What If ideas/goals for the upcoming year, what are YOUR plans?

Started by SigfanUSAF, December 31, 2012, 08:40:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

McColm

Looks like I have a lot of builds to finish before starting anything new.I think that I will need some more shelving!

McColm

I'm waiting for the arrival of a 1/72 Mach2 SE210 Caravelle. Been on Google and saw the Swedish TP85. This would look good with the Erieye radar and Swedish Air Force camouflage paint scheme. I've read various kit reviews and it seems to me that parts from the Airfix HS/BAe Nimrod could be adapted to fit. The engines may need to be changed to a propfan as on the concept model of the McDonnell Douglas P-9D. I may need to change the vertical tail fin to a T-tail or get resin replacement engines. I'll have a rummage in the stash.
Another idea that I had was the unbuilt de Havilland Comet C5. Using the Heller 1/72 Boeing E-3A kit with parts from the Airfix BAe Nimrod and Anigrand Martin SeaMaster. The SeaMaster engines fitted above the wings and the Nimrod tail added, I might be able to add the nose section from the Nimrod as well. Cheat lines on the fuselage could indicate that a weapons bay was fitted with the doors closed and under wing pylons fitted. Holes to be drilled to simulate sonorbouy launch tubes and or a decal sheet from a Lockheed P-3A Orion. ESM wingtip pods and a inflight refuelling probe. The crew entry door will have to be moved to a new position.

McColm

An interesting idea has been bugging me for the last two days. A Canadair CL-415 powered by two turbojets/turbofans from the Airfix Lockheed S-3A Viking.
The S-3A Viking will use the turboprop engines and AEW rotodome on the vertical tail fin.
Using the Airfix Bristol 192 Belverdere helicopter as a donor for an AEW platform and something similar with a Chinook or the Sea Chinook.
When I get around to fitting a Mossie with floats.
Then there's the 1/72 Monogram Rockwell B-1B. I still think it can be converted into a 8-10 passenger VG transport or in-flight refueling tanker- probably both. There are improvement sets available and the odd 1/72 Concorde kit in the spares section of an on line auction site.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: McColm on August 01, 2017, 08:27:58 AM

Using the Airfix Bristol 192 Belverdere helicopter as a donor for an AEW platform.......

Didn't OGL do that last year sometime?
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

McColm

McColm

Got an idea for the 1/72 Airfix Avro Shackleton MR.2. A twin engined variant.
Makes sense to me, the interior is to be installed on the Airfix Bristol Belverdere helicopter with the cargo door in the open position.
As to the fate of the Airmodel Blohm and Voss Wiking with the wings from the vacform Northrop YB-49. This will become a flying boat gunship. I can use the engines from the AMT X/YB-35.

McColm

Got an idea of using the Revell HP Victor with the wings off the Airfix Avro Vulcan. Probably use the Vulcan canopy.

McColm

If you added the wings and engines from a 1/72 Avro Shackleton to the Airfix Avro Lancaster BII. It would still be a Lancaster, wouldn't it?
Another twin engined Shackleton using the Airfix kit or a test aircraft with two turbo jets under the outer wings.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: McColm on September 06, 2017, 08:06:11 AM

If you added the wings and engines from a 1/72 Avro Shackleton to the Airfix Avro Lancaster BII. It would still be a Lancaster, wouldn't it?

It would more likely be a Griffon engined Lincoln, the Shackleton's and Lincoln's wings are almost identical.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Scotaidh

I've got to finish my "Plates In Space - the PFT Phaeton" entry for StarShipModeler - due date the end of the month.
After that I've got some in-progress kits to complete, which I've sort of tabled for next year -
1:  a low-wing Cessna 172 with a main/central & wingtip floats;
2:  an F7U-3 to re-engine with Speys for RN service;
3:  a Whirlwind with DB 601As instead of Peregrines; 
4:  a next-generation carrier in the works - Hull complete, island built, external-propulsion-bits in hand.  The project is held up by what-in-thunder to use for aircraft - still trying to figure that out. 
5:  got to convert the P-76 Prototype Twin Lightning to flying configuration  :(

After all that, I've got a lot of kits and ideas.  :)  I'll probably get more ideas from you lot - counting on it, anyway!  :) 

Oh, yes - do a wing swap between a Victor and a Vulcan - probably have to stretch the Victor a bit to make it reach.  Then someone was talking about converting a Victor to an AEW ala Nimrod-style - whacking great pods fore and aft.  Still cogitating on how to arrange the air brakes in that configuration ...  :)
Thistle dew, Pig - thistle dew!

Where am I going?  And why am I in a handbasket?

It's dark in the dark when it's dark. Ancient Ogre Proverb

"All right, boyz - the plan iz 'Win.'  And if ya lose, it's yer own fault 'coz ya didn't follow the plan."

McColm

Bought another 1/72 Hasegawa shin Miew PS-1/SS-2.
An AEW & C version with either the Wedgetail or Eeryie radome.
Could change the engines to the six/ seven blade propellers or add turbofans instead.

McColm

I'd like to see whether I can thin the fuselage of a 1/72 Avro Shackleton to the same width of the Avro Lancaster. I think that I have a pair of resin tail fins for the later mark Lancaster.
The Lancaster canopy would replace the Shackleton one, keeping the front gunners position or replacing it with the nose cone from the Lancastrian set.
On the Shackleton there are three propellers on each shaft, I'd like to replace them with four props making them eight for each engine.
This would slot into the missing link between the Lincoln and Shackleton. I know that the Shackleton is wider than the Lancaster and that the Lincoln is different from the Lancaster.
Since there isn't a Shackleton Mk I in plastic yet nor a Lincoln, this might just work. I'll be using the Airfix MR.2 for the build.

Spey_Phantom

Lets see,

at this moment, ive just started on a 1/72 P-84B Thunderjet (converted from mistercraft F-84G) in a WW2-1946 livery.
im also bout to start on 2 1/72 Messerschmitt Me262's, one will be a fighter optimised A-6a variant, the other a Japanese Ki-201.

still have loads more of ideas, some dating back years, i might have to revisit those.
on the bench:

-all kinds of things.

Old Wombat

My focus is much shorter than a year right now, I'm aiming to try to get something finished-enough by Friday to take the the SAPMA Expo on the weekend. :banghead:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

NARSES2

Quote from: Old Wombat on October 10, 2017, 05:17:10 AM
My focus is much shorter than a year right now, I'm aiming to try to get something finished-enough by Friday to take the the SAPMA Expo on the weekend. :banghead:

Yup with Telford just over 4 weeks away I'm in a not dissimilar situation, although not quite so desperate .........yet  ;)

I don't make plans as such. When I get an idea I jot it down on the assumption that I may come back to it latter but I don't make "definite" plans anymore beyond a week in front. One of the truism's you learn as you get older is "the best laid plans....."  :mellow:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.