BAC Mitsubishi Jaguar

Started by Nick, December 27, 2012, 10:04:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nick

Desiring a fast jet trainer and a light attack aircraft, Britain and France decided to collaborate on such a project in the early 1960s. Breguet and the British Aircraft Corporation joined forces to form SEPECAT and plans progressed well until in 1966 politics got in the way.... France said NON! and stormed off in a gallic huff, noses pointed high in the air!

Panic ensued in Whitehall as the RAF were looking at a great delay for their much hoped for Jaguar until BAC could get setup to build the whole thing in Britain. The lawyers were slowly getting fat on the negotiations to buy the rights to the whole project lock, stock and barrel from the French who seemed intent on dragging the whole affair out to suit their own aviation firms.
Then came a trade delegation from Japan. The Japanese Air Self Defence Force had a similar need for a fast jet trainer and Mitsubishi were hoping to buy the rights for self-build in Japan. This was not to be thanks to the legalities but a compromise was agreed. BAC would help Mitsubishi with the design and gain the rights to produce a British Jaguar based on the Mitsubishi design. The design was settled on in 1967, both governments signing up to a joint production and the combination of apanese technology and British know-how won the day.

First flight of the twin seater was in October 1970, the single seater followed in January 1971. A slew of prototypes and pre-production machines followed on each side of the globe for full flight testing. Full production continued for a decade after, Britain took 162 single seaters and 27 twin seaters, it being recognised early on that the Hawker Siddeley Hawk was more suitable for fast jet training. The JASDF ordered 80 of each but soon dropped the twin-seat order down to 30, preferring the option to license build the H.S. Hawk.

Overseas sales were fairly good with several African and South American nations buying a few squadrons each. Asian sales struggled due to the anti-Japanese feelings but BAC persevered and eventually India opted to license build theirs at HAL. Conversely Mitsubishi managed to sell 46 to Pakistan. European sales were poor despite interest from Italy and Germany, a proposal to rebuild the Spanish Air Force with 4 squadrons was thwarted by an All-American sales team having a blank cheque from the US govt. The final BAC Mitsubishi Jaguar rolled off the Warton factory floor in 1984.

rickshaw

Excellent!  I have similar plans for an F1 kit I have in the stash.   :thumbsup:
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

silverwindblade

Great! I love the F-1 and the Jag. Nice way of accounting for the similarities between the aircraft too. The RAF camo one is almost enough to make you do a double take xD

Shame there's not an easy to get hold of kit of the Soko Orao to do the same thing again!

Great piece of work, Nick :D
Amidst the blue skies, a link from past to future. The sheltering wings of the protector...
Gordon's Alive, a Podcast I host. Check us out!

Captain Canada

Nice one ! Love the story, defo a good way to account for their similarities !

Love them both

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

McColm

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Army of One

BODY,BODY....HEAD..!!!!

IF YER HIT, YER DEAD!!!!