RNZAF TA-4K Mark II

Started by FAR148, December 24, 2012, 12:27:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FAR148

This is my other new project, a RNZAF TA-4K Mk II, inspired by Richard Chafer AKA Gekko_1's absolutely gorgeous profile.(chanced paint scheme 3/8/13)

So, What if the RNZAF didn't get rid of their Skyhawks? How would they updated them? I will be starting with hasegawa's TA-4J kit(1/48) and going to add new ejection seats, want to update the instrument panels, add an avionics hump as well as new targeting pod and weapons.

Until next time,
Steven L  :drink:

Scooterman

Gekko Skyhawk profile + FAR's building excellence =

WIN!

Ian the Kiwi Herder

Gunship grey & the two 'compass' greys ??

Ian
"When the Carpet Monster tells you it's full....
....it's time to tidy the workbench"

Confuscious (maybe)

FAR148

Yeah, I was thinking it was gunship, neutral, either light or dark ghost gray?

Cliffy B

Quote from: FAR148 on December 25, 2012, 07:12:10 AM

I'm thinking that as well.  The middle shade and lower shade have too much contrast to the be the Ghosts.  Reminds me of the current USMC scheme on C-130s as well as the USN scheme for SH-60s.

http://www.combatindex.com/hardware/images/air/c130/LG/kc-130_02.jpg

Their colors are Lt Gray, Lt Ghost, and Med Gray (blueish).

You mentioned adding avionics bumps/humps, how about an A-4M style spine hump?  I've always wanted to add one of those to a two seater.  Maybe add some conformal fuel tanks to the upper fuselage as well to make up for the added weight of the GIB and the rest of the goodies?  Would love to see one cross decked to a new Aussie carrier!  :mellow:

Can't wait to see what you come up with man  :thumbsup:

-Mike
"Helos don't fly.  They vibrate so violently that the ground rejects them."
-Tom Clancy

"Radial's Growl, Inline's Purr, Jet's Suck!"
-Anonymous

"If all else fails, call in an air strike."
-Anonymous

Ian the Kiwi Herder

Could be, Steven. It's your project, but you could have three distinct tones 'Bluish', 'Greyish' or 'British' using the same pattern. 'Bluish' would be Dark Blue Grey (35237), Dark Compass Grey (36320) and Pale Grey (36495); 'Greyish' would be Gunship Grey (36118), Neutral Grey ANA43, Lt Gull Grey (36440).... British would be my preference for obvious reasons, Ocean Grey, Barley Grey and Lt Aircraft Grey.

Y'know I ought to keep reminding m'self that this is somebody else's project shouldn't I  :rolleyes:

Ian

Confuscious (maybe)

FAR148

Quote from: Ian the Kiwi Herder on December 25, 2012, 01:43:44 PM

Could be, Steven. It's your project, but you could have three distinct tones 'Bluish', 'Greyish' or 'British' using the same pattern. 'Bluish' would be Dark Blue Grey (35237), Dark Compass Grey (36320) and Pale Grey (36495); 'Greyish' would be Gunship Grey (36118), Neutral Grey ANA43, Lt Gull Grey (36440).... British would be my preference for obvious reasons, Ocean Grey, Barley Grey and Lt Aircraft Grey.

Y'know I ought to keep reminding m'self that this is somebody else's project shouldn't I  :rolleyes:

Ian

No worries Ian. Just good food for thought.
Steven L  :thumbsup:

FAR148

Been doing some research on the A-4K's and came up with how I'm planning to updated mine.

*New glass cockpit that is night vision compatible cockpit---will do with kit parts and decals
*New ejection seats---resin seats
*Updated HUD---clear styrene
*AIM-9X, GBU-38 and GBU-39 capable---weapon set
*New radar APG-68---may change the shape of the radome
*GPS added---GPS doom from stock styrene
*Updated weapon stations---kitbash and resin parts
*New GE F414BJ engine(This variant would produce around 12,000 lb of thrust without afterburner)---going to modify the look of the nozzle a bit. No, my TA-4K Mk II will not have afterburner.
*New 30mm cannons ---going to modify the wing root like the IAF's Scooters

Until later,
Steven L  :cheers:

FAR148

It's a new year with new projects. Here's the first of many progress reports. Let's start was the avionics hump. Since I 'm starting with the Hasegawa TA-4J kit, the hump that comes with the kit is for the "M" model scooter. So I have an old Monogram OA-4M kit to kitbash for my TA-4K Mk II as well as other Skyhawk projects. I carefully remove the avionics hump and the tail fairing(not to be use on this project). Using them as master parts, I clean them up, rescribed some panel lines, molded then cast some resin copies.

Part of updating my kiwi scooter is adding a glass cockpits. This is easily done with decals from Italeri's Super Hornet kit. The two red boxes highlight the areas of the decals I'm going to use. First, all the beautiful detail on the two instrument panels has to be removed. Then with the two panels nice and smooth, I painted and applied the decals. Tada!

Continuing with the cockpit updating, I had two Ace II seats that was to be use for other project, I don't know what. But they were paint flat black(acrylic). I let them sit in a bath of windex overnight to strip the paint. I'll repaint them later. I also gave the back seater a new weapon control stick to play with.

On to the nose. With the New APG-68 radar, my Kiwi scooter is going to need a bigger radome. So I cut and super glued a strip of styrene on the bottom of her radome. Then I added at ton of favorite putty around the nose.

After sanding the $hit out of it, I shot the newly shaped nose with some thinned tamiya flat black(acrylic). I use acrylic because it tends to dry faster and harder than enamel paints. Once the paint is dry, using 3M Ultra fine softback sanding sponge(or you could use some 320 grit sandpaper or finer), I sanded the nose. The trick is to just sand away the paint and not the plastic. If done right, your sandpaper or sanding sponge should clog up and turn black from sanding away the paint. As you sand, stay away from surface detail that is raised. If you sand those areas, the detail would be soft or maybe even lost. You should start to notice all untouched detail stays black. You will also notice black spots, scratches and other surface defects stays black. The black spots are tiny holes or air bubbles in the putty that needs to filled up and sanded smooth. In the pic below, you can see the areas that I need to putty and sand. You can also see a panel line that needs to be scribed around the bottom of the new radome.

Once done with the new radome, I glued up the fuselage. Yes, the cockpit tubs are painted.( I was on a roll and didn't take any photos of them before I glue the two fuselage halves together.) I marked out where I needed to cut out to get her avionics hump to fit. I decided to keep the squared off tail to maintain the look of the TA-4K.

With my Dremel tool, I very roughly cut the openning for her avionics hump. After filing, cutting, sanding and some cursing, I got her new avionics hump to fit. Here you can see it in place and spot primered.

Here she is as of now, her intakes in place, wing fitted but not yet glued and her air brakes are in place.

Until later,
Steven L  :cheers:

Ian the Kiwi Herder

Confuscious (maybe)

Cobra

Looking Good :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: 3 Words:Kiwi TOP GUN! Hope to see more of Your Top Notch Project,Good Luck :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: Dan

NARSES2

To paraphrase many - It's time to pull up the comfy chairs and grab a beverage of your choice  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Daryl J.

Grins.  Chuckles. 
This is going to be good.

Army of One

Holy Moly.......I got my Hobgoblin or Broadside ale....sitting next to NARSES2 and watching......
BODY,BODY....HEAD..!!!!

IF YER HIT, YER DEAD!!!!

Captain Canada

Wow ! Beauty work so far !

Get it ? :thumbsup:

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?