and as top cover for the FB.11s. The  Airfix(Heller repop)Tempest Mk.V and  Airfix Firefly are engineering prototypes to test the feasibility of contra-rotatig propellers having better performance than the standard four-blade units.

I have furnished a shot of my dedicated model display room in my basement. I have a HEPA filter on my heating and cooling system and have rigged additional filters in the model room's air ducts. Dust is only a minor problem as my entire basement has no carpeting, only vinyl floors(no carpet monster).

By the way, the rest of the Shackelton is in the landfill outside of town. I saved the wheels and struts and the cockpit parts, as well as the propellers, because you never know when they will come in handy.

Adios, Larry.

"Field Artillery brings dignity to what otherwise would be merely a vulgar brawl."

sandiego89

Now THAT is a display room!  Mrs. CSMO must be very understanding.  Think you will like it here- long live cr@ppy kits! Welcome
Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

Doc Yo

Sweet mother of pearl! Thats a collection! Welcome to the fun, Sir - fine job on the whiffs!

Rheged

Quote from: loupgarou on December 17, 2012, 06:10:54 AM
Very interesting!
But now you HAVE to do something with that poor Shack.
Maybe some jet engines à la Avro Ashton? It would look nice.

Now there's a thought.....a 4 Nene  Shackleton.......or possibly a  Lincoln......or even a jet York!             
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

JayBee

Well Larry,

that is one HeII of a way to introduce yourself. While there are those out there who would revile what you do as madness we understand and welcome you with open arms.

Right what have you got to show us next? :rolleyes:

Jim
Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!