1/72 Airfix Saunders-Roe Skyrocket F.Mk.2 built from the S.R.53 kit.

Started by CSMO, December 23, 2012, 08:43:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CSMO

I started with an e-Bay find. It is an MPC release of the Airfix kit from the late '60s. The molds originated in 1958.

This build is to reflect the purchase of the Skyrocket F.Mk.2 as a point-defense interceptor to back up the E.E. Lightning. The markings are early 1980s. As the Firestreak and Red Top missles had a protracted development and a poor reliability record, the MoD mandated that the RAF purchase Sparrows and Sidewinders from the U.S..These missles had been proven in the skies over Vietnam. The inclusion or a powerful limited- scan targeting radar necessitated the redesign of the nosewheel well from the research prototype  to retract rearwards. Operational requirements dictated the need for additional fuel tankage. The ventral tank idea was borrowed from the Lightning.

To build this one, I fabricated from plastic card the nosewheel well, intake trunking,cockpit tub, bulkheads, instrument panel coaming, and a nosewheel door. I fashioned the turbojet and rocket exhausts from Contrail tube stock. The missles, launch rails, pylons, mainwheels, ejection seat, and ventral fuel tank came from Mr. Scrap-box, as did the decals. The pitot was cut down from the kit's instrument probe. The MPC decal serial #s were crap, so I substituted serial #s from an old Harrier sheet.

The ten-year old molding was already in sad shape when it was pressed over 40 years ago. The trenches(which I think were the handiwork of a pre-pubescent Matchbox trench-digger) needed de-emphasising and  some rescribing was needed. Seams were filled with superglue and Micro Krystal-Klear. A ton of flash was removed. The trickiest part of the build for me was putting the Scalemaster stripes on the missles. The striping reflects the markings on the missles in use at the time. The model was brushpainted freehand with Xtracolor Dark Green and Dark Sea Gray, over Testors square-bottle Silver, with Humbrol Aluminum for the wheelwells. Photography done via my wife's Sony digital camera(workbench) and my iPhone(cabinet).

Adios, Larry.
"Field Artillery brings dignity to what otherwise would be merely a vulgar brawl."

Hobbes

PR19_Kit

I do like that, oh yes!  :thumbsup: :bow:

The placement of the Sparrows is inspired, love the way they're waaaaay out there!
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

That is nice and I particularly like the use of the ventral tank  :thumbsup:

She's an old kit but your hard work has definately been rewarded
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

darthspud

Looks good to me and almost a real world interceptor.
Does make me wonder how the U.K. aero industry might have developed had Comrade Healey etc. not butchered it so effectively.
too old for a paper round, too young for me pensions, dammit, back to work then!

The Wooksta!

Nice.  I like it.

When compaed to the Barrie Hygate plans, that kit is pretty much bang on the money in terms of shape.  It's just the detail that's so crude.

Tip: the plastic guards for disposable razors make handy nosegear bays.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

kitbasher

I' love an SR53 kit.  The Freightdog one I think deserves to be treated with respect and built real-world, but a cheap Airfix or copy would be ideal for whiffing (a Polish company produced copies a while ago according to internet sources, and there's a Czech copy I've just seen on e-Bay) .  And yes, I'm sure a cheap Airfix original would be rarer than rocking horse wotsit.
Too late to get a note to Santa now, though!
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

The Wooksta!

The Polish one *IS* the Airfix kit!  They (Airfix) loaned out the tool and never got it back.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"

The Plan:

Hobbes

Quote from: darthspud on December 24, 2012, 01:54:45 AM
Looks good to me and almost a real world interceptor.
Does make me wonder how the U.K. aero industry might have developed had Comrade Healey etc. not butchered it so effectively.

Well, there were plans for the SR.177, a larger follow-on to the SR.53. The 53 was pretty much a research aircraft only, with very little payload. The 177 was meant to address that. It was pretty much a competitor to the Lightning though, and the Lightning offered similar performance with much less complication.

darthspud

I'm fairly sure they had a restoration project at Brize Norton in the mid 1980's  refurbing the SR53. They had it in an old Fire station building behind base-hangar. Looked like they could use this model as a guide for the real thing.
too old for a paper round, too young for me pensions, dammit, back to work then!

The Wooksta!

SR177 would have been in service alongside Lightning.  TBH, given that the engine was VERY fuel thirsty, cancelling it was probably a good move.

"Visit Scarfolk today!"

The Plan:

Chris Payne

Quote from: The Wooksta! on December 24, 2012, 02:56:02 AM
The Polish one *IS* the Airfix kit!  They (Airfix) loaned out the tool and never got it back.

Erm, no its not.

It is a clone of the kit that actually has less detail than the original Airfix one.The pilot figure on the Airfix kit has much more detail and the Sprue layout is slightly different too.

Chris.

2014 EKFP Total = 8
2015 EKFP Total = 6
2016 EKFP Total = 2
2017 EKFP Total = 7
2018 EKFP Total = 3

kitbasher

Last hijack of this thread from me - where did you pick your Astra clone/copy/stolen mould SR53 from, Chris?
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

Chris Payne

Thorvic picked this one up for me at one of the Doncaster model shows a number of years ago. :thumbsup:

Chris.

2014 EKFP Total = 8
2015 EKFP Total = 6
2016 EKFP Total = 2
2017 EKFP Total = 7
2018 EKFP Total = 3

The Wooksta!

That's the one I've got.  I did have two but flogged one a few years back.  I think Geoff P got my Ursus one.

"Visit Scarfolk today!"

The Plan: