What If ideas/goals for the upcoming year, what are YOUR plans?

Started by SigfanUSAF, December 31, 2012, 08:40:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chrisonord

Put more shelves up in my hobby room, and some fishing line through the loops attached along the ceiling line, so I can hang up my bigger aircraft builds. I also have a yearning to build some more mirages.
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

scooter

A render we can all relate to, based on the Bard's Sonnet 100:

Where art thou, Muse, that thou forget'st so long
To speak of that which gives thee all thy might?
Spend'st thou thy fury on some worthless song,
Darkening thy power to lend base subjects light?
Return, forgetful Muse, and straight redeem
In gentle numbers time so idly spent;
Sing to the ear that doth thy lays esteem
And gives thy pen both skill and argument.
Rise, resty Muse, my love's sweet face survey,
If Time have any wrinkle graven there;
If any, be a satire to decay,
And make Time's spoils despised every where.
    Give my love fame faster than Time wastes life;
    So thou prevent'st his scythe and crooked knife.
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

HarryPhishnuts

Probably a bit OCD but I've planned out my builds for the next couple of years based on the stash.  I have a number of different themes so I try and hit a couple from each theme, 2 Whifs this year. So far this year

1. F-105K - (whif) DONE
2. F-4F - (Phantoms) DONE
3. F6F-5 (Jolly Roger) - DONE
4. F-5E (Aggressor) - DONE
5. FGR.2 (Phantoms)
6. OA-61D (whif),
7. AH-1G (SEA)
8. RF-4B (Phantoms)
9. F8F-2 (Jolly Roger)

scooter

Quote from: scooter on May 29, 2024, 04:44:59 PMA render we can all relate to, based on the Bard's Sonnet 100:

Where art thou, Muse, that thou forget'st so long
To speak of that which gives thee all thy might?
Spend'st thou thy fury on some worthless song,
Darkening thy power to lend base subjects light?
Return, forgetful Muse, and straight redeem
In gentle numbers time so idly spent;
Sing to the ear that doth thy lays esteem
And gives thy pen both skill and argument.
Rise, resty Muse, my love's sweet face survey,
If Time have any wrinkle graven there;
If any, be a satire to decay,
And make Time's spoils despised every where.
    Give my love fame faster than Time wastes life;
    So thou prevent'st his scythe and crooked knife.

As an addendum; to develop somethings rattling around in my noggin into a coherent plot, and into a comic format.
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

McColm

I've just watched several articles on YouTube Rover 800 estate/station wagon that was built but never made it into production and the six-wheeled Range Rovers.
The 1/24 Range Rover two door is available through Italeri but the four door kits aren't but do come up on eBay from time to time. As for the Rover you can get a resin bodyshell or a die-cast fastback or saloon. So a three door.hatchback is also possible. They would require new roofs to avoid the kink.
A trolley bus, maybe a model kit to begin with and a few whiffs or a working model. Well there's working models of trams in 00/ho so a trolley bus shouldn't be too difficult.

NARSES2

Quote from: McColm on June 12, 2024, 01:13:52 PMA trolley bus, maybe a model kit to begin with and a few whiffs or a working model. Well there's working models of trams in 00/ho so a trolley bus shouldn't be too difficult.

Given the "recent" revival of trams over the last few years in the UK (I think my hometown Croydon was the first) I'm surprised no one has suggested bringing the old trolley bus back  ;D I used to like riding on them as a kid, it always seemed more "exciting" then ordinary buses for some reason. Maybe it was that buzz they made when moving off ?
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

McColm

Quote from: NARSES2 on June 13, 2024, 01:00:15 AM
Quote from: McColm on June 12, 2024, 01:13:52 PMA trolley bus, maybe a model kit to begin with and a few whiffs or a working model. Well there's working models of trams in 00/ho so a trolley bus shouldn't be too difficult.

Given the "recent" revival of trams over the last few years in the UK (I think my hometown Croydon was the first) I'm surprised no one has suggested bringing the old trolley bus back  ;D I used to like riding on them as a kid, it always seemed more "exciting" then ordinary buses for some reason. Maybe it was that buzz they made when moving off ?
The only ones that I have seen are in the London Transport Museum in Covent Gardens, I heard that they were used from Uxbridge to Southall along the Uxbridge Road.

scooter

Quote from: NARSES2 on June 13, 2024, 01:00:15 AMI'm surprised no one has suggested bringing the old trolley bus back

I think part of the reason why is congestion.  Trolley buses are subject to the same limitations as motor buses.  There there's the cost, since all the infrastructure for them has been torn up/down.  Trams can use existing rail infrastructure, including right of ways that may have been closed during that era of BR when Dr Beeching was taking his axe to legacy rail routes.
Gone But Not Forgotten

— Groucho Marx

NARSES2

Quote from: McColm on June 13, 2024, 05:39:02 AMThe only ones that I have seen are in the London Transport Museum in Covent Gardens, I heard that they were used from Uxbridge to Southall along the Uxbridge Road.

