What If ideas/goals for the upcoming year, what are YOUR plans?

Started by SigfanUSAF, December 31, 2012, 08:40:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scotaidh

Quote from: Beermonster58 on June 18, 2024, 04:04:44 AM<snip>

On the model front, I have severely culled my stock of unbuilt kits. I've donated some to local charity shops and, given the others away to anybody that wants them.I don't now buy any new kits until I've completed at least two of my remaining ones. Now that I'm officially retired I can complete turning my spare bedroom into a man cave! ;D

I'm staring down the barrels of Retirement in a few years ...  from the highest-paid job I have ever had.  :)  When I started this job, someone on a modeling forum somewhere said something along the lines of ''we live in the golden age of modeling - more subjects than ever before are being molded''.  Taking that to heart, I've been buying models as if they'd be discontinued tomorrow - whilst I've got a 'disposable' income, because I have a nasty feeling that once I retire, all purchasing will be of things like food & medicine.

Most of the models of my childhood that, viewed with the callow eyes of youth I spurned, are now those that viewed with the eyes of aged wisdom, I desire.  Things like Buck Rogers Starfighter, the Robotech line, the SRN4, the Angel Interceptor, all the Space: 1999 craft, the original MiG-21 (small spine) - these are now difficult to find and expensive once you do.

My latest purchase was a 1/72 Douglas Skyraider for $10 from a bloke in a FacePlank interest group, cos as a child I used to watch the Armee de l'aire Skyraiders taking off from Ft. Lamy to go ... do whatever, then return. 

<rare-planedetective.com> has had some cheap float-planes in stock, so I've been buying those for some planned conversions - I know a Spit V was floated, but how about a Bf-109F?
Thistle dew, Pig - thistle dew!

Where am I going?  And why am I in a handbasket?

It's dark in the dark when it's dark. Ancient Ogre Proverb

"All right, boyz - the plan iz 'Win.'  And if ya lose, it's yer own fault 'coz ya didn't follow the plan."

Wardukw

Quote from: Scotaidh on August 03, 2024, 02:22:27 AM

On the model front, I have severely culled my stock of unbuilt kits. I've donated some to local charity shops and, given the others away to anybody that wants them.I don't now buy any new kits until I've completed at least two of my remaining ones. Now that I'm officially retired I can complete turning my spare bedroom into a man cave! ;D

I'm staring down the barrels of Retirement in a few years ...  from the highest-paid job I have ever had.  :)  When I started this job, someone on a modeling forum somewhere said something along the lines of ''we live in the golden age of modeling - more subjects than ever before are being molded''.  Taking that to heart, I've been buying models as if they'd be discontinued tomorrow - whilst I've got a 'disposable' income, because I have a nasty feeling that once I retire, all purchasing will be of things like food & medicine.

Most of the models of my childhood that, viewed with the callow eyes of youth I spurned, are now those that viewed with the eyes of aged wisdom, I desire.  Things like Buck Rogers Starfighter, the Robotech line, the SRN4, the Angel Interceptor, all the Space: 1999 craft, the original MiG-21 (small spine) - these are now difficult to find and expensive once you do.

My latest purchase was a 1/72 Douglas Skyraider for $10 from a bloke in a FacePlank interest group, cos as a child I used to watch the Armee de l'aire Skyraiders taking off from Ft. Lamy to go ... do whatever, then return. 

<rare-planedetective.com> has had some cheap float-planes in stock, so I've been buying those for some planned conversions - I know a Spit V was floated, but how about a Bf-109F?
Not that I've seen matey ..so do it ..the more float planes the better  ;D  :thumbsup:
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

zenrat

Quote from: Wardukw on August 03, 2024, 03:26:55 AM

Not that I've seen matey ..so do it ..the more float planes the better  ;D  :thumbsup:

Single float though, like a Rufe.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Zero-Sen

Quote from: zenrat on August 03, 2024, 03:35:34 AM
Quote from: Wardukw on August 03, 2024, 03:26:55 AM

Single float though, like a Rufe.

SOVA-M did two BF-109 kits with floats:
  • Bf-109W-1 - twin float
  • Bf-109W-2 - single float ( Rufe like )

However, they are quite expensive for 1/72 kits.

Scotaidh

Oh, well - something else, then.  FW Dora 9, anyone?  Hampden?
Thistle dew, Pig - thistle dew!

Where am I going?  And why am I in a handbasket?

It's dark in the dark when it's dark. Ancient Ogre Proverb

"All right, boyz - the plan iz 'Win.'  And if ya lose, it's yer own fault 'coz ya didn't follow the plan."

Wardukw

Quote from: Scotaidh on August 04, 2024, 02:22:40 AMOh, well - something else, then.  FW Dora 9, anyone?  Hampden?
Oh now that's a better idea mate..FW 190 D9 or 13 or Ta 152 on floats ..that I like much better  ;D
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

zenrat

Me 110 torpedo bomber float plane?

Or a Storch.  They ever put floats on one of them?  The floats from the Airfix Auster should work well...
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

McColm

With the backlog of applications for those who have requested security licences or renewals still waiting since March 2024, it would appear that my return to work is delayed until the winter or early next year. That means I can get a few more of the shelf queens finished. More racking will be needed and a new stash started.
I  still intend to build nearly all those started but never finished ones that got trashed.
Long-term aircraft fuselages on wheels without the wings. Jimmy's World the Elvis Jet and the DC-3 motorhome in 1/72 scale (1/76 chassis from a bus kit).

The Wooksta!

Having completed, thereabouts, of two of this year's key builds, I'm looking at next year's.  One is likely to be the Airmodel Junkers Ju 90A, the second a Mach Two Bv 142, with the third likely to be the Vami resin kit of the Bv144 airliner. It is very rough, but I do like a challenge.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

NARSES2

Quote from: The Wooksta! on August 08, 2024, 02:56:11 PMHaving completed, thereabouts, of two of this year's key builds, I'm looking at next year's.  One is likely to be the Airmodel Junkers Ju 90A, the second a Mach Two Bv 142, with the third likely to be the Vami resin kit of the Bv144 airliner. It is very rough, but I do like a challenge.

Indeed you do mate  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.