What If ideas/goals for the upcoming year, what are YOUR plans?

Started by SigfanUSAF, December 31, 2012, 08:40:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

McColm

Quote from: McColm on January 03, 2016, 04:49:23 AM
Using a second-hand already built Airfix Nimrod and stretching the fuselage  by a two window section forward of the wing (Sky Guardian). Adding a wing fuel tank right-hand-side. Using the Nimrod AEW3 vertical tail and two winglets to the tail for stability from a E-2 Hawkeye kit. The tail exhaust pipes are from the Airfix Sea Harrier Mk2.
Originally to fit a Rotodome from the Hawkeye but the Lonewulf Sidetrack Harrier AEW resin conversion set wing pods are a better fit. Dry tested, the two underwing hose & drogue inflight fueling pods from the Matchbox/Revell HP Victor K2 fit and have been glued in place.
The Sidetrack nose cone will be fitted at the rear.
Just need to add the undercarriage , aerials, inflight refueling probe and landing lighting. May scribe fuselage cargo doors. Paint scheme to be decided . Tiger stripes or union flag on the wings and tail surfaces.
Updated progress report
The underwing refuelling pods have been removed and keeps the refuelling role by having the flying boom installed with the drogue coupling.
On the roof instead of the Hawkeye Rotodome it has the giant rotodome  from the Lockheed WV-2E Warning Star.

chrisonord

This year I fancy having a go at scratch building a 1/72nd scale W.I.G. craft, military service or perhaps even a S.H.A.D.O one then I can get away with making it silly  :rolleyes:
Chris.
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

PR19_Kit

How can you build a W.I.G that DOESN'T look silly? It's intrinsic in their very DNA surely?  ;D :lol:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

McColm

Reading the kit reviews of the Airfix and Revell Avro Shackleton, it seems to me that the Revell model has better details but also a fair amount of flash compared to the Airfix kit.
I won't know exactly what's what until I have both kits on the bench.
Also with the Revell kit the AEW  radome is a separate piece which means the MR.2 can be built with or without the upper gun turret but no guns are provided for the front. The fuselage is in to parts front and rear whereas the Airfix kit is in two halves. There's not a great deal of rivets on the fuselage.
At this point I'm not too sure if these kits are interactive with each other.
Variants in the pipeline;
Airliner
Gunship
Flying boat using the Be-6 as a donor
Heavy bomber
AEW-spin top
Twin tail twin boom
Jet powered - with Canberra wing.
Shoulder wing- possible on the Airfix kit.

Gondor

Quote from: McColm on May 14, 2016, 11:40:57 PM
Reading the kit reviews of the Airfix and Revell Avro Shackleton, it seems to me that the Revell model has better details but also a fair amount of flash compared to the Airfix kit.
Also with the Revell kit the AEW  radome is a separate piece which means the MR.2 can be built with or without the upper gun turret but no guns are provided for the front. The fuselage is in to parts front and rear whereas the Airfix kit is in two halves. There's not a great deal of rivets on the fuselage.

What the F**k are you on about ?

The New Revell kit is designed to be an AEW2 version, not an MR version. As such it does not have any armament at all. Any stores that are carried in the remains of the bomb bay would be Lindholme equipment for Air-Sea rescue. If you want a Shackleton with guns just buy the Airfix example and use that kit as a basis for what you want to do.

Also the work "interactive" is not the correct word to use. Interactive is used to describe an item or device which reacts to a person pushing a button, control or other attachment which results in the item or device reacting by producing an audio or video output or even a physical reaction.
I am guessing that you intended to use the word "interchangeable" which considering the hobby and what you do with dissipative models is immaterial.

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

Old Wombat

I plan to complete at least one build for the "In the Navy" GB (hopefully 2) & get some more armour built - I don't care what, as long as it's built! ;D

I'd, also, like to finish off some of the stalled builds lying about the place! :banghead:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

McColm

Quote from: Gondor on May 15, 2016, 03:59:11 AM
Quote from: McColm on May 14, 2016, 11:40:57 PM

What the F**k are you on about ?

The New Revell kit is designed to be an AEW2 version, not an MR version. As such it does not have any armament at all. Any stores that are carried in the remains of the bomb bay would be Lindholme equipment for Air-Sea rescue. If you want a Shackleton with guns just buy the Airfix example and use that kit as a basis for what you want to do.

Also the work "interactive" is not the correct word to use. Interactive is used to describe an item or device which reacts to a person pushing a button, control or other attachment which results in the item or device reacting by producing an audio or video output or even a physical reaction.
I am guessing that you intended to use the word "interchangeable" which considering the hobby and what you do with dissipative models is immaterial.

Gondor
There is a skill level 5 and skill level3 in the Revell range of Shackleton AEW  along with the possibilities of future models of the Mk2.
All I'm suggesting is the Whiffer could build a MR2 from the new Revell kit if using parts from the Airfix kit.
Having had a taxi run in the Avro Shackleton AEW at RAF Kinloss I'm aware of the removal of the guns and maritime ASW kit.
Although the ammo store and fun mounts weren't removed from the AEW.
The model would look good with a life boat in the weapons bay as it was carried on  a MR1.

Gondor

Quote from: McColm on May 16, 2016, 11:36:12 PM
There is a skill level 5 and skill level3 in the Revell range of Shackleton AEW  along with the possibilities of future models of the Mk2.

No there are not two AEW Shackletons in the Revell range. There is ONE AEW and ONE MR3!

All I'm suggesting is the Whiffer could build a MR2 from the new Revell kit if using parts from the Airfix kit.

No point as I said before. If you want to build an MR2 you buy the Airfix kit. Another alternative is to buy the MR3 kit and use the Aeroclub conversion set if you can get hold of it. This would result in a lot of work when you could be a nice new Airfix Kit.

Although the ammo store and fun mounts weren't removed from the AEW.

What's a Fun mount?

On second thoughts I can answer that myself  :rolleyes:, but I was referring to what you wrote McColm.

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

McColm

That's predicted text should be fun not fun.
I'll have to buy both kits.
In the May issue of Scale Aviation Modeller International page 411 .The Revell advert has the new tool Level 3 04920 Avro Shackleton Mk. 2 AEW, 1/72 where as other kits have level 5 for the same model and number.
Got an idea for a solar powered aircraft carrier Whiff and real world!

The Wooksta!

There isn't a Shackleton MR3 currently in the Revell range.  20 years ago (is it really THAT long???!!!) they reboxed Russian repops from the Frog moulds after paying for them to be cleaned up and reissued them with new decals.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

Tophe

[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

McColm

Being trying to find the blue prints for the VG Jaguar, this was proposed by the French before the design was changed.
Then there's Concorde. I know that there were proposals to stretch the fuselage to add extra seating, not so sure if any organization thought of reducing the fuselage. As I have a 1/144 kit in the stash and a secondhand model minus the landing gear.

McColm

Got a few ideas for stealth aircraft using the Su-27 as the donor. Possible  Su-T50 in RAF colours.
Kitbash using the Hasegawa Kawanishi H8K2 Emily and the remains of the Revell Br1150 Atlantic 1 . Similar to the Br1250 design, as I've got the gull wings from the Martin Marlin. A change of engines as I'm using the RR Tynes on the Argos Gunship.
I should be able to build a 1/144 Boeing 747 with turboprop engines or compound turbos to resemble the Lockheed Constitution.

Captain Canada

I'm really hoping to get on with my Luft '46 ideas this year. Winter is coming !

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

JayBee

I am. in the immediate time period, planning to get a couple of stalled builds completed. One of which is about 13 years old now.
Then I am planning "A Herd of Reindeer".
Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!