EE Canberra BI G

Started by andrewj, December 30, 2012, 11:01:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

andrewj

When the Air Ministry issued specification B3/45 for a twin jet powered bomber to replace the Mosquito in RAF service , the then little known ,[as an aircraft manufacturer ], English Electric Co. submitted a design by A W Petter ,the EE A1 , a twin engined mid wing aircraft with the novelty, for a British bomber, of a nosewheel.
Unfortunately the RR Avon engine intended to be used was a failure and due to the high demand this imposed on the other suitable engine the AS Sapphire, for the Supermarine and Hawker fighters then in planning it looked as if the Canberra would be stilborn.
EE ,however , decided to procede with a piston engined variant ,as a means to keep the project flying, Sabre and Centaurus engines were briefly considered before Petter proposed using a Griffon engine in a power-egg modified from that of the Avro Lincoln. This meant the aircraft could fly quicky, so the minimum of airframe modifications were made to enable test flying to procede.
It was always the intention that suitable jet engines would be fitted if and when availible, so the jet nacelles were retained, these it was quickly realised were ideal positions in which to fit two rocket motors, these could be used to enable rapid or overloaded take-offs or to provide greater height/speed over targets and to avoid/outrun fighter interception.
A limited production run ensued and entered service with a couple of RAF squadrons, they served for several years but were soon replaced by jet engined variants and are little remembered these days.

I build this one, from the 1/48 Airfix kit, for the What-if group build over on Britmodeller, worth having a look at , some nice builds there.

Andrew

Hobbes

Well done, interesting modification.

loupgarou

Very interesting and clean looking plane.
Where have you found a 1/48 Lincoln or Shackleton to get the engines from?
loupgarou
Owing to the current financial difficulties, the light at the end of the tunnel will be turned off until further notice.

van883

bobbo

Great backstory, great execution!

bobbo

Glenn Gilbertson

The Wooksta!

It looks more instinctively "right" as a concept than the Merlin engined Cranberry buit for Britmodeller's last Whif build.

Superb.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

andrewj

Thanks for the positive comments, glad you like it , the engines are simple scratchbuilds from plastic tubing.

Andrew

McColm

PR19_Kit

Oh yes!  :bow: :thumbsup:

I'm almost sure I saw one of those way back when........  ;) ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

andrewj

Quote from: PR19_Kit on December 31, 2012, 12:13:46 AM
Oh yes!  :bow: :thumbsup:

I'm almost sure I saw one of those way back when........  ;) ;D

Was it the PRI G with the very long wings ?

The Wooksta!

The way it's been done, it could also be a turboprop?
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

andrewj

Quote from: The Wooksta! on December 31, 2012, 04:02:24 AM
The way it's been done, it could also be a turboprop?

Could easily be, if turboprops had ever been successfully developed.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: andrewj on December 31, 2012, 03:23:18 AM
Was it the PRI G with the very long wings ?

It could well have been, now I think about it..............  ;)
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.