Inspired by FAR148 - KiWeasel or Wild Wombat ?

Started by Ian the Kiwi Herder, December 27, 2012, 02:02:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ian the Kiwi Herder

It really is self explanatory isn't it !!

The question is 'do I dare' ?  :unsure: - It's a h*ll of a commitment, but then so was Steven's RCAF F-4G and look at what he ended-up with. It's simply magnificent. So should I commit to an F-2B/Barak hybrid. Well put it this way, when I offered the Italeri avionics spine to the Hasegawa fuselage....

....it matched almost perfectly.

All I need you folks to do is help me decide how it should be painted, and please don't anybody say 'Swedish splinter' because unless yo've done it (and I have, remember the Airfix Hawk from three years ago !!), you have no idea how much a pain in the a*se getting those colours and ratios correct really is !! - Lets assume it isn't going to be Japanese nor Israeli, I would possibly do it as an Aussie or Kiwi machine, I've got the decals, what I really need is some inspiration for camo. I'm quite handy at putting colours and tones together, so don't be shy  :thumbsup:

OK, over to you lot. Let the madness commence.... maybe  :rolleyes:

Ian
"When the Carpet Monster tells you it's full....
....it's time to tidy the workbench"

Confuscious (maybe)

TallEng

Well since you asked.....

How about this one?  It's from Gekko Graphics, so I hope he doesn't mind.

Now I'm not suggesting that you should use those actual colours (they might after all be considered a bit eccentric) ;) I just thought the pattern looked good.
I was thinking more of Tan/Dark Brown/Orangy Brown or if its for The RNZAF then more a combination of greeny jungly colours

Regards
Keith
The British have raised their security level from "Miffed" to "Peeved". Soon though, security levels may be raised yet again to "Irritated" or even "A Bit Cross". Londoners have not been "A Bit Cross" since the Blitz in 1940 when tea supplies ran out for three weeks

PR19_Kit

Ian, being totally ignorant about all things 1/48 myself, why would you need to go all the trouble of matching the Italeri conformal tanks to the Hasegawa kit? Why not just build the whole Italeri kit in the first place?
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Martin H

kit, its simple old son.

The Italeri kit is an F-16. The Hasegawa kit is an F-2B. Different aircraft, yet similar enough to cause a double take.
I always hope for the best.
Unfortunately,
experience has taught me to expect the worst.

Size (of the stash) matters.

IPMS (UK) What if? SIG Leader.
IPMS (UK) Project Cancelled SIG Member.

Gondor

Quote from: Martin H on December 27, 2012, 05:09:34 AM
kit, its simple old son.

The Italeri kit is an F-16. The Hasegawa kit is an F-2B. Different aircraft, yet similar enough to cause a double take.

Which is why I build an F-16 and an F-2 where I swapped over the cockpits and the decals to confuse people

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

FAR148

Who says creativity is not infectious!  Heck, I'm exited about this one! I always look to Gekko's Profile Page for inspiration. Richard comes up with some truly amazing camouflage patterns as well as stunning color combinations. You can always do a google search on camouflage patterns.

https://www.google.com/search?q=camouflage+patterns&hl=en&tbo=u&tbm=isch&source=univ&sa=X&ei=cpPcULnpIcSbqwGksoGgBA&sqi=2&ved=0CDwQsAQ&biw=1920&bih=919

Can't wait to see what you come up with!
Steven L :bow:

McColm

Ian the Kiwi Herder

That 004 pattern looks like the cover of OMD's 'Dazzle Ships' album, from 1983 !! - Digi-style camo could be a way to go, seen some superb examples, here on this very site. Was also thinking 'bout an 'optically flat' pattern, with all upper surfaces one shade (a dark blue-grey for example), lower surfaces a lighter tone (a pale blue) and the vertical surfaces something halfway between. It may not be greys, I could use greens, or tans.

The other idea would be to paint it in standard F-16 greys, now that would really scr*w with the JMZ's minds !!  :wacko:

Ian

ps:
Keep the ideas coming, folks.

Confuscious (maybe)

Rheged

Gosh!!  All of a sudden I am reminded of the Ishihara  colour blindness test!
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

PR19_Kit

I dare not have that post on the screen when Mrs_PR19 is in the room. She'd start thinking about wallpaper immediately!  :o

As for F-16s and F-2Bs I always thought the latter was a licence built version of the former, just shows how confused you can be. That is except for the Bristol F-2Bs as they were bi-planes anyway.....  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Scooterman

For inspiration, my brother-

1/72 F-16D nose to just behind canopy, resin spine from MATV kit, rest F-2.  All Hasey.

As for color scheme, I really like the look of Euro I on Vipers-

If you go that route, or something similar, I have the painting diagrams for the Lizards that I can pass along.......

Ian the Kiwi Herder

Brad is that your F-16/F-2 ??

And yes I really like the Euro 1 Vipers, one of very favourite aircraft/camo combinations (like SEA wraparound F-4's), Mmmmm :wub:. I'd appreciate the painting plans too, at this point I'm not ruling anything out.

Keep it coming folks.

Ian

Confuscious (maybe)

Scooterman

Yes it's mine and I'll get the scans coming to you soon-ish........need to dig them out.

FAR148

More inspiration. Sorry don't know who made these profiles.

Euro 1 paint scheme

More here... http://www.jpsmodell.de/dc/main_e.htm

Steven L  :cheers:

Ian the Kiwi Herder

Fantastic response here folks, sincerely, thanks. Wonder what will happen when I get off the fence and start butchering plastic !!

Ian

Confuscious (maybe)