The "Shack Pack"(4 models built with with leftover Shackelton propellers)

Started by CSMO, December 16, 2012, 06:24:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martin H

Quote from: CSMO on December 17, 2012, 08:07:16 AM
A little bit about me and how I model. I build for me and for my enjoyment. I am resistant to Advanced Modeler's Syndrome. Everybody has their own way of doing their hobby and I appreciate everybody's work. But I like the Retro & Nostalgia Scale Modeling site because nobody gets judgemental over fooling around with "old and crappy"(not my words, I love the old and crappy kits). What I see there and here is the results of people who can REALLY model.

With sentiments like that, You are going to fit in perfectly here. Welcome to our little home ;D
I always hope for the best.
Unfortunately,
experience has taught me to expect the worst.

Size (of the stash) matters.

IPMS (UK) What if? SIG Leader.
IPMS (UK) Project Cancelled SIG Member.

Glenn Gilbertson

Welcome aboard! I hope you have fun here. An impressive foursome of models. :thumbsup:

Dizzyfugu

Inspiring stuff - just in time to spawn a high altitude Tempest conversion. I have Matchbox kit somewhere, and now I got an idea waht to make of it...  :wacko:

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

McColm

A jet powered Shackleton could be possible, I just found another site where I can get a Frog kit apart from eBay.

The Wooksta!

Similar installation to an Ashton?  May have to consider that myself as I'd like to strip the engines out for a Griffon Lincoln project.

I'd be interested to see the prices for Shackletons, given that they seem to be fluctuating wildly.  There were four in the kitswap at Telford and all different prices.  The cheapest was £15, the most expensive £40, although that was a genuine boxed Frog one.  Some numpty wanted 25 notes for a bagged Eastern Express one.  Cheeky bezzum...

However, it may be worth contacting Aeroclub direct as John Adams may have some Shackleton props left.

Have to confess I've been looking at some of the part started and unfinished Tempests and thinking contraprop.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

Faust

Awesome, just plain awesome!

Well done on the Whiffs and nice display indeed!

I agree with the sentiment of causing JMNs (I thought it was Joyless Modelling Nazis?) to have minor coronaries and to show those the world over that imagination is still a part of modelling!

Welcome aboard!

The Wooksta!

I coined the term first and I'm the one to change it, for precisely the reasons outlined in my earlier post.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"

The Plan:

Go4fun

Quote from: The Wooksta! on December 17, 2012, 05:05:42 AM
As the person who coined the phrase, JMN stands for Joyless Modelling Numpty.  Nazi is way too strong for application to modellers and risks dumbing down the term.  A dumbing down of evil if you like.

Rant over.

The Sea Fury is nearly real as it was considered for a contraprop.

The only thing I'd suggest to improve them is a matt varnish and both the Tempest II and Fury need a polished aluminium panel just aft of the exhausts.  This was always kept highly polished as if there was owt wrong with the engine, it would show in the exhaust gas residue.

Hmmn, may just have to steal that Tempest II idea but put a bit of a slightly different spin on it.
Corrected.
"Just which planet are you from again"?

CANSO

Quote from: The Wooksta! on December 18, 2012, 08:21:34 AMI'd be interested to see the prices for Shackletons, given that they seem to be fluctuating wildly.  There were four in the kitswap at Telford and all different prices.  The cheapest was £15, the most expensive £40, although that was a genuine boxed Frog one...
Check this offer - one doesn't offer 6 kits of this particular a/c so often. ;)

McColm

The Wooksta!

They don't look cheap for a UK buyer.  £25 plus postage?

TBH, Shackletons are not difficult to find. Cheap ones are thin on the ground though and ebay is no indicator of prices.

"Visit Scarfolk today!"

The Plan:

CANSO

Quote from: The Wooksta! on December 19, 2012, 02:48:17 AM
They don't look cheap for a UK buyer.  £25 plus postage?
TBH, Shackletons are not difficult to find. Cheap ones are thin on the ground though and ebay is no indicator of prices.
This BTW was one of the lowest prices PER MODEL incl. postage to UK for a "Shack" I have ever seen (ca. $15 per piece in case no boxes are needed ;)).
Evilbay is in no way a price indicator, but bulk sales (like the mentioned) incl. shipping are mostly cheaper per piece, compared to a single kit with less shipping costs.

kitnut617

Some years ago (6-8 ish, can't remember exactly), Hannants had a stock of bagged-no-decals-or-instructions Shack's for sale at GBP8.00 each.  I bought a box load --- and no they're not for sale.
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

Army of One

WOW.....!!! :o That is some collection.....!!! Four great models there......love them.....!!! Still can't get over your collection pic.....thanks for sharing.....
BODY,BODY....HEAD..!!!!

IF YER HIT, YER DEAD!!!!