My stash just grew again (2013)

Started by Army of One, December 31, 2012, 01:30:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gondor

Quote from: The Wooksta! on August 24, 2013, 04:28:59 PM
It'd have to have the two blade prop though.

Actually, I've got a built one somewhere - the old Airfix mk I with the Magna fabric wing and it never did get any paint on it.  Hmm - wonder if I can graft on an arrestor hook?

Would look nice with the yellow band for HMS Glorious.

Edit:  Fount it, looking a bit dusty.  Rather than go for the recessed hook, I think taking off the ventral strake and attaching it like the hook on the Hawker Nimrod would look better.  It would also make it look much earlier than the real Sea Hurricane.  And renaming it the Tempest would fir the naval theme a lot better too.

How about an "A" frame hook, that way far less work for you just the hinge points and a recess in front of the tail wheel for the hook.

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

The Wooksta!

It's an A frame hook on the Sea Hurricane, it's just recessed.

No, the ventral strake has to come off for an early one, in the interests of making it different and also because of MFM.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

Dizzyfugu

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on August 13, 2013, 09:28:54 AM
Quote from: NARSES2 on August 13, 2013, 07:37:35 AM
Quote from: Dizzyfugu on August 13, 2013, 06:52:12 AM
Personally, I just (and finally) got my hands on a Matchbox Wellesley. Already have an idea for it, late, modified version with a bigger engine and maybe a turret instead of the lone machine gun rearwards. Naval/FAA colors also are a serious option - for maritime patrol and mine laying, maybe in the Mediterranean...?

Great minds  :thumbsup: I've got one planned in the next tranche which will be maritime patrol. No modifications just a FAA colour scheme

Yes, I read that post some days ago, and found it very inspiring - it's a very good idea, and a Wellesley with a white fuselage, high waterline and Dark Sea Grey/Dark Sea Grey upper sides should look... different. I just want to beef the thing up slightly - the alternative engine cowling for the LRDA aircraft makes the installation of a stronger engine easy, and experiment must tell if a turret could be implanted - had the vision of a Defiant-style thing with four 0.707 MGs? Should - at least - look odd.  :cheers:

While I prepare beauty pics for my recent XFC-1 jet flying boat fighter, work on the Wellesley GR Mk.IV started slowly. Got my hands on the turret of a Pavla Defiant, and now try to find out how to implant it into the Wellesley's fuselage...  :rolleyes:
Adding an ASW radar is also an option, mission and details become more and more concrete. :wacko:

McColm

Just won off eBay a built and painted Airfix 1/144 Hovercraft "Princess Margaret ", for less  money than I paid for the same kit
from KitKrazy .
Know doubt some pieces will be broken in transit, I have some spare parts leftover from a  previous build .I'll be on the look out for 1/144 tanks or artillery to add to it. Or Royal Navy decals.I might be be able to squeeze in a helicopter on the roof or Harrier  .

PR19_Kit

Got THREE more Airfix DC9s from eBay last night.  :thumbsup:

That brings my DC9 hangar up to the level I need for current plans.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

pyro-manic

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on August 26, 2013, 02:22:59 AM
While I prepare beauty pics for my recent XFC-1 jet flying boat fighter, work on the Wellesley GR Mk.IV started slowly. Got my hands on the turret of a Pavla Defiant, and now try to find out how to implant it into the Wellesley's fuselage...  :rolleyes:
Adding an ASW radar is also an option, mission and details become more and more concrete. :wacko:

Mine is slated for a 1960s sub-hunter: Double Mamba turboprop, under-belly radar and sonobuoy tubes, torps and depth charges in wing panniers, blown canopies, etc. :thumbsup:
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

Dizzyfugu

Quote from: pyro-manic on August 26, 2013, 12:05:43 PM

Mine is slated for a 1960s sub-hunter: Double Mamba turboprop, under-belly radar and sonobuoy tubes, torps and depth charges in wing panniers, blown canopies, etc. :thumbsup:

OMG! Mine is taking more and more shape. Found a leftover Hercules from a Matchbox Wellington, and its ASV radar nose, too. Mine will also receive a belly radome, but I'll add some old school antennae on the hull and the wings, too. Defiant turret implantation is also successful - cramped, but I found a decent solution! The landing gear wells are also under modification, as the OOB status is... unsatisfactory.

PR19_Kit

A 1960s turbo-prop Wellesley, STILL with fabric covered geodetic wings? The mind truly boggles, a reverse time warp even.  :thumbsup:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

pyro-manic

Perhaps WW2 never happened, and the pace of technological development was much slower as a result. So Meteors, P-80s etc are the cutting-edge fighters, And things like the V-bombers, missiles etc. just don't exist. ;D

(I had thought of a metal-winged version, though!)

Today's addition, from HLJ: One Kotobukiya 1:100 Tsugumori. Which looks like this:

From the "Knights of Sidonia" manga.

Dizzyfugu

I just imagine a Valiant with radials or turboprops...   :party:

pyro-manic

Enormous Bear-style contraprops. ;D

NARSES2

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on August 27, 2013, 12:34:46 AM

OMG! Mine is taking more and more shape. Found a leftover Hercules from a Matchbox Wellington, and its ASV radar nose, too. Mine will also receive a belly radome, but I'll add some old school antennae on the hull and the wings, too. Defiant turret implantation is also successful - cramped, but I found a decent solution! The landing gear wells are also under modification, as the OOB status is... unsatisfactory.

Mine will be a simple re-paint I'm afraid, nothing outrageous, haven't got the skill or the imagination, but a similar mission to the two the pair of you are doing. Just circa 1939.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

PR19_Kit

In 1942 47 Sqdn. DID use their last remaining Wellesleys in the MR role over the eastern Med, but I doubt they had radar or turbo-props.  ;D :lol:

Regards
Kit

Dizzyfugu

Yup, I read this, too. Mine will probably end up with 179th squadron at Gibraltar, later deployed to Greece.

Gondor

Received from Belcher Bits today

Set 12: RAF Cookies and Blockbusters 1/72 to go with my Airfix Lancaster B II and anything else I wish to hang them from.

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....