Used all over the country.

Quote from: scooter on June 13, 2024, 06:06:36 AM
Quote from: NARSES2 on June 13, 2024, 01:00:15 AMI'm surprised no one has suggested bringing the old trolley bus back

I think part of the reason why is congestion.  Trolley buses are subject to the same limitations as motor buses.  There there's the cost, since all the infrastructure for them has been torn up/down.  Trams can use existing rail infrastructure, including right of ways that may have been closed during that era of BR when Dr Beeching was taking his axe to legacy rail routes.

Possibly Scoot, but in the UK most of the "new" tram lines had to have a lot of the infrastructure built from scratch, so were fairly expensive projects taking a fair few years to complete. The only one I know in any detail is Croydon's and at least half of that was brand new. The Croydon-Wimbledon link used the old rail route, but that meant closing the only direct link to Wimbledon down for 5 years while they built it.  :banghead: Trolley buses would have almost certainly been less exspensive, yes you've still got the congestion issue, but if you really wanted to be radical when it comes to "greening" your transport net than that can be easily fixed  ;)
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Gondor

The tram in Edinburgh was done from scratch, cost went way over budget as well.

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

NARSES2

Quote from: Gondor on June 15, 2024, 10:50:44 AMThe tram in Edinburgh was done from scratch, cost went way over budget as well.

Gondor

I think that can probably be said for most of the new urban tram systems. Must admit I'm a fan of the Croydon service, and it certainly gets used.

Beermonster58

Quote from: Gondor on June 15, 2024, 10:50:44 AMThe tram in Edinburgh was done from scratch, cost went way over budget as well.

Gondor
£1.1 billion so far I believe . The original cost estimate was about £540 million. Five years late and, now the City Council wants to add extensions. They've no money of course and, the Scottish Government has now refused to even  fund( £44 million) the cost of developing a "business case" and pre construction work for the latest tram wheezes!
Hates rivet counters! Eats JMNs for breakfast!

PR19_Kit

It costs £44 MILLION to 'develop a business case'?????

Money for old rope for the 'developers', who will sit around with their mates for an hour so and invent some spurious 'business plan' which they'll underquote for and then say 'the costs have multiplied' when it gets started and demand more funding.  :banghead:  :banghead:  :banghead:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

Quote from: PR19_Kit on June 16, 2024, 03:04:40 AMIt costs £44 MILLION to 'develop a business case'?????

Money for old rope for the 'developers', who will sit around with their mates for an hour so and invent some spurious 'business plan' 

Nah, the cleceev ones will pull one off the shelf  :angel:

Quote from: Beermonster58 on June 16, 2024, 01:32:32 AM£1.5 billion so far I believe .

I take it from that it's not open yet then ? Shame if so, I was going to have a look next time I'm in Edinburgh.

Beermonster58

Quote from: NARSES2 on June 17, 2024, 05:53:29 AM
Quote from: PR19_Kit on June 16, 2024, 03:04:40 AMIt costs £44 MILLION to 'develop a business case'?????

Money for old rope for the 'developers', who will sit around with their mates for an hour so and invent some spurious 'business plan' 

Nah, the cleceev ones will pull one off the shelf  :angel:

Quote from: Beermonster58 on June 16, 2024, 01:32:32 AM£1.5 billion so far I believe .

I take it from that it's not open yet then ? Shame if so, I was going to have a look next time I'm in Edinburgh.
It's open for business all right. It's just that it was five years late and, humungously over budget. Latest estimates for cost so far vary between £1.1 - £1.5 billion. The tram line only serves  about 10%  of the city and, is next to useless for most locals as it serves so few destinations in Edinburgh. It's certainly useless for me as, I'm three miles from the nearest tram stop and, I'd have to get a bus in order to use the tram ;)  ;D  ;)  There is a certain curiosity factor about it though. My partner was certainly eager to try it as she'd never seen, let alone used  a tram before! ;D 

Hates rivet counters! Eats JMNs for breakfast!