North Vietnamese colour scheme......

Started by Army of One, December 18, 2012, 02:40:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Army of One

Dear all......what colour scheme would chaps/chapess's recommend for a twin engines prop plane in use by the North Vietnamese AF as a Spad/Sandy/Jolly Green Giant hunter and probably also a FAC killer......???
I was thinking of light blue undersides with a two tone green upper side, maybe dark green with light green blotches......similar to a Mig 17.....any ideas welcomed......many thanks....H
BODY,BODY....HEAD..!!!!

IF YER HIT, YER DEAD!!!!

rickshaw

How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

Army of One

That's awesome....but no working airbrush might make it hard......I had seen pics of one in a dark green with light green 'spots' on it.....might get away with dabbing the lighter green on it with a large cotton bud......
BODY,BODY....HEAD..!!!!

IF YER HIT, YER DEAD!!!!

Army of One

BODY,BODY....HEAD..!!!!

IF YER HIT, YER DEAD!!!!

Mossie

Hank, have a look through Wings Palette.  Click on the aircraft titles under the North Vietnam label on the right, then on the page number
http://wp.scn.ru/en/cat/wars/ww3/65

There's some that roughly match your description:

Here's a few that I just think might look good, two variations of camouflage on NMF/Silver and a two tone blue.

I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Army of One

Mossie......many thanks......I've seen some of those in the Osprey combat a/c 25, Mig17/19 units of the vietnam war......I've certainly got a couple of favourites....
BODY,BODY....HEAD..!!!!

IF YER HIT, YER DEAD!!!!

NARSES2

How about all over jungle green ? Then it could zoom up from just above the tree canopy and attack the aircraft from below ?
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Mossie

That's more or less the intention of the forth profile I posted Chris, although it was to hide in the trees rather than above them.  The blurb with the profile called it 'snake green', because there were no shelters at the airfiled they were hidden under trees.
http://wp.scn.ru/en/ww3/f/12/55/0
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Dizzyfugu

AFAIK, many Vietnamese aircraft from the USSR came in bare metal and were camouflaged by hand and in the front line (esp. the fighters which were used in low level flight, while some were kept in bare metal as bait for USAF crews!) . Many sketches and profiles you see are rather idealized - the "real aircraft" looked rather ratty and not uniform in any way. You can IMHO even use a brush on purpose to achieve this special look, I would not worry too much.

Army of One

Quote from: NARSES2 on December 19, 2012, 07:01:46 AM
How about all over jungle green ? Then it could zoom up from just above the tree canopy and attack the aircraft from below ?

A sort of wrap around camo scheme.....?? Yeah......I'm liking that..... :thumbsup:
BODY,BODY....HEAD..!!!!

IF YER HIT, YER DEAD!!!!