My stash just grew again (2013)

Started by Army of One, December 31, 2012, 01:30:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JayBee

From the Glasgow MZ sale

Airfix Gladiator Mk1
   "    Short Tucano..

just did not see anything else that I needed.

Jim
Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!

The Wooksta!

I'll have to have a look in MZ to see how much the Airfix Spits have come down by.  Could do with a few to restock...
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

major

From Mr. Deathjester,

4 x Hawker Typhoon's
Frog Percival Proctor
P-61 Black Widow
Fiesler Fi 156 Storch
Frog Spitfire 1a

and a very nice Fujimi Alouette III from his ebay auction!

kitnut617

From the Big H today:
1/72 CMR Spitfire Mk.21 or 23 Prototypes
1/72 XtraKit Spitfire Mk.22 (X3 --- 'cause they're cheap, all for GBP15.00 [no VAT though])
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

Army of One

Quote from: The Wooksta! on July 08, 2013, 03:35:10 PM
I'll have to have a look in MZ to see how much the Airfix Spits have come down by.  Could do with a few to restock...

My local MZ and Croydon are advertising 20% off the kits.....unless its increased.....
BODY,BODY....HEAD..!!!!

IF YER HIT, YER DEAD!!!!

Dizzyfugu

Got hands on a Fairy Delta II in 1:72 from NOVO, somwhere in the Ukraine. Should look sweet in RAF cammo and markings, as a serious interceptor that served alongside the Lightnings...?

The Wooksta!

You need to do some serious work to turn it into an interceptor.  There's a line drawing of the proposed ER.103C in Project cancelled, with a slightly longer fuselage, radar nose, kinked wing and wingtip Red Tops.

Given the state of the moulds these days from Maquette, you're definitely better off with a Novo one.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

Weaver

Quote from: The Wooksta! on July 09, 2013, 01:37:15 AM
You need to do some serious work to turn it into an interceptor.  There's a line drawing of the proposed ER.103C in Project cancelled, with a slightly longer fuselage, radar nose, kinked wing and wingtip Red Tops.

Given the state of the moulds these days from Maquette, you're definitely better off with a Novo one.

Off the top of my head, I think the Fairey ER.103C in Project Cancelled also had a Gyron engine which made the fuselage significantly bigger, and this was the simplest Fairey Delta interceptor offered. As far as I can see, Fairey never seem to have proposed a "simple" fighter version of the Avon-engined FD.2, which is remarkable when you consider the examples of the Draken and the Mirage.

There's also an overlay in one of the books (might be project cancelled too) which compares the planform of the FD.2 and the Mirage. As might be imagined, the latter's forward fuselage is MUCH fatter to accomodate a radar and operational equipment.

My twopennorth is that the nearest you'd get to an operational FD.2-derived fighter is a Starfighter with Mirage wings: somebody did one a few years ago and it's on here somewhere (havn't got time to look right now).
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

kitnut617

Quote from: Weaver on July 09, 2013, 04:15:31 AM

There's also an overlay in one of the books (might be project cancelled too) which compares the planform of the FD.2 and the Mirage. As might be imagined, the latter's forward fuselage is MUCH fatter to accomodate a radar and operational equipment.

In the Putman book on Fairey, it suggests that as the FD.2 did the majority of it's flight testing from a certain airfield in France, it's where Dassault got it's design for it's Mirage as it practically matches the FD.2 in plan form

pyro-manic

PM 1:72 Sea Fury FB.11

Cheap and cheerful, will be altered slightly from the stock configuration...
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

Weaver

Quote from: kitnut617 on July 09, 2013, 06:23:05 AM
Quote from: Weaver on July 09, 2013, 04:15:31 AM

In the Putman book on Fairey, it suggests that as the FD.2 did the majority of it's flight testing from a certain airfield in France, it's where Dassault got it's design for it's Mirage as it practically matches the FD.2 in plan form

I know it suggests it but the idea's been shot down on timing: Dassault were flying a Mirage I with a 60 deg delta well before the FD.2 got to Cazeaux. The Mirage III might match the FD.2 in planform but in structural detail it's wholly different, and dare I say it, more logical. I think the most you can reasonably say is that the FD.2's excellent performance, well documented at Cazeaux, may well, by it's example, have helped Dassault to convince the AdA and the French government of the merits of the "radical" delta planform.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Spey_Phantom

4 new additions, but i dont know if they are qualified as stash  :unsure:

from Disney's Planes:

-Mattel 1/xx Dusty (P-51/Airtractor hybrid)
-Mattel 1/xx Skipper (F4U Corsair)
-Mattel 1/xx Leadbottom (Stearman/Fokker DR1 hybrid)
-Mattel 1/xx Ripslinger (contra-prop Edge 450)
on the bench:

-all kinds of things.

kitnut617

Quote from: Weaver on July 09, 2013, 09:12:49 AM
I know it suggests it but the idea's been shot down on timing: Dassault were flying a Mirage I with a 60 deg delta well before the FD.2 got to Cazeaux. The Mirage III might match the FD.2 in planform but in structural detail it's wholly different, and dare I say it, more logical. I think the most you can reasonably say is that the FD.2's excellent performance, well documented at Cazeaux, may well, by it's example, have helped Dassault to convince the AdA and the French government of the merits of the "radical" delta planform.

Umm! the FD.2 first flew in Oct 1954, the Mystere-Delta 550 didn't fly until Nov 1955 and a few months later in 1956 the FD.2 broke the world speed record, about five months before the Mirage III first flew.  Moreover, the Mystere-Delta was about half the size of the FD.2

jcf

Quote from: kitnut617 on July 09, 2013, 11:44:57 AM

Umm! the FD.2 first flew in Oct 1954, the Mystere-Delta 550 didn't fly until Nov 1955 and a few months later in 1956 the FD.2 broke the world speed record, about five months before the Mirage III first flew.  Moreover, the Mystere-Delta was about half the size of the FD.2

The F.D.2 that was tested at Cazaux was the second airframe, WG777, and didn't arrive until October 11, 1956,
only slightly more than a month before the first flight of the Mirage III on November 17, 1956. A supersonic
flightpath was established in the UK in early 1957 and further flight testing was done there.
The Fairey book by Taylor doesn't even mention the Mirage, let alone suggest it was a copy of the F.D.2.

kitnut617

Quote from: joncarrfarrelly on July 09, 2013, 12:23:06 PM
Quote from: kitnut617 on July 09, 2013, 11:44:57 AM

Umm! the FD.2 first flew in Oct 1954, the Mystere-Delta 550 didn't fly until Nov 1955 and a few months later in 1956 the FD.2 broke the world speed record, about five months before the Mirage III first flew.  Moreover, the Mystere-Delta was about half the size of the FD.2

The F.D.2 that was tested at Cazaux was the second airframe, WG777, and didn't arrive until October 11, 1956,
only slightly more than a month before the first flight of the Mirage III on November 17, 1956. A supersonic
flightpath was established in the UK in early 1957 and further flight testing was done there.
The Fairey book by Taylor doesn't even mention the Mirage, let alone suggest it was a copy of the F.D.2.

Yes I was just re-reading it Jon, and you're right it doesn't mention anything about it.  Now where did I read that snippet of info from ----

EDIT: just remembered, I was reading the book about Peter Twiss --- it was in there ----